Today in the Spider Room?

asunshinefix

Arachnosquire
I just placed an order for Tangled in Webs' upcoming import! I'm so excited to get my hands on these:

-A. genic female
-Pamphobeteus sp. magnagenera
-D. pentaloris
-N. carapoensis
-And Sericopelma sp. boquete as long as it's not too much spider for me

scooter1685

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Planned to rehouse my Nhandu chromatus into a larger enclosure yesterday evening, but when I checked on him he was lying on his back next to a fresh molt. Guess it'll wait a couple of days.

This morning my G. quirogai was huddled on top of a fresh molt as well. I told my wife I thought she was in premolt, but she thought I was imagining it. Might need to rehouse her again soon too. Her enclosure is a 4-inch cube, and she was about 2 inches before the molt. Might be getting a bit cramped in the near future.

I've been worried that my Ephebopus cyanognathus wasn't comfortable in her enclosure because she refused to touch the ground. Just kept webbing up near the lid of her enclosure, which made it very difficult to change her water and offer food. Finally, after she molted around a week ago, she has started construction. She has started to make a little web-and-substrate cave with a tunnel entrance that climbs up the silk leaves in her enclosure.

So far that makes 7 tarantulas that have molted in 6 days. I did manage to get a few pictures yesterday. I'll see if I can upload them some time today.

Also expecting another shipment of Ts in a couple days. First time I've ordered from someone other than FNT since I started keeping spiders again. More info on that once they're safely housed :geek:

PGRVII

Arachnosquire
The week mark for my newest additions today,everyone is settled and happy😊🤞

Swagg

Arachnoknight
Got 2 more additions this week. A. avic M6 and N. chromatus. G. Pulchripes in post molt, should be ready to feed today. T. albopilosum fresh post molt. Will attempt feeding Sunday. A. avic M1 webbing a lot more, not eating. Suspect pre molt.

PGRVII

Arachnosquire
Got my feeders replenished today,300 or so 1"~ dubias,hornworms and some hissing cockroaches. Always good to refill the feed bins 😊

Marika

Arachnoangel
I gave everyone new waterdishes today. E. campestratus sling was immediately trying to move/flip her dish, pulling it with her fangs, but it was too big for her. So ungrateful :rolleyes: At least my G. pulchra appreciated it and went to take a sip of substrate-free water.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
I got some fake succulents to use in 3 of my enclosures. When I first got into the hobby I was pretty against decorations that didn't benefit the T in any way but now I don't mind as long as they don't HINDER the T. They look pretty good, I'm happy with it.

Ethan Saubier

Arachnopeon
Today I decided to try to feed my Goliath bird eater (T. Stirmi) a giant freshwater prawn, as I have nothing around and heard it can't hurt, and suprisingly enough he grabbed a hold of it. Defiantly won't be a staple food of course, but a nice snack from time to time.

Attachments

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
I rehoused my Theraphosa blondi juvenile into an enclosure that is perhaps oversized for her for now. She is perhaps a touch under 6" DLS, but still very disproportionately leggy. She went into a 32 L Really Useful Box with a generous supply of substrate and a nice cork bark hide. She was very unhappy about the process, both kicking up a storm of hairs and slapping at the catch cup. She is now comically small in the container, but she could very well outgrow it in time.

The superworm apology was accepted.

Being all legs at this stage, she is very fast. Surprisingly so, really.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
My A. chalcodes decided she hates the fake succulent I put in her enclosure. I put it in the corner she usually poops in so she decided hey man, you ruined my poop corner so now I'm just gonna do it all over the walls. Looks like I have an avic instead of a chalcodes. :shifty:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
My mature male T. albopilosum is a real pig. I cleaned his water dish on Sunday and today he already had made a mess out of it (poop, substrate and whatnot), it was disgusting. :stinkyfeet:
But when I tried to take out his water dish he jumped right into it like he was saying: "Don't touch that! I spent hours to create this mess and you're not allowed to clean it away!" :troll:

20200212_disgusting water dish.jpg

scooter1685

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Finally, after nearly 5 months of waiting, my tiny 1/2 inch Grammostola pulchripes finally molted! Now he's a whopping 3/4 inch sling that looks exactly the same. :shifty:

I realize this is classified as a medium growth species, but man it feels slow. These little guys will teach me patience yet.

Also, my Nhandu chromatus has always chosen to stay out in the open unless I mess with his enclosure. Until after his most recent molt. Now he has blocked his burrow off entirely. I can't imagine he's in premolt, as he just molted very recently, but I did just rehouse him into a larger enclosure because of how much he's grown. Maybe he just finally has deep enough substrate to feel comfortable making a burrow. Kinda miss seeing him out and about, but clearly he doesn't miss that :lol:

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
My B. hamorii was laying down some preemptive hairs in her enclosure today. For some reason it's so funny to me seeing an undisturbed spider kick hairs.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
After months of not seeing her, having zero indication of life, and assuming she had died, my H. sp. Colombia klein finally made an appearance today and I couldn't be more relieved. I assumed that if she was still alive, I would see her soon since her sacmate sister molted about a month ago and they've always had close molt cycles. And it seems she did molt, since she appeared much thinner than I remember and has quite the appetite.

I am a bit overly paranoid with this species, since the 3rd sacmate I had of these was my first T death, and is still unexplained to me. So seeing that she is still alive was a major reassurance to me.

asunshinefix

Arachnosquire
I think my P. sp. Machala has decided to try out the arboreal lifestyle for a while... I just about had a heart attack when I couldn't spot it in the enclosure, until I looked more closely at the fake plants and found it chilling in/on top of them. The enclosure has has not even 1.5x DLS of vertical space but I wish it would come down. I'm pretty knows it's freaking me out and it's doing so on purpose.

scooter1685

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sunday was feeding day, and I finally got to see my Psalmopoeus pulcher and my sub-adult Ephebopus uataman take prey.

The Ephebopus took one large cricket and actually decided to take it into the starter burrow I made, which I thought was pretty cool. Hadn't ventured in there until then, and now it won't come out. Maybe I'll wake up to find some construction on a nice burrow one of these days. Can't tell you how relieved I am to see this one eat after the terrible trip it had to get here.

Psalmopoeus pulcher took two small crickets, which was also a great relief because the abdomen on this one was so tiny I couldn't believe it. Thought I was pushing my luck dropping a second one in there, and it did take a couple of hours before hunting down the second cricket, but it was pretty fun watching it hunt.

Got to see Jerry (P. sazimai) too, since I rehoused him. He tends to spend weeks hiding in a sealed burrow between feedings, so he's almost never visible. He's getting bigger and starting to put on a little color. One more molt and he might top an inch :D

My Ephebopus cyanognathus actually came out of its burrow to hunt. First time I've seen her completely out of her burrow since she started building it, and she's still out a couple days later. I checked in her burrow in case there was some reason she was avoiding it, but it looks empty and intact. Probably just stretching a little, maybe getting a little exercise. Can't believe the colors on her. I have to say the Ephebopus are some of my prettiest spiders.

My Pamphobeteus sp. Machala seemed restless for a couple of days prior to feeding day, so I figured that one would be especially hungry. Wasn't disappointed. I dropped in a large cricket, almost too large I was afraid, and she pounced on it immediately and wrestled around with it for a little bit. She's looking much fatter today, and kinda seems to want to nap off the large meal. She left a few legs scattered around, but I can't believe she ate the rest. Not sure she'll want food next weekend after that meal.