Today in the Reptile Room

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Hey all you lizard keeping folks! I decided to start this thread as a counterpoint to the awesome Today in the spider room thread.

Today in the lizard room my Tachydromus sexlineatus are still afraid of water! I have had my colony for some time and wish they would just drink out of a dish! My smallest one Dippy is the only one who occasionally does and only because she "dipped" her foot in the dish while investigating her new enclosure. She is also the only one who has dug a burrow! This is good for me because she is really high strung and has a problem with dropping her tail (twice in the month before I got her)! It is growing back great though.

My two leopards are doing well. Wish my juvie would stop biting me though. He thinks all movement is food! I do think it's funny. He just needs to calm down lol!

Getting my quarantine set up for my Jewelled Lacerta who will be moving here next weekend! I'm so excited!

Post your funny lizards escapades or lizard experiences here

Cheers

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Big day in the lizard room! Cleaned out the new quarantine room for my lacerta.
Got a week to get everything in order before my thermostat and lights arrive!

My juvie leopard gecko tried to escape his enclosure yesterday:) And he has stopped trying to bite me! He also let me rub his head for a second without freaking out. My adult is refusing food atm. She is a little piggie when it comes to food and seems to be retaining her weight well!

Dippy is doing well. Tail growth has stalled a bit but she(?) has been eating a lot. More vitamins and calcium should help. The tail is no longer black and blends in with her colours now!!!

Good picture of Dippy basking in her tree 20200104_144731.jpg

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Today I went to feed my older Leopard gecko and she was so lazy that I had to serve worms to her while she sat on the upper level of her stone cave! I really wish she would go back to eating worms out of her dish but she refuses to now. Not sure why?.

My juvie leo just shed and all appears well with him. Now I need to work on taming him down.

Grass lizards are hillarious! Dittzy had some shed on her head that resembled a crotch rocket helmet! She was not happy to be sprayed with water but it helped her shed.

Still working on the jewelled lacerta's cage. Lights should be here next week sometime. I am getting anxious waiting but thats the way she blows!

Brandon Davies

Arachnopeon
Been working on taming my varanus ornatus like crazy this passed month today he walked on my hand of it's own accord still wont let me stroke him on top of his head though lol

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Peter's Banded Skink shed for the second time in the last 2 months. Really cool species, really, really easy.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Feel free to treat this thread like a diary as well as a place to share stories:)

I use the spider room to keep track of molting etc.

Thanks for posting

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
My furnace went out today. Had a repair guy here at 6:30 am. Heat is back and my leopard geckos and frog are all good. My tarantulas should be ok. But it seems that my thermostat was malfunctioning in one of my Tachy cages and the temps were at 60:eek:. Getting a new stat today and got their temps around nighttime for them. I really hope they are ok. Wasnt more than a couple of hours in the low 60s so heres hoping!

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
I thought my stat hooked up to the grass
lizards tank conked out and bought a new Herpstat. But it still wouldn't get above 75f. Replaced the ceramic heat emitter and same problem. So in the end I swapped the dome as well. Went to sleep thinking I'll use my deep heat projector. Woke up and their tank was around 85f! Not sure but I think the dome housing was the culprit.

One leo will eat and the other one refuses food. Can't seem to get them to eat the same day! And why is it always when I buy hornworms or silkworms lol!

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Gave my juvie leo a bath because dum dum decided to ingest a bit of sphagnum moss. He passed some of it a day or so ago but I am not sure if there is any left in his system or not. There is no obvious signs of severe impaction. He wasn't too happy but actually let me pick him up without biting me! He got out of the bath and was running around his cage in a panic and I used my hands to guide him where I needed him to go. With respects to taming him...he needs to learn that I am not going to go away just because he gets huffy or tries to bite. This is important for leos in the steps to tame them. He hasn't bit me in a week so I think he is figuring out that biting doesn't work. Or threat posturing.

Finally got all my supplies for the Jewelled lacerta and setting up his tank tonight. With a little bit of luck in the humidity department I may be finally picking him up tomorrow :)

Just need to see how this particular setup goes.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
So Mr Mosseater finally ate after about 10 days! He wouldnt eat mealies, hornworms or crickets. And I couldn't find any silkworms. So I resorted to gecko crack...wax worms! Hopefully he has his appetite stimulated and starts eating horns and mealies again. He just ate 200 mealworms worth of fat so he should be good for that. I gave him a bath and he screamed at me when I took him out! I have hope for taming him as he doesn't bite me anymore and seems curious about what is outside his cage. Very fast and spazzy though.

Finally ready for my jeweled lacerta to come to his new place. Humidity is dropping down to about 38 so I should be able to control that with some light misting. And temps are holding well at 90f. He has at least 8 inches of sub at the back to dig and make a burrow.

Grass lizards had a rare day off of feeding. I usually give them crickets every day but about once every month or two I purposefully don't feed them. Especially when their interest in food wanes a bit. Give em a day and they will munch down.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Finally got the lacerta home and he is settling in ok. Ate a dish of mealworms right away and even at on a hide while I talked to him for a few minutes :)

Watched my frog eat for the first time today. I usually feed and walk away but I noticed some movement in it's cage so I watched it munch a few crix:)

Not much to say about the grass lizards. On to the leos an I hope the gecko juvie eats again today.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Yoshi (lacerta) has settled in nicely. He seems happy to be the dominant lizard in his own tank and loves his basking spot! He is shedding and looks very funny.

Grass lizards are doing ok. Couldn't find Dippy at all yesterday so I went digging through the substrate with a stick! I found her and she was not happy! Only tachy I have that buries herself. And she didn't run from water today either :)

Leo's are doing good. My adult is spending some time climbing her hides. And the juvie is eating though not a lot. At least a few worms a day though. I may decrease the feeding schedule a bit.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Peter's Banded Skink shed for the second time in the last 2 months. Really cool species, really, really easy.
That's a gorgeous lizard, I hadn't heard of it before.

Mine have been good, beardie crapped in her food dish again, and the cresties are looking fine as always. Looking to possibly get a day gecko, so just doing research at this point and figuring out if I can provide the proper setup.