tobacco beetles?

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So I have a question for the beetle experts here.

I have started to get into another hobby....which is Cigars. Well One of the major problems with cigars is tobacco beetles eating your cigars up. They usually occur when the cigars are shipped in heat above 70 degrees F or stored above 65 F for long periods of time.

There are eggs in almost 90% of the cigars made. so some people started slowing chilling there cigars to where they could freeze them safely and kill any larva or eggs and even adult beetles. but there is a huge issue on if the freezing affecting flavor of the cigars so people are skeptical on doing it.

So my question to you is, would there be a way to eradicate the beetles and eggs without freezing? It would need to be odorless, organic, and keep the integrity of the cigar intact

I thought maybe Co2 but that would only kill the adults or larva and still leave eggs.

would there be a better method than freezing? or is that about as good as it gets?

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Did you ever think it's the beetles dying that affects the taste, you know how bugs get all mushy/really hard when they die? Fresh beetles are apparently tastier to you guys. :p

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would say the the freezing affects the oils in the leaves of the cigar.