Toads - Frogs

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Do they shed?

My european Green Toad is sitting really weird and i see sth on it that looks like skin...

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, I've never seen it or hear about it much, but they do shed, apparently.

Bry

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
as far as I know all reptiles shed. not sure about amphibians. are toads reptiles or amphibians?

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by johnnyjohnjon
as far as I know all reptiles shed. not sure about amphibians. are toads reptiles or amphibians?
toads are amphibians, and yes they do shed. you will see them pushing their old skin off and into their mouth, yes, they eat their shed skin.
Ed

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How dry is the cage? Many amphibians (especially those from regions that get dry seasonally) can estivate by sealing themselves in a sort of mucus "cocoon" (normally they'd be underground) which they later escape by shedding their skin. Not sure if this is what's happening with your toad, but if you're keeping it on the dry side you might try upping the humidity.

Wade

pamandron

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey, do toads stop eating like spiders when they are getting ready to shed? I have a couple of Bufo Marines toads and they ate real good, now they don't seem to be eating very well. I am new with the amphibians, but I think they are very neat. I read where the marines toad could get used to their owners and actually eat out of their hand. Thanks for the info, :) Pam

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
IME fasting among amphibians is usually associated with seasons and temperature.

It may also be that your toad went through a period of starvation during capture. shipping and holding, so it was really hungry when you got it. Now, it's put on some weight and may not be as voracious.

Supposedly, B. marinus has been observed eating dog food from bowls that had been left outside (for dogs, not toads ;) ).

Wade

pamandron

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the reply Wade. I still have a lot to learn about these creatures. :) Pam