Toad help?help?

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Toads will puff up when they feel threatened to look bigger (this doesn't matter much to ants, but it does to other animals). It would be puffing itself up with air in that case.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
If it stays puffed up after all threat is removed and the toxins have dispersed, say 24 hours, it could be an anaerobic bacterial infection which generates subcutenaceous gas, or an immune system over-response. Wait and see.

JumpingNerscylla

Arachnosquire
I'll check tomorrow, I've moved her into a 10 gallon tank, but I wasn't prepared for a toad, so she's on paper towels for now. She seems happy, but her neck is still all puffy. I'll post more pics, hold on.

JumpingNerscylla

Arachnosquire
So, the puffy part on her neck/chest went down a little bit, she let me touch her back and sides without problem, so I would assume that there is no pain there, however, as soon as I touched the puffy area, she started freaking out.

Attachments

The Snark

Old Timer
One possible scenario is infection which attracted the ants. If memory serves, mycobacterium (and several others) are a common ailment. If you want to follow up further an expert would be in order.

It is advisable to implement infection control protocols just in case. Mycobacterium include the tuberculosis strains.

JumpingNerscylla

Arachnosquire
Maybe, I probably should of specified that I found her on an ant mound. Either way, I'll try to do extra research, Other than the puffy neck though, she's pretty active, hunting the crickets/waxworms I put in there. Anyways, helpful as always, Snark, thank you all for all the great advice. If you need me to, I'll post more pictures. Although, something I noticed, is that on one of her front legs, there is a little abrasion/spot, not sure if toads normally have a pink/red area on their foot or not, as I've never owned a bufo species before.

The Snark

Old Timer
Toads are highly resilient, often termed the survivalists of the amphibian world. Some even go broader, the survivalists of the animal kingdom. Keep it well fed and stress free and put your trust in it's durability.

JumpingNerscylla

Arachnosquire
Update: I've noticed a clicking noise every few breaths or so, but I know it's not toad fly larva due to the fact that none of the face is missing (ie: craters)

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Might it be mucus and she's wheezing? I don't know if that would feel the same as air

JumpingNerscylla

Arachnosquire
Oh lord, she just looked like she was about to vomit, sides and stomach shaking, throat expanding, and trying to tuck her body inwards :(

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
She's starting to look better.

BTW you want earth in the vivarium. They love to burrow. I have a couple toads as well.