To the perason who had a question about twings and substrate in the water dish.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
To the person who had a question about twings and substrate in the water dish.

I apologize but I forgot your name and where the thread was. But I think I have discovered a possible reason why you find things like substrate in the water dish. Using my Andean Stripeleg as the example, I had discovered her sitting on the twigs she managed to place inside her dish. Perhaps this will lend creed to the increasing humidity argument, but in a different context. Tarantulas, I've learned, hate getting wet. What better way to soak in more humidity and minimize the risk or getting soaked than to pile things in the water dish and sit on them?

Last edited:

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I apologize but I forgot your name and where the thread was. But I think I have discovered a possible reason why you find things like substrate in the water dish. Using my Andean Stripeleg as the example, I had discovered her sitting on the twigs she managed to place inside her dish. Perhaps this will lend creed to the increasing humidity argument, but in a different context. Tarantulas, I've learned, hate getting wet. What better way to soak in more humidity and minimize the risk or getting soaked than to pile things in the water dish and sit on them?
I'm resurrecting an ancient thread here, but it's a tantalizing clue as to why our Ts insist on "muddying the water," so to speak ... I have noticed, on more than one occasion, my smithi (who is by far the worst offender) sitting atop the wet substrate in the water dish ... I never made the connection until I saw this post today ... so let the experimentation/observation/analysis/educated guesses begin ! Comments, anybody?

Julia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm resurrecting an ancient thread here, but it's a tantalizing clue as to why our Ts insist on "muddying the water," so to speak ... I have noticed, on more than one occasion, my smithi (who is by far the worst offender) sitting atop the wet substrate in the water dish ... I never made the connection until I saw this post today ... so let the experimentation/observation/analysis/educated guesses begin ! Comments, anybody?
Love the ancient threads which have an ongoing purpose! (As opposed to the resurrected threads where the OP asked, 5 years ago, what T they should get.)

My B. vagans is horrible with piling substrate in the water dish or laying webbing all over it so that the water immediately wicks out. She will then climb straight in there and sit on the wet substrate/marbles. For the longest time, I assumed she was horribly thirsty and trying to get a drink, so I'd shoo her out and fill the bowl. At that point, she couldn't get far enough away from it! Sure enough, the next morning when most of the water was out, she'd be right back in there, or else sitting on top of the wet substrate around the dish.

Interesting little critters, aren't they? :)

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There is no need to resurrect an ancient thread when there is a recent one on the very same subject. http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=166459
Flamesbane, your response is astonishing on SOOOOOO many levels. :eek: :

"No need ..." !?!?!? :?

I've noticed MANY threads on the "substrate soup syndrome" (I started one myself -http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=160571) so this is clearly a subject that interests others, not just me. I started my thread because in my naivete as a noob I thought that my T was the only one that ever did anything like this, and I took it as a sign of displeasure, kind of like when your cat pees in your shoes to let you know he's miffed about something.

As time went by, and I discovered, through other threads, that I am not alone!

I resurrected this particular ancient thread because I found Godzilla2000's theory to be a fascinating and valid one. Furthermore, I'd wanted to hear other readers' comments and experiences as relates to Godzilla's theory.

Maybe you haven't noticed (I didn't notice it for a long time myself), but the engineers of this forum have affixed an appendix at the bottom of every thread called "Similar Threads" and below it we can access discussions, old and new, that treat the subject-at-hand further ... Hmm, why do you suppose they put that down there? .... But you're right - in fact, let's just eliminate the search function altogether, and forget about doing any kind of research. Stay tuned for my next thread, entitled "How Do I Properly Care For A Rosie?" :D

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Flamesbane, your response is astonishing on SOOOOOO many levels. :eek: :

"No need ..." !?!?!? :?
Correct, no need. There are likely HUNDREDS of threads about this issue, are you going to bump them all as well? If you wanted to bring Godzilla's theory into the new thread you could've linked or qouted (ex of link: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=68735&postcount=1) hence: no need.

I've noticed MANY threads on the "substrate soup syndrome" (I started one myself -http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=160571) so this is clearly a subject that interests others, not just me. I started my thread because in my naivete as a noob I thought that my T was the only one that ever did anything like this, and I took it as a sign of displeasure, kind of like when your cat pees in your shoes to let you know he's miffed about something.
Exactly, so why not comment in the active thread on the subject?

As time went by, and I discovered, through other threads, that I am not alone!
And that justifies bumping this thread because...?

I resurrected this particular ancient thread because I found Godzilla2000's theory to be a fascinating and valid one. Furthermore, I'd wanted to hear other readers' comments and experiences as relates to Godzilla's theory.
Use the link or quote options.

Maybe you haven't noticed (I didn't notice it for a long time myself), but the engineers of this forum have affixed an appendix at the bottom of every thread called "Similar Threads" and below it we can access discussions, old and new, that treat the subject-at-hand further ... Hmm, why do you suppose they put that down there? .... But you're right - in fact, let's just eliminate the search function altogether, and forget about doing any kind of research. Stay tuned for my next thread, entitled "How Do I Properly Care For A Rosie?"
The "engineers of this forum" also put two other handy features at your disposal: link & quote. Both of which would have accomplished the EXACT same thing without bumping this thread up. Now, if there wasn't a recent thread on the subject then bump an old one, no problem there. However in this case there was a recent and active thread that you apparently ignored. So instead of adding to the interesting discussion in that thread, you split the discussion into 2 separate threads because instead of linking or quoting you bumped.

I am not trying to be rude here, but multiple active threads on the same subject clutters the forum and splits the discussion.

Last edited: