To squish or not to squish...

thesupermonkey

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Posted a thread a while back about my large emp killing one of my scorps...
She struck again! I put a glass divider in my tank until I could setup a tank for Golith (the meanie). I woke up the other morning to find my smallest emp shoved half way down her throat. Apparently my smaller scorp had found away under the divider and decided to visit Golith on her side of the tank. Here's the video and you can find the gorey photos here.. The frustrating part is I had just setup her new tank. She now has a 10 gallon tank all to her self. Even after polishing off over 1/2 of a scorpion she is STILL shoving crickets into her face without stopping. At first I thought it was just a pushing match gone wrong but now it's painfully obvious I'll never be able to keep her with other scorps.

On another note... The 10 gallon originally belonged to my Desert Hairy. He's now been moved to a large plastic critter keeper. In the one day since his move he has already successfully excavated himself a large chamber under several inches of sand, starting on one side of the container and ending at the other. He's a fat lil' bugger and should be molting soon.

Leiurus87

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Man, what a psychopath. I would keep her, just to observe her. This is the first time i have ever heard of such a murderous emp. is she gravid?

cashewman1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Other then the cost lost of ur scorps, and of course the sentimental attatchment of your dead ones ( At Least you know they died Valiantly in the field of Battle!!!!:p) I would be thrillled to have a scorp like that. Keep her in a Seperate KK and enjoy her.

Sorry to here about your loss of the tyke, I have been watching your threads about golith, And her crazed eating habits. Everytime i see the pic of her with 5 crixs stuffed in her mouth i crack up

Normski2020uk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Generaly its not a good idea to have scorps of different sizes together, the big one will/may bully the smaller one. When dividing tanks you must ensure the divider goes all the way to the bottom, as i'm sure you are awear. Female Emps are genraly more ravenous than the male and will just eat n eat. Dont kill her, if you want to get rid of her and you r in the UK i will take her off your hands. My male Emp is a little antisocial, but more of a billy than a killer, he just harrasses and pushes other around, makes sure they know whos the daddy, but interestingly enough he has onlt taken this behaviour on since i removed the femal???

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dividers are in most cases a bad idea. You may think that the animal has no way though but these extremely resourceful animals can prove us all wrong. House different species in seperate containers and you avoid the problem completely.

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sad to hear about wat had happen, all you can do now is to becareful in futher, guess shes not much of a communel emp. scorpions are communel untill they are not, i guess it proves this point again this time, she jus more aggresive then the others , she doesnt deserve a death, feed her well, maybe she is indeed gravid thats y she been feeding so much. my advise for you is to not have another scorpion together with her for the moment not untill her temprement gets better, or if shes really gravid, wait for the birth.

my regrads to the baby scorp. :confused:

Leon945

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
do not squish!

Well.. sorry to hear about the loss...
Personally I vote for the "let live" option :?
You cant really blame a brainless bug for what it's doing hehe... I'd just keep her separate from others..

Anyway, I saw the video, poor 'ol baby.. hope that doesn't happen to me

ReaperHWK

Arachnopeon
that scorpion does what it does best, better then any other scorp!! Survival of the fittest, let it live and kill another day. Just keep it in a seperate tank. It's not like it knows better with a brain the size of a pebble.

And yes, I'd love to have a scorpion like yours instead of a lazy one like mine that sits around in his burrow all day.

Brian

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
SM,

Definitely keep her separated from all other scorps. For whatever reason unknown to anyone, some emps take the challenge stage of agonistic behavior to a fatal level. These specimens should not be maintained in a group setting. Sorry about your loss.