Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

To pull or not to pull

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Sarkhan42, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Sarkhan42

Sarkhan42 Arachnolord

Advertisement
    It seems like I’ve hit a bit of a bump in the road. I’m getting ready to pull my C. versicolor sac next week sometime, but recently I’ve been having a bit of a phorid problem that I’m slowly dealing with. As far as I’m concerned these guys are an American species that present no threat to developed Ts given they’re detritivores,(other than smelling god awful and making pre-killed a pain) but I worry that a bad egg or two could result in some issues if I do pull and separate into an incubator. That being said, I can always be extra careful about sealing the incubator and such, or, alternatively, I can leave the sac with mom and go through the disaster of separating ~100 slings from mom later on.

Just figured I should ask some more experienced breeders prior to making the decision on what they would do in this case.

2. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

How long has it been since it was dropped? If its over 20 days, would pull it, phorid flies are bad news when it comes to newborn slings.....I lost a sac of irminia last fall overnight (albeit, in an incubator) to phorid flies. I would doubt they could get into a sac, but they flock to death and if there's any bad eggs in there, it could be what's attracting them...sooner you pull, sooner you can separate the bad from the good, which will save many good eggs if this is the case.

I would be persistent in eradicating the flies.

@EulersK has posted good info on eliminating them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sarkhan42

Sarkhan42 Arachnolord

Haven’t seen any anywhere near the mothers enclosure thankfully, primarily have only seen them in my feeder colonies and in my M. balfouri communal, which I have separate from the rest.

It’s been around 23 days I believe now so I’ll see if I can go about pulling it tonight then?

4. cold blood

It doesn't matter, they can move fast....when I lost my sac, I saw none anywhere around it, in fact the few I saw were clear across the room in sling enclosures.

Good luck, hope the sac is a good one for you!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sarkhan42

Sarkhan42 Arachnolord

Noted, I’m going to see if I can use exclusively pantyhose to ventilate the incubator to keep the buggers out, and I’ll make sure to have traps set around the room. Hopefully this’ll go my way.

• Like Like x 2
  6. beaker41

beaker41 Arachnoknight

Hahah I had a sac of albo’s I left with the mother and had 1286 slings to separate. Took about 8 hours over 4 days.

• Like Like x 2
    • Beer Beer x 1
  7. cold blood

That's one impressive albo sac my friend....and to be fishing them all out....sounds like you could have used some help there.:wideyed:

8. Sarkhan42

Sarkhan42 Arachnolord

Not great news :depressed:

Sac was bad. Very few eggs to begin with, and only these 14 were really salvageable, the rest were shriveled or brown and dry, and all were pretty clumped. Not optimistic that these will even develop. Bummer :(

Attached Files:

• Sad Sad x 6
  9. Sarkhan42

Sarkhan42 Arachnolord

Unfortunate update-

Checked on them this morning, another 4 had gone bad. I’m keeping the last 10 incubated but I’m almost positive we won’t be seeing any development.

• Sad Sad x 1
  10. Liquifin

Liquifin Arachnoangel Active Member

That's really sad :(. But you said it has been 23 (maybe more days) ago?? shouldn't you atleast have EWL's at that point since it is a C. versicolor sack??

11. Sarkhan42

Sarkhan42 Arachnolord

Not terribly sure honestly, hopefully someone can chime in.

12. cold blood

Not always, but yes, generally you would expect EWLs at 23 days.

• Sad Sad x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.