Votes: 34 50.0%

• Total voters

boina

Lady of the mites
It seems there are only two opinons about blue tarantulas:

1. 'Oh, how wonderful, best color ever, I have to have one!'

And the much rarer opinion:

2. 'Overpriced and hyped up and I don't like blue anyway'

So, what category are you in? And be generous: if you like the blues you are in C.1, if you don't really like it you are in C.2.

(Me, I'm firmly in the second. Although I own a few blues despite the fact they are blue ;))

MissouriArachnophile

Arachnoknight
Even though I didn't spend much on the 2 blue types I do have. P. sazimai and A. seemani blue morph. I'm sure there are more expensive blue types out there. But that is only 1/6 of my collection.

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
I picked C.3 just because well, I enjoy the color, and they are stunning tarantulas in their own right, but I didn't get them because they are blue. I got my P. metallica because I had pokie fever (it has since died down but I plan on getting most if not the rest of the species available) and the C. lividus I got because way back when I first started I said I would never own one, and now I love her because of her attitude more than anything else, so...

Last edited:

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I have a love/hate relationship with blue because while it's definitely beautiful in its own right, it's a trap to newbies. Specifically with P. metallica and C. lividus. And for some reason, no other blue T will do. I don't get it.

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
And for some reason, no other blue T will do. I don't get it.
I posit that it's because those are probably two of the best known blue species, to those not well initiated. C. lividus not so much anymore (at least from what I've seen) but P. metallica seems to regularly crop up on places like imgur, etc. so you have people going "ooo a cool looking spider" without realizing the potential ramifications of owning one.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Given nearly all of the spiders here are various shades of brown, black or grey I’d take any blue T if I could get it so first option, though I like some blue Ts less than others

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
I have a love/hate relationship with blue because while it's definitely beautiful in its own right, it's a trap to newbies. Specifically with P. metallica and C. lividus. And for some reason, no other blue T will do. I don't get it.
I posit that it's because those are probably two of the best known blue species, to those not well initiated. C. lividus not so much anymore (at least from what I've seen) but P. metallica seems to regularly crop up on places like imgur, etc. so you have people going "ooo a cool looking spider" without realizing the potential ramifications of owning one.
Well, and for those of us who are not dumb (me) C versicolor have a beautiful blue.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
I'm in the "whatever" category. Blue T's are very pretty, but only when the light is shining on them just right. Honestly, I find my N. chromatus and M. robustum to be more handsome than my GBBs. Might have something to do with the fact that my GBBs are in that 'awkward teenager' phase between sling colors and adult colors.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Blue Ts are indeed beautiful, but their just one color of all of the awesome options. I have a couple P metallica, lots of gbbs and a couple versicolors. All I got partl because they look awesome, but not just because of the blue. In the end, I think my favorite color scheme is from P rufilata. No blue at all in that one.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
As I said to someone once who asked me if I liked blue T's - "I like blue ones, black ones, purple ones, ones with tiger stripes......"

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I don't detest them but I don't fire the yogurt gun every time a blue tarantula pops up somewhere. Besides, most blue species either have red or black on them somewhere so that makes it better.

Because the first things that pop up when you search "blue tarantula" are heavily photoshopped images of those two species and most people are too stupid/stubborn to do research.

Bierschneeman

Arachnopeon
Good thing you gave me a third option or i would not have voted.

i dont hate blues,
i dont love blues,
there are some i dont want, and some i do.

I find blue more desirable than red. (exception: Ephebopus rufescens. drool)
but less desirable than orange, green, purple, and yellow.

boina

Lady of the mites
I don't detest them but I don't fire the yogurt gun every time a blue tarantula pops up somewhere. Besides, most blue species either have red or black on them somewhere so that makes it better.

Because the first things that pop up when you search "blue tarantula" are heavily photoshopped images of those two species and most people are too stupid/stubborn to do research.
I really just love the way you express yourself in an AB friendly way...:penguin: :rofl::rofl:

And yes, I take red and black over blue any day.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Honestly, it depends on the species for me. If it's a P. metallica, not my cup of tea. Along with A. seemani. However, I do own, and love, Phormictopus sp. 'blue' and I love the blue on adult male Pamphobeteus species (although I'd much rather have a female of them).

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +

I did not hang the award on your post because of the content (although I agree with the content 100%), but for your continual ability to make me spit coffee while I’m reading AB over breakfast, laughing uproariously at your descriptive quips.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I'm not that big of a fan of the blue Ts, but I don't hate them either. I have a P. sazimai because it was a freebie, but I don't think I would ever have paid for one. I'm not a fan of the P. metallica, M. balfouri looks good but mostly because of the blonde legs, and I like H. pulchripes, mostly because of the gold though. I will always drool over red and black Ts though.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Now that my sides have stopped hurting from laughter at @The Grym Reaper’s post, I digress and address the subject at hand. My subjective taste makes color an ancillary consideration. I am attracted to T’s that look like little eight legged panzers. The stockier the better, and if it is large and stocky even better, e.g., L. klugi. So, if they find a specimen the size of L. klugi that happens to be blue, I’m in!

P.S. If the color of a T was of primary consideration for me, it would be orange all day long. I have a few of those.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Personally I think that they were (especially back then, in Europe) overhyped and still they are, even if the new 'Swag T's' are the likes of H.pulchripes, basically a "differently priced", more kinda shy, P.murinus :rolleyes:

*can't resist to joke about that H.pulchripes mania*

But I don't think that, today (again, here in Europe, eh... for that U.S prices are criminal) those T's are particularly priced... P.metallica, C.lividus former H.lividum etc are pretty on the cheap side :)

fleetwoodmcc

Arachnopeon
M. balfouri and I. mira are both about the right amount of blue for my tastes. P. metallica, P. sazimai, D. diamantienesis, GBB are just sort of ugly. C. lividum, though, that's an attractive blue spider.