To many males.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
With keeping a smaller collection, I was really hoping for more females than males.
It just ain't my luck!

Both my P. cambridgei and my P. pulcher are males. Not confirmed via molt. But ventrally, they both look male. (I know, that's not 100%.) I would almost bet my whole tiny collection on it!

I guess I will be trying to find these two little guys new homes soon.

Now I REALLY hope that P. muticus I am getting turns out female. Surely my luck can not be THAT bad! Lol

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Now I REALLY hope that P. muticus I am getting turns out female.Surely my luck can not be THAT bad! Lol
Given that P.muticus males are hard to find and worth as much sometimes more than the females you should hope your luck doesn't change;)..

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I guess either which way works then. Lol
It's not surprising that your Psalmos are all males a good way to make sure you get a female is to buy 3+ at a time and hope the oddsgods are in your corner.

The last group of P.irminia I bought (4) were all males Lol.. I really don't care though because I LOVE raising irminia slings..

While pulcher slings are a little pricey P.cams are dirt cheap and you can buy 5-6 for the price of just one or two slings of most other species.. Send out either male though and chances are you will get a sac..

Alot of people hate having mature males but I love it.. I almost always find someone with a female..

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
It's not surprising that your Psalmos are all males a good way to make sure you get a female is to buy 3+ at a time and hope the oddsgods are in your corner.

The last group of P.irminia I bought (4) were all males Lol.. I really don't care though because I LOVE raising irminia slings..
Interestingly enough, very first 3 psalmo slings i bought ended as all 3 females. I guess i used up 10 years of luck for that, lol

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oddly enough, every Psalmo I ever bought in the past were all females. These are my first males.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
With keeping a smaller collection, I was really hoping for more females than males.
It just ain't my luck!

Both my P. cambridgei and my P. pulcher are males. Not confirmed via molt. But ventrally, they both look male. (I know, that's not 100%.) I would almost bet my whole tiny collection on it!

I guess I will be trying to find these two little guys new homes soon.

Now I REALLY hope that P. muticus I am getting turns out female. Surely my luck can not be THAT bad! Lol

I really hope your p muticus turns out male, NONE has male muticus and they aren't very often breed successfully.

Andy00

Arachnoknight
You might have a surprise.. I posted a ventral shot a while back of my cambridgei that almost everybody guessed male, looking through the molt it turned out to be 100% female. If not, there's probably many people looking for a MM, including me :)

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I really hope your p muticus turns out male, NONE has male muticus and they aren't very often breed successfully.
Well if that is the case, I'd rather have a female. I don't want a male just to send off on a loan and nothing come of it.

You might have a surprise.. I posted a ventral shot a while back of my cambridgei that almost everybody guessed male, looking through the molt it turned out to be 100% female. If not, there's probably many people looking for a MM, including me :)
I highly doubt it's a female. I'll wait and see. But, I am pretty confident about my guess.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
When your P. cam matures, I'm sure @cold blood would take him off your hands. He's got a female that's already produced a great sac, he might be looking to do it again if it's not too near in the future.

Well if that is the case, I'd rather have a female. I don't want a male just to send off on a loan and nothing come of it.
Ew, loans. No mate, never loan unless you trust the person personally. Either trade or sale, that's all I do.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
u_u

I'm praying the Goddess for you, my man, you deserve a pink ribbon and those lovely legs :-s

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When your P. cam matures, I'm sure @cold blood would take him off your hands. He's got a female that's already produced a great sac, he might be looking to do it again if it's not too near in the future.

Ew, loans. No mate, never loan unless you trust the person personally. Either trade or sale, that's all I do.
Oh, well this little dude as some growing to do. At a guess, he's a little over two inches. As for loans. I wouldn't. Not again.

u_u

I'm praying the Goddess for you, my man, you deserve a pink ribbon and those lovely legs :-s
Appreciate that, bud. I'd love a little bit more pink in the critter closet.

cold blood

Staff member
Alot of people hate having mature males but I love it.. I almost always find someone with a female..
Absolutely! I find most MMs incredibly easy to sell...just don't ever-value them and sell them as quickly as possible...most people won't want old MMs, the fresher the better.
I agree...Op, because the ventral side of a P. cam is just so black, it can be very difficult (at least for me) to really zero in on the things I am looking for. Good thing about P. cams though is that you don't have to wait long, MMs generally mature in 10-14 months....mine have always matured on the shorter end of this, like 10-12, but my room is kept warm.

My female still hasn't molted since the sac, and I would want to not pair her during the next period, so it will be at least a year, if not more before she's ready...that's too much time for the OPs to wait as he will be dead by then. @Andy00 said he could use him though!

I agree on the loans...yep, there are several reliable people out there, but there seems to be a huge number that aren't:meh::mooning:. In the past I have sent 15+ different people MMs on breeding loans...in the case of all but 3 or 4, I never heard back from them and/or they disappeared from the boards.

If you are lucky enough to locate reliable, honest people, by all means, go for a breeding loan, because with the right person, it can be a great experience...just expect to weed through a lot of nons before you find the few gold nuggets. I've got a handful of people I trust with loans that breed ts regularly.

Any MM I don't have lined up for a female, gets sold generally, although I'm still not completely unwilling to chance a loan, especially if I have multiple MMs of the species...another alternative, and one I am a big fan of, especially for people still looking to grow their collections, and that's a trade. Breeders are willing to trade higher value in slings than cash, as its nothing out of pocket. Several times I received a lot more than I expected, at the same time, I had someone ask for 3 or 4 slings in a trade...I gave him 10 because I though he was under valuing what he had and because I happened to have a lot of what he wanted....this type of thing doesn't happen with a cash transaction.

Last edited:

Steelo Johnson

Arachnado

While pulcher slings are a little pricey P.cams are dirt cheap and you can buy 5-6 for the price of just one or two slings of most other species.. Send out either male though and chances are you will get a sac..

I'm getting ready to purchase 5+ H. villosella in hopes of getting a male. I have an adult female, but never see a male for sale. Maybe due to them being communal, so set it and forget it?

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
I'm getting ready to purchase 5+ H. villosella in hopes of getting a male. I have an adult female, but never see a male for sale. Maybe due to them being communal, so set it and forget it?
From my experience there is higher number of males per sac than females, by relatively large margin, so you have very good chance of getting male if you purchase 2-3 slings. They also grow superfast, they can mature as soon as 8 months from L2

Steelo Johnson

Arachnado
From my experience there is higher number of males per sac than females, by relatively large margin, so you have very good chance of getting male if you purchase 2-3 slings. They also grow superfast, they can mature as soon as 8 months from L2
That's cool, I really love the species, so will purchase more than necessary (statistically speaking).