To feed or not?

clive 82

Arachnoknight
Hi guys,
I have noticed what I think are mites in the enclosure of my feeders enclosures ( I feed crickets ).
They are small, white / translucent specks that I have noticed on the lid. They are that small I can see no detail such as legs & posting a photo would be pointless.
As I don't have many Ts I don't buy in bulk & keep the feeders in the containers that the pet shop supply them in ( the clear, ventilated, plastic boxes ).
Does this sound like mites?
I know the general point of view is to not worry too much about mites but was just wondering if you thought it would be ok to feed these crickets or just buy new feeders?
Thanks in advance!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I'd personally buy new feeders - particularly not from that supplier if possible. If you can only buy from that supplier, then don't worry because their entire stock may be infested.

Mites should't be an issue, but I'd be worried about other types of pests beyond the mites. I'm likely just a worry-wart, though...

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
If you keep the feeders in a dry environment, and keep your Ts ty and just provide a full waterbowl, then mites should pose no threat and wont be able to survive long. They need moisture to survive and reproduce

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
I'd just re-house them in a clean container. Mites and crickets go hand and hand.

I had a mite explosion in my roach bin last year...cleaned and re-homed them and haven't had an issue since. I'd do the same for crickets.

ERIC cotter

Arachnopeon
I've never had to do it, but I've heard putting a small container filled with corn flakes in the enclosure should gather most of the mites up. I'd re-house and do that in the clean set-up just to be on the safe side, in case any got transferred over.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
I'd personally buy new feeders - particularly not from that supplier if possible. If you can only buy from that supplier, then don't worry because their entire stock may be infested.

Mites should't be an issue, but I'd be worried about other types of pests beyond the mites. I'm likely just a worry-wart, though...
I must admit I probably do worry a bit too much about mites & the like. I will look into getting feeders from elsewhere I think.
Are there any feeders that are less prone to attracting mites that you know of?

clive 82

Arachnoknight
If you keep the feeders in a dry environment, and keep your Ts ty and just provide a full waterbowl, then mites should pose no threat and wont be able to survive long. They need moisture to survive and reproduce
I have also heard this. Most of my Ts are arid species anyway so hopefully wont be a problem.
I have not seen any in the Ts enclosures yet.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
I'd just re-house them in a clean container. Mites and crickets go hand and hand.

I had a mite explosion in my roach bin last year...cleaned and re-homed them and haven't had an issue since. I'd do the same for crickets.
This could be the easier option lol!

cold blood

Staff member
Are there any feeders that are less prone to attracting mites that you know of?
Meal worms...you can keep them in the fridge...you'll never ever see a mite or mold or anything....the worms can remain dormant for nearly 6 months IME. I've never seen them with super worms or wax worms either now that I think of it...although neither of these worms should be refrigerated.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
Meal worms...you can keep them in the fridge...you'll never ever see a mite or mold or anything....the worms can remain dormant for nearly 6 months IME. I've never seen them with super worms or wax worms either now that I think of it...although neither of these worms should be refrigerated.
I do like mealworms as feeders, especially for slings. I know that the wife would have something to say if she found mealworms in the fridge though!
I was thinking of getting some calci worms ( think these are the same as wax worms?) for the smaller Ts & get some supers for the bigger Ts.
I have read that wax worms don't need to be fed / gut loading?
Do you feed super worms as you do mealworms?