To dig up, or not to dig up..,

dopamine

Arachnobaron
If you're worried about the T being dead just give the enclosure a sniff. You'll smell it.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Might I also recommend not leaving crickets in the enclosure? They can be awful nasty to our precious Ts, as you found out.

I have dug up a T a time or two... sometimes you just need that peace of mind that they are okay!

Jeff23

Arachnolord
You need a tiny spider bot with a webcam or a Tarantula GPS belt.:wacky:

I have a bunch of T's that I haven't seen since the first day I put them in the enclosure. I only put in pre-kill for the ones that burrow and aren't present to take it immediately. But most of mine are slings so the decision is easy. I am not sure how I will handle it when they are Juvenile's or adults. Crickets can be hard to retrieve from some containers.

I tape a flap on one side of my enclosures to block light and create a pre-burrow on that side to hope they will burrow there, but it is still a roll of the dice.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I've never smelled a dead T but I imagine if it is that big there should be some smell. A 1 inch dubia reeks if it's left out dead too long.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've never smelled a dead T but I imagine if it is that big there should be some smell. A 1 inch dubia reeks if it's left out dead too long.
Hmmm there's no odor, just smells like substrate. That's good news I assume lol

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Hmmm there's no odor, just smells like substrate. That's good news I assume lol
Look for subtle changes in his webbing or the entrance(s) to his burrow..A lot of Ts in my collection over the years have been pet holes and thats one thing I do to figure out if the little buggers are still kicking..

It can be very subtle so take pics of the enclosure if you need a reference in between check ups..