To dig up, or not to dig up..,

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That is the $1,000,000 question!

I haven't seen any sign of my subadult M. balfouri in many months. Its got a big web teepee thing sorta going on so he could just be hanging out in there. BUT my husband thinks its dead, that the crickets ate him during molt, perhaps. He was to dig it up.

I had a similar issues w my P. Brachyramosa a few months ago. When I dug him up he was dead, dismembered with two big holes thru the top of his carapace. Needless to say he didn't make it.

When should I (if I actually do) dig him up. Doesn't smell like death in there, but we did notice the dried out shells of a dead cricket or two that clearly died of old age.

Someone help... My husband wreally wants to dig it up - he did it once before and the poor balfouri was terrified and then needed to refurbish his surroundings from scratch. I don't want to bug it if he's alive and hiding in its Labyrinth of web tunnel, which is what I'm thinking .

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Is there no way to view it other than digging it up? I wouldn't, but I can understand your husband's fear. My biggest issue with these animals.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
my P muticus hid for a year before molting and opening up its burrow. give it time.
ps this is why i think OBs are kind of annoying to keep sometimes, its very hard to keep track of premolt and molts.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you dig it up, there's only 2 outcomes, 1. An upset T that has to rebuild (so what) 2. You find a dead T.

I usually say let nature take its course. However, if that means prey eating your pet, then not good.

I have the same issue with 3 different species, including balfouri. It's a bit nerve racking.

If you dig it up and it's fine, there is a way to force the T to dig along the sides of the glass so you can see it (until it webs over window).

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Try tickling him out with a broom bristle...
Dude thanks for the reminder!! No matter how many times I've seen that and told people about it for a different reason, I never think to do it for this purpose!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
my P muticus hid for a year before molting and opening up its burrow. give it time.
ps this is why i think OBs are kind of annoying to keep sometimes, its very hard to keep track of premolt and molts.
OBs= obligate burrowers. ;)

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you dig it up, there's only 2 outcomes, 1. An upset T that has to rebuild (so what) 2. You find a dead T.

I usually say let nature take its course. However, if that means prey eating your pet, then not good.

I have the same issue with 3 different species, including balfouri. It's a bit nerve racking.

If you dig it up and it's fine, there is a way to force the T to dig along the sides of the glass so you can see it (until it webs over window).
<3 u Viper

Last edited:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I've had a few of my Ts stay down for a long time when they were smaller. I'd just do pre killed food on the feeding cycle and see if it goes missing. It could be just full and hiding out till it molts. One of my I.mira stopped getting it's food and there was no sign of life in the tank for almost two months and recently tossed out a molt and went back to eating.

You don't want to go poking at it if it's just molted recently and if it's been down there that long you can't know either way.

Depending on what size you call a juvie if it is dead you'll smell it. IMO until you do leave it be.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
My E.campestratus went to ground for six months, coming back out again in a new dress.
Your husband seems very keen on digging up T's...:D

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I was concerned about one of my pulchras recently. I hadnt seen her in months and she is small juvenile so I thought as odd. At first I thought molting process so leave her be. Then after a long period of time I thought something was not right. I opened up her burrow and found a very lethargic T with a shriveled abdomen and an exuviae.

It seemed maybe she didnt have the energy after the moult to dig her way back out. Well thats the only reason I could think off. I put her in a new enclosure and withing 2 hours the water dish was empty. Filled it up again later that night empty again. I think she really needed rescuing.

I usually would advise folks to leave their Ts be but in some cases its necessary to uproot them. I almost lost one of the jewels of my collection.

as @viper69 said, there is no real harm done if you dig it up.

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Of my three balfouri I've owned since around 2012, they only really make a short appearance for me once a year. I wouldn't really worry. They weren't eating for a while, either.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Of my three balfouri I've owned since around 2012, they only really make a short appearance for me once a year. I wouldn't really worry. They weren't eating for a while, either.
How odd, mine are out every day until they molt. Interesting.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My E.campestratus went to ground for six months, coming back out again in a new dress.
Your husband seems very keen on digging up T's...:D
I know right?? I told him just to leave it alone. But he was right about the p brachyramosa so now he thinks he's smart lol

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My balfouri used to come out every evening. But he closed off his web and now no longer visits outside of it. It's been like that for several months so I'm sure if he was gonna molt it prob would've already... no??

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My balfouri used to come out every evening. But he closed off his web and now no longer visits outside of it. It's been like that for several months so I'm sure if he was gonna molt it prob would've already... no??
Who knows

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine used to be out every evening until they hit around 2-2.5" DLS, then vanished. My largest one suddenly started making nightly appearances for around a month this year, then went back into hiding. Lol I was sooooo excited though when she came out. It was more exciting than Christmas morning hahahahahahaha

creepa

Arachnoknight
edit..., didn't read the whole first post.:confused:

Last edited: