To dig or Not to Dig

TJ 68

Arachnopeon
I Bought Several Ts With enclosures a couple of months ago from a local keeper. One was a Aphonopelma hentizi. It was buried in its hide. I dont know how long it was in there but , its been about 2 months now. Im not going to dig it up (just seemed like a good title) was just wondering if anyone has one and how long is norm. Ive had a C. lividus go for about 5 months. I think im more anxious because I haven't seen it yet. Thanks for any Info

JDS123

Arachnosquire
so frustrating. how deep is it?

Years ago I quit keepin fossorial species because of this, but even some others will make you crazy.

I try to use enclosures with clear bottoms and or start dens for them close to the sides so I can always try and see if they are still alive.

Some will say leave it, some will say lightly dig a little, or use a long blade of grass or something and see if you can trick it out a bit, you certainly don't wanna happen to dig it up while it's molting though on accident.

Tough one.

Does food disappear?

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Had a G. pulchra, missing for over 2 years...

In most cases I put up with it and accept the spider behavior. - With new animals/species, I check if I have a bad feeling, but this usually only makes the disappearance longer. The spider burrows in again and the interval starts over. With an Aphonopelma I would expect this behavior and just wait it out no matter how long it takes. This is nothing unusual!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Had several species disappear, molt come out bigger etc- no right answer

JDS123

Arachnosquire
Had a G. pulchra, missing for over 2 years...

In most cases I put up with it and accept the spider behavior. - With new animals/species, I check if I have a bad feeling, but this usually only makes the disappearance longer. The spider burrows in again and the interval starts over. With an Aphonopelma I would expect this behavior and just wait it out no matter how long it takes. This is nothing unusual!
Is the hentzi more likely to do that? I've had and still hav chalcodes and they never did or do, luckily for me I guess....

I have a juvenile G. pulchra that I hope doesn't do what yours did dang.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
That's not a bad sign. Spiders do what spiders do, and for some species, burying is part of it! And any Aphonopelma or Grammostola will dig if they are fit and given the opportunity.

JDS123

Arachnosquire
That's not a bad sign. Spiders do what spiders do, and for some species, burying is part of it! And any Aphonopelma or Grammostola will dig if they are fit and given the opportunity.
oh yeah they dig, they just don't disappear long. Thanks man.

about 25 years ago I had a T. blondi that would vanish for quite awhile, it was the only one of 3 that would do that. weird.

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
Keep in mind that just about all non-arboreal tarantulas are fossorial in the wild; it's more that some are less inclined to do this than others in captive settings.

JDS123

Arachnosquire
Keep in mind that just about all non-arboreal tarantulas are fossorial in the wild; it's more that some are less inclined to do this than others in captive settings.
I've certainly had a handful that like to vanish, but most only dig so deep, or even better yet, many of them i creat burrows and give a shelter and they accept it and don't go dig crazy, they have the opportunity but I'm happy when they decide not to lol.

Any thoughts on what the OP should do?
I would like to at least know if food is disappearing.
My only concern is she received it this way and still hasn't seen it lol.

TJ 68

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the feedback. Ive placed crickets in about every two weeks, but they don't disappear. Its not enough substate, only about 1 1/2-2". I can tell where it is/was by the way the substrate is pilled up. I have and have had fossorials. Also My E. eatuman and H. gigas are never seen above ground but they are in Habs I made with "viewing holes" and 10+ inches of substrate (and food disappears quickly) I Think Ill go with 8 legged on this one and just wait it out , I have plenty other to look at and will be going to get a couple more next week. Not the first time I had a Tank of dirt for a pet, Thanks again, Ted

Thanks for the info, This is a tank I bought so, its not set up properly, One more reason i'm anxious for a "showing". I use leaf litter,moss,and heat treated twigs/chips to add to the substrate to help shore up tunnels, Thanks for the tip

Is the hentzi more likely to do that? I've had and still hav chalcodes and they never did or do, luckily for me I guess....

I have a juvenile G. pulchra that I hope doesn't do what yours did dang.
Ive heard the A.hentzi will bury/molt more often if it is "over fed" just something Ive heard. was just wondering when I might get to see what I got, Thanks

To dig or Not to Dig

Attachments

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Had a C fimbriatus for two years, got it at about 3/4-1", never saw it once for the two years til I gave it away, but food disappeared sometimes. I dug it up when I gave it away to see what it looked like and just be sure it was alive and fine, and it was 3-4" and very, VERY pissed over me doing so.

Currently I'm on month four of not seeing my E.colonica, and food hasn't been eaten so I'm just guessing it's in premolt. A hidden spider is a very happy spider!

But offering predug hides, especially ones against the glass, help keep our mind at east so we can be sure they're still alive and happy. But they always are. You'll smell it if they aren't.