To breed or not to breed

Abyss

Arachnoknight
well, my female P. Met is about that age where love is in the air. Shes a gorgeous T an im sure would make lots of pretty baby T's.
While i have been keeping T's and making hides for many many years i have never even thought of breeding but now im debating trying my hand.

I have a small collection so dedicating care time shouldnt be much issue and my new work schedule will allow some extra T time if/when need be.

I have LOTS of research and prep work to do yet of course but im curious what everyone would do. Having never bred any before leaves me a bit intimidated to be honest. Im VERY confident in my ability and my care and how i work with T's but this would be my 1st attempt so not sure.

Thnx

Abyss

Arachnoknight
*note
@Toxoderidae and a nice couple i just met at petco are local to me.
Fairly sure tox said he has a male or 2 and the couple have a suspect male still immature so theres time to prep and local availability as well.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
I've read that P. metallica can be a tricky species to breed. I'd recommend you try out another species before. OWs tend to be the easiest (from my reading).

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Remember that if you do decide to breed, do it right after the female molts. If the female molts after mating, the sperm is cast away with the old exoskeleton and lost. Only when the female lays the eggs do they touch the sperm stored in her operculum.

FishermanSteve

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I probably wouldn't choose p. metallica as my first t to breed. They are just too costly. If your female decides to be aggressive and attacks the male you could end up losing a lot of money quickly.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I would search out an experienced keeper/breeder and go about mating together. Poecilotheria, especially P.metallica, are too precious and costly to not be bred. Especially with the possible ban coming up in the US, keepers need to breed them to keep the species
available.
But i wouldn't do it on my own, that is too much a risk for a first breeding.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
I would search out an experienced keeper/breeder and go about mating together. Poecilotheria, especially P.metallica, are too precious and costly to not be bred. Especially with the possible ban coming up in the US, keepers need to breed them to keep the species
available.
But i wouldn't do it on my own, that is too much a risk for a first breeding.
Agreed fully, thats why im glad to have one and the possibility of adding more to the hobby (many times over if all goes well). Also a few local peeps close by makes it better as far as the process is concerned too.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
I've read that P. metallica can be a tricky species to breed. I'd recommend you try out another species before. OWs tend to be the easiest (from my reading).
Its the only species i have that i am interested in breeding if/when oportunity presents. My collection is quite small since i gave everything away when my wife and I moved across country a few years ago and am just now getting back into keeping since we are settled now.
I agree starting on "easier" species would be better BUT to aleviate that, im not even opposed to loaning the female for example is @Toxoderidae is more versed and has better availability to care for a sac then since hes local, im sure he and I can work out something to where we can take my girl to his house an do everything there and once he pulls the sac, bring her back home.
W/local options available, im not opposed to other ideas as well.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
There's nothing wrong with trying your hand at a P. Metallica first. My first pairing was with a P. striata, and it went dandy. I say go for it.

Christian Jocson

Arachnopeon
I did a lot of research before attempting to breed this species. It seems that many people have special ways of doing it with warm/cool phases. I bred mine as you would do any pokie, and it seems promising. I'm just hoping she drops a fertile sac or doesn't molt out!

That being said, I have two mature males (one matured September, one matured October) and one male who is a molt away from maturity if you are interested.

Attachments

Christian Jocson

Arachnopeon
Btw, this species was the first species Ive attempted to breed. Don't let other discourage you. Just do plenty of research, read journals, watch videos and most importantly, talk to members who have had personal experience with p.metallica pairing.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Btw, this species was the first species Ive attempted to breed. Don't let other discourage you. Just do plenty of research, read journals, watch videos and most importantly, talk to members who have had personal experience with p.metallica pairing.
Agreed fully, this thread is the start of my info gathering and i have sent a msg to @louise f as i have seen a few of her videos an know shes been a solid breeder.

Actually have the local guy ready to drop off a MM as soon as im ready so im going to get what i need setup while we wait for my girl to moult (gotta be getting close to premoult)

Christian Jocson

Arachnopeon
Agreed fully, this thread is the start of my info gathering and i have sent a msg to @louise f as i have seen a few of her videos an know shes been a solid breeder.

Actually have the local guy ready to drop off a MM as soon as im ready so im going to get what i need setup while we wait for my girl to moult (gotta be getting close to premoult)
Sounds like a solid plan. Best of luck

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Sounds like a solid plan. Best of luck
If u have an special todbits of experience to offer im all ears too :)
From what i have found so far, overnite cohabitating seems to be the go-to move with pokies.
That makes me nervous as i of course dont want his boy eaten but mostly theres no way of knowing if they "did the deed" or not.

I have just finished setting up a larger enclosure for the cohabitation. I plan to rehouse her an let her settle then as soon as she moults, have the male setup rite beside her while i get her some quality meals in the hopes she doesnt decide to snack the male.

I figure a larger enclosure gives him space to get away if need be since it will be overnite where i wont be able to intervene.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
This is the new hide and enclosure setup i just threw together in the hope that a larger then needed enclosure is ideal for cohabitating P. mets overnite.
I plan to regouse her soon as the enclosure sub isint so moist so there is time to make changes. Any suggestions are welcomed!!!!!!
I figure the extra ipen space to the right allows the male some "escape" room if needed. And the hide is large enough w/2 entrances for both to fit if they so choose.

If you'd suggest something dif plz let me know

Christian Jocson

Arachnopeon
Here is where I currently stand with my breeding process:

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/af-p-metallica-post-pairing-behavior.290883/#post-2581060

Many are opposed to the pair being left alone at night, but I left them in a communal overnight. As did a few people I have spoke with who have successfully produced slings. There is always a danger with leaving them in a communal, but I did not see any hostility between the two p.metallicas during the duration of the month.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Here is where I currently stand with my breeding process:

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/af-p-metallica-post-pairing-behavior.290883/#post-2581060

Many are opposed to the pair being left alone at night, but I left them in a communal overnight. As did a few people I have spoke with who have successfully produced slings. There is always a danger with leaving them in a communal, but I did not see any hostility between the two p.metallicas during the duration of the month.
Appreciate it, will follow the progress!!!
Did u use a larger enclosure w/ multiple hides for the cohab????

Christian Jocson

Arachnopeon
Appreciate it, will follow the progress!!!
Did u use a larger enclosure w/ multiple hides for the cohab????
I used a 12x12x18 with a large cork den for the female and two vertical branches beneath a live plant for the male to retreat in. Fortunately both used the intended areas.

The female was often in the open when the male was around, and they even slept next to each other often. The male spent a majority of the time in he verticals branches and even laid a sperm web up there. Once he male was removed, the female started to web up her cork and has been in there since. I actually just fed her two large crickets a moment ago.

How big is your female and do you recall when her last molt was?