To breed or not to breed

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Maybe a dumb question BUT males are decently easy in most cases to tell if they are mature but how can you tell if a female is ready?
Shes good size from what i read about P. met sizes and is nice an plump. She destroyed the last moult so i couldnt measure but most of what i have read says they max in the 5-6" range an im sure shes there or darn close to it. The moult before last measured a DLS of just over 5".
I ask because she'd be young, shes only about 2.5 yrs old so its not like i know shes mature cause shes been in my care for many many years or anything
Look up scleretized spermatheca. That's the only surefire way to know that a female is sexually mature. Generally speaking, they're usually sexually mature at 75% of adult size. Still though, I personally wouldn't breed a female unless she's pretty much max size or I've seen the spermatheca myself.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Look up scleretized spermatheca. That's the only surefire way to know that a female is sexually mature. Generally speaking, they're usually sexually mature at 75% of adult size. Still though, I personally wouldn't breed a female unless she's pretty much max size or I've seen the spermatheca myself.
I am NOT good yet at sexing but the moult i showed had visible spermatheca. She was a decent bit smaller then too. Im gonna google it now tho, thnx

Abyss

Arachnoknight
it was that one or thos one i think
. This is the best vent i coupd grab of her recently, she dont plike to grace the camera w/ her presents much :(
@EulersK

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Camera on my phone wouldnt focus as well as i wouoda liked up close :(
Best i had available at the time tho

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
If you introduce the male and she's receptive then she's mature. I don't even remove male Poecilotheria, no point in doing that.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
If you introduce the male and she's receptive then she's mature. I don't even remove male Poecilotheria, no point in doing that.
I apologize for being naive on this. I am still learning as well.
Why shouldn't you remove the male? Can't it be reused for a different female.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Yea, you remove them at some point for sure but theres mixed emotions on rather to leave them in just overnite, all weekend, all week etc.
Pokies are decently tolerant of each other as i understand which is why i think the prefered breeding method (as i understand it) is to cohabitate for an undertemined length of time.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Obviously if you have multiple females you pair up, remove him and cycle through the others, but if its just the one I'd leave him in there for good.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Obviously if you have multiple females you pair up, remove him and cycle through the others, but if its just the one I'd leave him in there for good.
I failed to note you are in Europe where many tarantulas are more common than here in the states.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Metallica are common everywhere :p I have about 3 myself, including a paired AF. Hasn't eaten in about 8 months and I have no idea why.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Metallica are common everywhere :p I have about 3 myself, including a paired AF. Hasn't eaten in about 8 months and I have no idea why.
I wish they (and a bunch other species) could be everywhere here in the states. At the going price for this species that is like throwing a lot of money in the trash can. I just looked up on a few websites and only one of them had stock with a male for $80.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
I wish they (and a bunch other species) could be everywhere here in the states. At the going price for this species that is like throwing a lot of money in the trash can. I just looked up on a few websites and only one of them had stock with a male for $80.
Yea they are pretty expensive but a male is essentially dead anyway. They dont pive beyond maturity so as long as he serves his purpose and theres no other females to pair him with, theres not much harm.

I have never seen/heard of a male injuring a female BUT that is a slight concern in the back of my mind.

His male is a decent bit smaller then my girl but still lol

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Yea they are pretty expensive but a male is essentially dead anyway. They dont pive beyond maturity so as long as he serves his purpose and theres no other females to pair him with, theres not much harm.

I have never seen/heard of a male injuring a female BUT that is a slight concern in the back of my mind.

His male is a decent bit smaller then my girl but still lol
I understand what you are saying. My comment is related to doing this as a standard. If someone else can use the T and is willing to pay shipping then I say I am game to try to help them. Of course I am speaking only in terms of USA. I don't know much about laws, regulations, etc. in Europe.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I am getting a P.fasciata MM for my girl in the next week. She molted not long ago. I checked her last molt to make sure she was mature and got a second opinion (thanks CB). I'm feeding her up really well and will do the same for the male when he comes in. They will be housed beside each other and hopefully the drumming/interest will happen. At that point I plan to introduce the male and barring any hostilities leave him in over night. I'll take him out the next morning and keep him housed beside the female. If they drum/flirt more later I may consider introducing him again. Otherwise I'll hold on to him till she drops a sack or I find someone who might need him.

I really don't see the point of leaving him in till she kills him or even worse he harms her. You really don't gain anything from it. If he is left in and ends up as food then he doesn't provide better nourishment than what a fat roach or two will. Even if I don't need him after the first breeding attempt because everything went great. I'm content with just enjoying him with whatever time he has left.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
I am getting a P.fasciata MM for my girl in the next week. She molted not long ago. I checked her last molt to make sure she was mature and got a second opinion (thanks CB). I'm feeding her up really well and will do the same for the male when he comes in. They will be housed beside each other and hopefully the drumming/interest will happen. At that point I plan to introduce the male and barring any hostilities leave him in over night. I'll take him out the next morning and keep him housed beside the female. If they drum/flirt more later I may consider introducing him again. Otherwise I'll hold on to him till she drops a sack or I find someone who might need him.

I really don't see the point of leaving him in till she kills him or even worse he harms her. You really don't gain anything from it. If he is left in and ends up as food then he doesn't provide better nourishment than what a fat roach or two will. Even if I don't need him after the first breeding attempt because everything went great. I'm content with just enjoying him with whatever time he has left.
Yea i want nothing more then to return the male to its owner safe an sound!!!!!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I haven't heard of a male hurting a female of this species but I have heard of males hurting females before during malting attempts. There are a few threads on here of it and I've seen photos from other places as well. It doesn't happen often from what I've seen but can happen.

Better safe IMO.