To ANYONE New to Centipedes

RJT

Arachnopeon
Today I made my Vietnamese C'pede VERY angry (by taking pics of it) and I want to tell the world that I thought I new this thing was fast and dangerous. I didn't REALLY know. This little monster moves like lightning and I only missed getting bitten by a HAIR's breadth! Pure luck. I used every precaution, and he still almost got me and almost got away. So, be careful folks. It's all fun and games 'til someone ends up rolling around on the floor screaming! :)

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
I have to agree with this. You never really know just how quick a pede is until you piss it off. While you may think they're fast in their normal movements, it's nothing compared to when they're pissed.

Scott

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very very true! I have seen my pedes move fast enough to launch them selves into the air. Plus they can swing themselves around to strike so fast that you literally don't realize what happened until after it has bitten.
On the other hand, I'd have to say (respectfully of course) that if every precaution were taken, it wouldn't have been such a close call. My first pede was a Vietnamese. (A little over 2 years ago) I myself had many close calls and thank the Lord that I was never bitten. I'm up to 24 pedes now and have a much better idea, through routine maintenence and keeping, of how to deal with them. To your defense I wasn't even aware of what taking every precaution with Centipedes meant for a long time into keeping them. Which is just more proof to your point RJT. Pedes are no joke! It doesn't matter what direction they're facing, they're dangerous at any angle, awake or asleep, etc., etc.
2+ years of keeping them still isn't that much experience either and has not put me in a position to predict them. I treat them (at least the giant ones) like a loaded gun with the hammer cocked. LOL! ;)

Let's give thanks that Centipedes didn't evolve to be any larger than they already are. We may have found ourselves on a different link in the food chain! ;P

Atrax

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Annother factor to take into consideration is containment. Centipedes are the escapinest critters out there. There ability to find gaps and pry off lids is second only to certain snakes!

Wade

RJT

Arachnopeon
No Doubt

It's true. If EVERY precaution were taken, I would not have almost been a 'pede snack! That's what surprised me. I'm pretty confident that I know what I'm doing. Being on the new side to centipedes, I grossly underestimated their speed. It's amazing to see 'em move like that! Well, I was lucky that time. Next time, I'll just be careful instead!:D

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Much better of that way. Believe me!!! And if not me, then read the scolopendra subspinipes thread in the bite forum. That'll make you think twice. Careful is much better.

Scott