To all the Snake owners and gurus

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have been kicking around the idea of getting a snake. Now snakes are one of the only animals I never have owned, so I am far from being an expert on them. I have had all sorts of crawlies as a kid and never cared for amphibians or small reptiles. As most were messy and or short-lived. I loved my Iguana, who had a great personality, was large and long-lived.

So being the snake experts you are I would like some opinions on a larger, long-lived species that are fairly docile on average (one that can be handled) and colorful or cool patterns would be a great bonus. I see a lot of folks talking about ball pythons, but they look rather dull to me and I'd like to go for something perhaps rarer, price is no object.

I have seen a few of the pics that some of you posted of your snakes and a lot of them look really beautiful, particularily the amazonians. I'm not looking to collect, but have the snake as a pet. The reason that temperment and longetivity are important factors. Same way I view my Tarantulas.

So hit me with some opinions of great snakes you know of oir own that fit into this description. Post pictures too if you can, I would like to see your slithering pets.

I look forward to some feedback, thanks in advance.

SnakeManJohn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm not a snake expert either, so I may be wrong. I just looked at a few care sheets of a coastal carpet pythons temper and they seem easy to handle. The hatchlings bite a bit but they usually grow out of it. They also have beautiful patterns. Not quite sure about the price though but they can get pretty big :)

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you dont mind spending a bit of money, ball pythons have some crazy morphs! A pastel can be a few hundred and can have stunning yellow coloration. I have two "normal" ball pythons that have crazy patterns matching their awesome personalities, while other ball pythons I agree, can look a bit dull. I've always wanted an albino, but they usually go for over $1000.

If you're looking for a big snake and dont mind a bit more specific habitat requirements, rainbow boas are an awesome choice. My boyfriend is going to be getting one later this summer... the brazilians can be absolutely stunningly red, while the columbians have more of a opalescent sheen.

One of my other favorite snakes is my kenyan sand boa, but they stay pretty small (two feet), but they're very cute and friendly!

markface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Boa constrictor constrictor or Boa constrictor imperator are both great snakes if you want something larger . there is a lot of variation in color and size depending on what locality you get . they are for the most part docile animals with some localities going as large as 12 feet or as small as 6 feet . as a general rule , the south american localities tend to be larger while the central americans stay smaller . also there are a lot of different morphs availible now a days if you want something with a little more color(or less color) .

there are also lots of other possibilities to choose from . thats the nice thing about snakes , there are hundreds of different species out there to choose from depending on your preferences .

ember

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Check out http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/index.php? to see some of the really beautiful morphs available with the ball pythons.

Like a few of these

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/Cueballpython/e175fc76.jpg

http://www.wildmorphs.com/forum/1.jpg

http://newenglandreptile.com/forumpics/womas/wannabee.jpg

http://newenglandreptile.com/forumpics/womas/womalesser.jpg

http://www.boabasement.com/BAC2.JPG

http://www.boabasement.com/pied06.jpg

These were the first few I found and snagged.... there are SO MANY morphs out there. If price is not a concern, and you want a really cool first time snake but don't feel pulled towards the look of a normal ball python, it is worthwhile to check out the morphs.

Last edited by a moderator:

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I didn't realize that balls came in all those color morphs, those are some good pictures. Have you ever seen a green color morph? An emerald color snake would be perfect. Blacks and Greens, perhaps some red.

Does anyone know much about those amazonians? I googled them to no avail.

Keep them comming.

markface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the amazon tree boas average about 150 bucks apiece . some of the nicer ones go as high as 250 or so . you can look in the classifieds on kingsnake.com for them .

Snake_Eyes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ATB's are awesome! They are known to be pretty aggressive, they (at least mine) have lots of personality and their color is so variable that you are sure to find one that you'll love. I've seen them range in price from $50 (like mine) to as high as $1000.

Here's a couple pics of mine.

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here's a couple pics of mine.
Nice. How is the temperment of yours?

Anyone have any other snakes to mention? So far I like the atb's a few of the morphs on the ball pythons. I've seen some really cool completely green snakes before, I believe they were boas of some sort.

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Green Tree Python?

I looked it up and yeah that looks like it, M. viridis

That search led me to the Corallus caninus (emerald tree boa) as well. I really like this one.

Does anyone here own either of these snakes? If so I would like to hear about them. The info I'm looking at here on Wiki doesn't really say much about how they fare as pets.

Wow, this is just stunning.

Snake_Eyes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice. How is the temperment of yours?

Anyone have any other snakes to mention? So far I like the atb's a few of the morphs on the ball pythons. I've seen some really cool completely green snakes before, I believe they were boas of some sort.
It has it's moments, not bad once outside it's enclosure (only been bitten twice). More of a display snake than anything. I also have a ball python (just a normal though). :)

Emeralds and green tree pythons make poor beginner snakes, they have temperaments much like amazons but are far less forgiving to keeper error. They are also a look but don't touch snake, I'll let someone who has kept them fill in the rest.

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
imperator boa's in my opinion cant be beat as far as their pattern and color definition. they are beautifull snakes. Ive had 2 and my experience with their attitude was not good. one was Satan and i ended up trading her to a breeder. just got tired of being biten. also have heard they calm down when they mature. Ive known a few people that owned them and they were more docile than mine. wouldnt recommend them if you want one you can handle alot.
if your a first time snake owner you should for sure consider a bp morph. they are great snakes and easy to care for and you cant beat their attitude.