To All Tarantula Lovers - We Need Your Help!

birdspidersCH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Why are so many so naive?

I'm the last one who wants to see any tarantula species vanish from the surface of earth because of poaching, but the truth is that we as a human race are destroying the planet faster than we can think of. Ok, that sounds a little too pesimistic, maybe get some other questions out for all of you who want to participate in this survey.

Were the hobby and breeding people succesful in keeping Poecilotheria away of CITES Appendix II ?

How many of you think that you are researchers just because they keep ans breed tarantula? Not trying to be cynical here, but there is a professional term for reseachers, namely the authors of this survey, who are not at all connected to the pet tarantula hobby and have their own agenda.

To all Arachnoboards members; Research your stuff before you contribute to a survey and openly discuss the topics you have questions to.

I'm very sure we all, including the authors of this survey, want to see tarantula species protected in their native habitat around the world. The question is if the way of putting more tarantula species on CITES, now with genus Typhochlaena recommended for Appendix I , which prohibits any international commercial trade, is the right way to do it.

Don't we need to protect the local rainforests in their country?
Don't the countries need local breeding programs so that desires species can officialy and legally be obtained?

Research your stuff, ask the authors and get an open discussion started as the owner of this thread stated, they are interestes in getting all your opinions and I'm very sure this can be done in a respectful manner so that the hobby has a chance to get professional researchers on their side, since in the end they recommend to politicians whats on the political agenda of various countries.

just my two cents

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Why are so many so naive?

I'm the last one who wants to see any tarantula species vanish from the surface of earth because of poaching, but the truth is that we as a human race are destroying the planet faster than we can think of. Ok, that sounds a little too pesimistic, maybe get some other questions out for all of you who want to participate in this survey.

Were the hobby and breeding people succesful in keeping Poecilotheria away of CITES Appendix II ?

How many of you think that you are researchers just because they keep ans breed tarantula? Not trying to be cynical here, but there is a professional term for reseachers, namely the authors of this survey, who are not at all connected to the pet tarantula hobby and have their own agenda.

To all Arachnoboards members; Research your stuff before you contribute to a survey and openly discuss the topics you have questions to.

I'm very sure we all, including the authors of this survey, want to see tarantula species protected in their native habitat around the world. The question is if the way of putting more tarantula species on CITES, now with genus Typhochlaena recommended for Appendix I , which prohibits any international commercial trade, is the right way to do it.

Don't we need to protect the local rainforests in their country?
Don't the countries need local breeding programs so that desires species can officialy and legally be obtained?

Research your stuff, ask the authors and get an open discussion started as the owner of this thread stated, they are interestes in getting all your opinions and I'm very sure this can be done in a respectful manner so that the hobby has a chance to get professional researchers on their side, since in the end they recommend to politicians whats on the political agenda of various countries.

just my two cents
Glad to see your contribution here and thank you for your field work and educational videos.
I also don't understand why so many hobbyists don't want to take part in this survey. I don't think any T keeper wants to see any more restrictions on the T's they keep. Not sure that researchers really care about that as it doesn't really effect them directly. No one wants to see loss of habitat or the total loss of a species or locale.
If any hobbyists think they are conservationists they are wrong. We just keep spiders in glass or plastic boxes. Do CB specimens help reduce the need for WC imports? Maybe maybe not. I'm sure if we looked at the numbers in the last 20 years there has not been a great change in the numbers of imported Arachnids, in fact it's probably gone up.
Are you aware of any projects related to Tarantulas similar to Tesoros de Colombia? For those of you that don't know Tesoros de Colombia is a project to help Dart Frogs in Colombia by taking wild caught frogs and breeding them in captivity in country and then selling the F1 offspring exports. The profits from the sale of these frogs goes to purchase and manage native habitats in Colombia. What a wonderful way to actually help conservation efforts. If only there were projects like this world wide for Tarantulas.

birdspidersCH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Going to respond in more depth tomorrow, but yes - Mexico is doing this kind of legal exports for all their tarantulas.

Also I'm saying quite the opposite, to ask and challenge the author of this survey here first and then check the tonality of the survey and their past publications on that topic. It's easy to get things misunderstood, so lets search a conversation with all parties.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Maybe other people caught another meaning from this survey? I don't live in an area with wild tarantulas and I have no first or second hand knowledge of any illegal collecting activities. So I answered the best I could based on the information I know and the opinion I have.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
National Geographic story that quotes Carol Fukushima and mentions AB. For info and discussion.

Does anyone know if Bob Herndon is a member here?

More from Carol Fukushima, perhaps more information on motives foe the survey.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Done ! These beautiful animals definitely need to be protected and their habitat as well. Very happy that Mexico developed a captive breeding program to supply the hobby. If only other countries would follow suit, such as India/Sri Lanka, Chile and Brazil in particular.

mcmitch92

Arachnopeon
**** Posted with the approval of @MrDeranged *****

Dear Tarantulalovers,

We are arachnologists based at the Finnish Museum of Natural History researching about tarantula trade. We’d like to invite all enthusiasts to participate in our query on tarantula trade and conservation issues.

The purpose of this short ANONYMOUS survey is to find out to what HOBBYISTS, RESEARCHERS, BREEDERS, COLLECTORS, RETAILERS, ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS and other parts think about tarantula trade and conservation, and discover some traits and trends of the tarantula pet market.

It is important to LISTEN TO ALL PARTS involved in tarantula trade and realize their point of view in order to conciliate interests and to think in better practices regarding tarantula conservation.

Results will eventually be published if deemed worthwhile and all individual answers will remain anonymous. For any questions regarding this query, please contact Pedro Cardoso (pedro.cardoso@helsinki.fi) or Caroline Fukushima (caroline.fukushima@helsinki.fi)

We would be very grateful if you could share your opinion.

Spread the word! Thank you!

Link to the questionnaire: https://forms.gle/X53QWtk2qrckjHyu5

Read more at: http://biodiversityresearch.org/que...AQ0JRp_EWGD86lQ8Xmef6WRX90qtKo_HF1ns1234eBjvI
May I ask? What company are you doing this for? I know you said the Finnish natural museum but like is there a specific part of government or anything that your doing this for? Or are you guys doing this yourself? I'd love to take part but fear I'm too new to the game I'm a 1st time keeper and don't know much about the hobby yet

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight
I can say that keeping tarantulas ensures conservation, the Gooty Satphire tarantulas habitat is in danger, breeding efforts in captivity can save the species