To all Phormictopus keepers..

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Hi all,

I recently got a couple of Phormictopus slings and I was wanting to know more about this genus as it is new to me.

I purchased P. Platus and P. Auratus after doing a bit of digging. Fell in love with the colourings. But when I googled the 2 species some Arachnoboard threads from years ago came up saying that the 2 were the same? I admit the photos looked similar but not completely the same. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

If they are then the confusion doesn't bother me as they look beautiful anyway.

The most important question I have is what one should I pick up next? I will definitely be getting more. :D

I want to know what other sp. in the genus have the most striking colouration. Could any keepers on here let me know any suggestions?

(pictures very welcome)

Thanks

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I can't comment on the first two species, as I don't have experience in them.

However, P. cancerides needs to be on your list! Absolutely stunning species. They start showing adult coloration while still young juveniles, they have an insatiable appetite, and they grow to be quite large. Can't go wrong with them. Similar to A. geniculata, they're not aggressive so much as they are hungry. They bite everything, assuming that it's food.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
However, P. cancerides needs to be on your list! Absolutely stunning species. They start showing adult coloration while still young juveniles, they have an insatiable appetite, and they grow to be quite large. Can't go wrong with them. Similar to A. geniculata, they're not aggressive so much as they are hungry. They bite everything, assuming that it's food.
Oooooooooo.. PURPLE Ts!!!

It looks a lot like Pamph. Playtomma(Which I do not have either). Geezz, I need to up my game.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Is there any other metallic colourpacked carapaces in the genus?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Oooooooooo.. PURPLE Ts!!!

It looks a lot like Pamph. Playtomma(Which I do not have either). Geezz, I need to up my game.
For the record (and so you're not disappointed), they are indeed purple... but not that purple. Camera flashes do wonders for iridescent coloration. It's more of a deep purple; easy to mistake for black if you don't do a double take. Still gorgeous, though!

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I am definitely interested in P. Cancerides. Are the females darker than males? Like Pamph. Playtomma?

They would still look mystical. Purple is such an attractive colour.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The genus is highly recommended, get whatever you can, and it's always better to several slings of one species at a time to increase your odds of getting a female. The 'one of this, one of that' way of purchasing is the most expensive way to do the hobby.

Keep them on moist substrate with moderate cross ventilation & a full water bowl. They are avid eaters and always hungry except in premolt. They're hardy and grow at a good pace. Like most tropicals they're somewhat high strung, and occasionally defensive. Not hard to work with.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a Phormictopus cochleasvorax and they are beautiful tarantulas. But they are rare that's the issue since I bought mine I haven't seen any for sale anywhere

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I have a Phormictopus cochleasvorax and they are beautiful tarantulas. But they are rare that's the issue since I bought mine I haven't seen any for sale anywhere
They look like nice Ts. I had a browse at the online. Is yours showing that bronze colour?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
In a lot of ways, Phormictopus are like the Caribbean version of Pamphobeteus. I tend to think that anyone who wants an OBT before one of these is a knucklehead.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
In a lot of ways, Phormictopus are like the Caribbean version of Pamphobeteus. I tend to think that anyone who wants an OBT before one of these is a knucklehead.
I like OBTs but these little Phormictopus are very active and have a good bit of attitude already. I hope they stay that way when they get the colouring too. An awsome couple of Ts so far. I'm very happy

crlovel

Arachnopeon
My little cancerides is a blast. Growing fast, eating like a horse. She doesn't just grab prey, she tackles it.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Phormics are one of the few NW terrestrials that will give me an occasional defensive stance. I love it! Kicking hairs is kind of a lazy way to address intruders, granted it works, but who wants to itch for a few hours? I'd much rather they stand up and give me a warning. You have to admire that. How many of us would confront Godzilla and say: "Get away from here or else!"

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Phormics are one of the few NW terrestrials that will give me an occasional defensive stance. I love it! Kicking hairs is kind of a lazy way to address intruders, granted it works, but who wants to itch for a few hours? I'd much rather they stand up and give me a warning. You have to admire that. How many of us would confront Godzilla and say: "Get away from here or else!"
I'm with you on this. I love my Phormictopus and Pamphobeteus for that little attitude. Although my female Pamphobeteus sp mascara does neither it's amongst my most chilled tarantulas

omni

Arachnobaron
Old thread I know, but I'm thinking hard about Phormics again and there are several varieties, with blue or green legs, gold carapace or bronzish, pink, purple or violet. all are stunning and sport a metallic sheen carapace, grow incredibly fast. you can find sp. green+gold and couple diff greens, cancerides, auratus, purple (be wary tho of who is selling).
to the point tho:
AFAIK, there are 7 or 8 distinct varieties. Tom Moran has almost all the Phormic's and is a good resource for questions and pics