Tliltocatl Albopilosus Sling behavior

Amg95

Arachnopeon
I just got this t.albo sling 3 days ago. When I check on it, it is always out in the open. Which I'm not complaining about, if it's normal behavior. I have read that a lot of t.albo slings are opportunistic burrowers. I set up two starter burrows behind cork bark in my t. Albos enclosure. I took some close up shots yesterday of it and noticed that it has one "new leg" I believe and is starting to bald on its abdomen. I can't tell if its possibly stressed(kicking hairs) or about to molt. It's abdomen is a good size and it did eat a cut up meal worm for me the day after I got it. New t owner here so I'm probably overreacting. I'm also doing my best to enjoy that he is out in the open for now haha. I just hope he(or she) is happy. I do see that it moves to different spots of its enclosure. It moves around just fine. I'll post some of the close ups and also a shot of the enclosure. Thank you! 20200326_223325.jpg 20200326_223138-01.jpeg DSC_0009-01.jpeg Screenshot_20200325-214731_Video Player-01.jpeg 20200325_195859-01.jpeg

Tarantulas Golden

Arachnopeon
yes, that tarantula appears to be in HEAVY premolt (dark shiny abdomen), I would just leave it alone. also, that is a new leg, it probably lost it in first or second instar, or during shipping to the pet store. either way, it happened before you got it and it shouldn't be a problem. since you T is in heavy premolt it will molt and the leg will grow back looking almost like it had never happened. Good luck with your sling! one thing i'd try to do is after it molts wait a week then move it into a smaller enclosure. it might be stressed out because tarantulas need the security of a small space. but if you're going to transfer him/her wait till after the molt.

Amg95

Arachnopeon
yes, that tarantula appears to be in HEAVY premolt (dark shiny abdomen), I would just leave it alone. also, that is a new leg, it probably lost it in first or second instar, or during shipping to the pet store. either way, it happened before you got it and it shouldn't be a problem. since you T is in heavy premolt it will molt and the leg will grow back looking almost like it had never happened. Good luck with your sling!
Thank you so much for your quick reply. I will definitely leave it be. I am so excited now for my little buddy. He is growing! :spider: :happy:

yes, that tarantula appears to be in HEAVY premolt (dark shiny abdomen), I would just leave it alone. also, that is a new leg, it probably lost it in first or second instar, or during shipping to the pet store. either way, it happened before you got it and it shouldn't be a problem. since you T is in heavy premolt it will molt and the leg will grow back looking almost like it had never happened. Good luck with your sling! one thing i'd try to do is after it molts wait a week then move it into a smaller enclosure. it might be stressed out because tarantulas need the security of a small space. but if you're going to transfer him/her wait till after the molt.
Okay will do. Thank you very much for the help. I'll start looking for a smaller enclosure now so I'll be ready when its time.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I agree on the setup being too big for such a small sling. You could rehouse into a smaller enclosure right now though and it wouldn't matter. Never had an issue rehoming pre molt spiders, just be gentle as you normally would.

Amg95

Arachnopeon
I agree on the setup being too big for such a small sling. You could rehouse into a smaller enclosure right now though and it wouldn't matter. Never had an issue rehoming pre molt spiders, just be gentle as you normally would.
Thank you. I'm glad I know now and he won't be in stress for much longer. I bought him with this setup and was under the impression that he would be perfectly fine in it. However, I should have done more research in regards to enclosure size and stress. I was mainly focused on being sure an enclosure isn't too small, not too big lol but it makes perfect sense. It just never crossed my mind.

Amg95

Arachnopeon
He was safely rehouse to a 2oz deli cup with a small piece of cork bark & a premade burrow underneath that. He went straight in. He did use the burrow but he also stays out in the open a lot. I've been secretly peeking on him to see how he is doing, he's still mostly in the open and moving around. He does seem to have perked up now. Thank you all for your advice.

omni

Arachnobaron
I like T. albo's because they are terraformers haha. not all mine dig down tho. the littlest ones do, but my 4" girl does not hide