Tliltocatl albopilosus (curly hair) laid eggs

DaniB

Arachnopeon
Hey, everyone! Need some help. I'm not new to owning T's just new to one having eggs, lol. My daughter who works at a pet store, bought me my first Tliltocatl albopilosus. She was ordered and came in from the breeder then unexpectedly five days ago laid a double clutch of eggs. One she has cocooned and the other she has left in a corner of the critter keeper she came home in and still lays over and guards. I have done loads of research/video watching on egg sacs, care, incubation, fertilized vs unfertilized, pulling of the sac, etc. I do have a beautiful 20 gallon terrarium completely set up for her to live in with all the comforts of home. Right now with the egg situation her critter keeper is sitting inside her bigger home with the lid off while she and her eggs and egg sac remain inside the keeper. I continue to give her fresh water and food in the keeper so she doesn't try to eat the eggs. I don't think the eggs that she didn't cocoon are viable, they look like one giant blob that is starting to mold on the bottom now....So, I can't find anything about relocating a mom T and an egg sac or just leave her in the small container for the next 25 days or so and pulling the sac. Her keeper is just big enough for her and a water dish but not a hide. I do think this is kind of keeping her a bit stressed despite leaving her alone otherwise. I know she is capable of climbing on the side of the keeper so she could leave but I don't think she wants to leave her eggs. Should I just leave her to make her own decision or relocate her and her egg sac?

Table

Arachnosquire
Do you know if whe was paired before you got her? If not is she wild caught? This could verry well just be unfertal.

DaniB

Arachnopeon
Do you know if whe was paired before you got her? If not is she wild caught? This could verry well just be unfertal.
I asked the same questions to my daughter because she was ordered through a breeder and unfortunately she said they don't know the answer to either of those questions.

Table

Arachnosquire
I asked the same questions to my daughter because she was ordered through a breeder and unfortunately she said they don't know the answer to either of those questions.
They don't know where there T came from? what dealer was it, thats sketch.

DaniB

Arachnopeon
They don't know where there T came from? what dealer was it, thats sketch.
Yeah, unfortunately. I also have a "Mexican Redknee" sling that I got for my birthday last month. I asked for more information to see if it is a B. smithi or B. hamorii and the breeder didn't send any additional information on any of the billing or shipping information. We had Avicularia avicularia that passed unexpectedly from old age recently and I was sad. These were all surprises and so I'm not unhappy either way but yeah, definitely sketch. The eggs I was not planning for though and I just want to take care of her and the possible slings the best I can during this new adventure.

DaniB

Arachnopeon
Whats the breeders name? id love to look into it.
I don't know myself but I'd like to know myself. My daughter is a sales associate and I asked her if there was more information on the shipping/billing information that came with the T and she said she'd ask. She came home and said there wasn't any additional information that it just said "Mexican Redknee Tarantula".

Table

Arachnosquire
Well I'd wait for someone more knoligable to come, they will most definitely have some advice for your current situation. (Pics would help, of T and enclosure)

DaniB

Arachnopeon
Well I'd wait for someone more knoligable to come, they will most definitely have some advice for your current situation. (Pics would help, of T and enclosure)
Thank you! I will be waiting, lol, it's all I can do. In 20-25 days I'll know something for sure. I will post some pics in the meantime.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
If they don't know I'd guess it's wild caught.
Yeah, unfortunately. I also have a "Mexican Redknee" sling that I got for my birthday last month. I asked for more information to see if it is a B. smithi or B. hamorii and the breeder didn't send any additional information on any of the billing or shipping information. We had Avicularia avicularia that passed unexpectedly from old age recently and I was sad. These were all surprises and so I'm not unhappy either way but yeah, definitely sketch. The eggs I was not planning for though and I just want to take care of her and the possible slings the best I can during this new adventure.
This "breeder" seems very sketchy. I'll be surprised if it's not actually a reptile vendor, <edit>. I would advise your daughter not to purchase from this source anymore.

Good luck getting advice on your predicamant. It's going to be hard if you can't get any more info - and I believe albo's have huge sacs, so if it is fertile, you're in for some work.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaniB

Arachnopeon
If they don't know I'd guess it's wild caught.

This "breeder" seems very sketchy. I'll be surprised if it's not actually a reptile vendor, <edit> . I would advise your daughter not to purchase from this source anymore.

Good luck getting advice on your predicamant. It's going to be hard if you can't get any more info - and I believe albo's have huge sacs, so if it is fertile, you're in for some work.
My daughter used her employer to order it, I'm sure they are like most pet store "breeders". I think we're all set on Ts for now, lol!

I was hoping I wasn't the only one who has ever been through something like this. I have found that they do have large sacs. I will definitely be in for some work and looking for some homes!

Hey, everyone! Need some help. I'm not new to owning T's just new to one having eggs, lol. My daughter who works at a pet store, bought me my first Tliltocatl albopilosus. She was ordered and came in from the breeder then unexpectedly five days ago laid a double clutch of eggs. One she has cocooned and the other she has left in a corner of the critter keeper she came home in and still lays over and guards. I have done loads of research/video watching on egg sacs, care, incubation, fertilized vs unfertilized, pulling of the sac, etc. I do have a beautiful 20 gallon terrarium completely set up for her to live in with all the comforts of home. Right now with the egg situation her critter keeper is sitting inside her bigger home with the lid off while she and her eggs and egg sac remain inside the keeper. I continue to give her fresh water and food in the keeper so she doesn't try to eat the eggs. I don't think the eggs that she didn't cocoon are viable, they look like one giant blob that is starting to mold on the bottom now....So, I can't find anything about relocating a mom T and an egg sac or just leave her in the small container for the next 25 days or so and pulling the sac. Her keeper is just big enough for her and a water dish but not a hide. I do think this is kind of keeping her a bit stressed despite leaving her alone otherwise. I know she is capable of climbing on the side of the keeper so she could leave but I don't think she wants to leave her eggs. Should I just leave her to make her own decision or relocate her and her egg sac?
These are the pictures of her in her critter keeper in her bigger home just after we got her all set up. We have a cork round to put in her terrarium when we can get her out of the critter keeper.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
As far as the enclosure, that's much larger than needed. It's gonna appreciate a lot more substrate to burrow in though, I'd recommend filling that at least 50% up to prevent fall risks and allowing the spider to burrow. Also, the mesh lid presents a safety issue, as the T's feet can get stuck in there and it can dangle down from there and the legs rip off. You should replace it with acrylic cut to size with holes drilled in for ventilation.

As far as the sac, congratulations on being a grandparent! But for real I'm sure someone more experienced will get here soon, however if it's more than you can take on, I'd recommend contacting a breeder in your area and see if they would want to take on the babies.

Best of luck

DaniB

Arachnopeon
As far as the enclosure, that's much larger than needed. It's gonna appreciate a lot more substrate to burrow in though, I'd recommend filling that at least 50% up to prevent fall risks and allowing the spider to burrow. Also, the mesh lid presents a safety issue, as the T's feet can get stuck in there and it can dangle down from there and the legs rip off. You should replace it with acrylic cut to size with holes drilled in for ventilation.

As far as the sac, congratulations on being a grandparent! But for real I'm sure someone more experienced will get here soon, however if it's more than you can take on, I'd recommend contacting a breeder in your area and see if they would want to take on the babies.

Best of luck
Thank you for all of your suggestions! I was wondering if she needed more substrate despite the recommendations of 2-3 inches it doesn't seem like very much and really wanted to add more. We are in the process of changing of both of our Ts lids to acrylic, I should have said that in my post, I'm aware of the terrible things that can happen. They were both surprise gifts for me and I wasn't prepared!

Thank you again and thanks for the suggestion of a local breeder if she was indeed fertile. I have been doing my research on egg sacs and the incubation process. Certainly if it seems like to much that seems like it might be a good idea.