Tliltocatl Albopilosus curled up for 2 days.

Arobustus

Arachnopeon
Title says it all. My T albopilosus has been curled up for over 2 days straight and not touching her food. She's alive since I blew air at her and she moved a bit. I've been giving her water consistently and just couldn't get her food for 3 weeks but now that I have it she's not eating. I haven't moved her enclosure a lot, kept her in a 25-28 C room. She's molted about 15W ago. Anything wrong with it?

Arachnolove420

Arachnopeon
Title says it all. My T albopilosus has been curled up for over 2 days straight and not touching her food. She's alive since I blew air at her and she moved a bit. I've been giving her water consistently and just couldn't get her food for 3 weeks but now that I have it she's not eating. I haven't moved her enclosure a lot, kept her in a 25-28 C room. She's molted about 15W ago. Anything wrong with it?
Ok, a few questions here...

First is a "dumb" question: Is your T laying on it's stomach with legs curling beneath or is it on it's back, like possibly stuck in a molt?

How long have you left "food" in the enclosure? Also, what is the prey item?

3 weeks is not a horribly long time for a T to go without food.

Lastly, is it possible that she injured herself inside the enclosure? Like possibly climbing and fell, causing internal injury? Providing a picture of the enclosure will help.

8leggednights

Arachnopeon
I don’t know much about your situation- I had similar t that I lost & I believe it was dehydration. I did an ICU & she improved, but returned her & she was not fully hydrated in retrospect. I think some keepers tend to keep them too dry. Just a shot in the dark given my experience.

Arobustus

Arachnopeon
Ok, a few questions here...

First is a "dumb" question: Is your T laying on it's stomach with legs curling beneath or is it on it's back, like possibly stuck in a molt?

How long have you left "food" in the enclosure? Also, what is the prey item?

3 weeks is not a horribly long time for a T to go without food.

Lastly, is it possible that she injured herself inside the enclosure? Like possibly climbing and fell, causing internal injury? Providing a picture of the enclosure will help.
It's curled up on its stomach, so I don't think shes molting.

The food has been left for 2 days now, thinking of taking it out soon. Usually she eats them immediately.

Not that I know of, but hopefully now, I've attached a photo here (the substrate distribution was even but she remodelled it, didn't know if I should fix it).

And to those who asked what the food is: Crickets

Attachments

Arachnolove420

Arachnopeon

The food has been left for 2 days now, thinking of taking it out soon. Usually she eats them immediately.

Not that I know of, but hopefully now, I've attached a photo here (the substrate distribution was even but she remodelled it, didn't know if I should fix it).

Can you take a better pic of your T itself?

Are those dead or prekilled crickets?
Live would be much better. And definitely never leave food in the enclosure for more than 24 hours. If hungry or interested, your T will eat it within that time.

Also, what kind of substrate do you use? What are the white things? There's not enough substrate in the enclosure. You need a lot more. Should be filled to at least half full, if not ⅔ filled with substrate. That enclosure is dangerous for your T.

Also, I don't see water available and the substrate looks a bit too dry to me.

Last edited:

Tarantulafeets

Arachnobaron

Looks really fat in the first picture, might be premolt.

Arobustus

Arachnopeon
There's water in a red water dish (protein scoop since the other one broke and haven't gotten to buy new oneyet). And yes I will remove the crickets (1 is dead the others are alive).
I use organic topsoil and the white things are small pebbles I thought would be good for decoration.

Also: I just got home and noticed her enclosure is filled with silk since 2 days ago.

jakes49666

Arachnopeon

enclosure looks like hell

Arachnolove420

Arachnopeon
There's water in a red water dish (protein scoop since the other one broke and haven't gotten to buy new oneyet). And yes I will remove the crickets (1 is dead the others are alive).
I use organic topsoil and the white things are small pebbles I thought would be good for decoration.

Also: I just got home and noticed her enclosure is filled with silk since 2 days ago.
Definite premolt.

Remove the food and supply a proper water dish. Even if you have to use a bottle cap, it would be better than the one in there now.

The enclosure needs work for sure so it will be safe. I personally would add more substrate sooner rather than later. If added while it's early in premolt it shouldn't disturb your T too much.

Arobustus

Arachnopeon
Your T looks fine to me!
Very fat indeed! So the lethargy and food refusal indicates premolt definitely. The position it's in is not a death curl (legs would be curled beneath your T).
oh she's not dead for sure, I saw multiple times she moved her legs

Arachnolove420

Arachnopeon
It's good to hear lol, I thought she fell and bled
Doesn't seem like it, but there is a chance that could happen in an enclosure set up that way. That's why it's important to make sure you have enough substrate. There should be no more than 1-1½ times your T's DLS from the top of the substrate to the top of the enclosure (lid).