Tliltocal albopilosum (Ometepe Island).

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
So, The Spider House (couldn't tag him, don't know why) just joined AB a made a thread with a list of his tarantulas, one of them was T. albopilosum (Ometepe Island).

Since I've never heard about it, I try to searched the specimen in Google and in here and found nothing. Talked to Jose Berrios, he also never heard about it. Talked to Tom Patterson and he saw a picture in an Europe website, but they took it off.

If anyone has a link or a picture of this specimen, please, share, I'm curious. Lol. Or, tag The Spider House here so he can see this thread and maybe share a pic of the one he has.

Thank you all.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
So, The Spider House (couldn't tag him, don't know why) just joined AB a made a thread with a list of his tarantulas, one of them was T. albopilosum (Ometepe Island).

Since I've never heard about it, I try to searched the specimen in Google and in here and found nothing. Talked to Jose Berrios, he also never heard about it. Talked to Tom Patterson and he saw a picture in an Europe website, but they took it off.

If anyone has a link or a picture of this specimen, please, share, I'm curious. Lol. Or, tag The Spider House here so he can see this thread and maybe share a pic of the one he has.

Thank you all.
I too googled till my fingers bled and found nothing. I asked him about that spider on his thread listing all his specimens. I believe he said it's color is a bit different. I imagine in the future it may be classified as it's own species as its been geographically separated due to isolation on an island.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
I too googled till my fingers bled and found nothing. I asked him about that spider on his thread listing all his specimens. I believe he said it's color is a bit different. I imagine in the future it may be classified as it's own species as its been geographically separated due to isolation on an island.
Tom said something about its color too, kinda have a blueish coloration on its legs. He also pointed out that the pic he saw might have been adjusted.

Got curious anyways. Haha.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
That's what Phil aka The Spider House said also. It has a bluish tinge to it.
Like you I'm super curious about this locale.
I'm going to do some research and see if I can't find out how long Ometepe island has been separated from the mainland. It may have already evolved enough to be classified as it's own species upon review.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Well a quick Google search reveals that Ometepe island is a volcanic island in the middle of Lake Nicaragua. I have not yet found it's age, but it has been inhabited by humans since somewhere between 2000 and 500 BC.
It's certainly a possibility that T's have swum to the island at some point in the past. Probably not long enough to diverge into a separate species.

Ian14

Arachnobaron
I did post a link to a UK dealer who has this form on their current list, as it had some photos showing the bluish femurs. I stupidly didn't realise that this was against the forum rules. You learn something every day!

Omtepe island T. albopilosum

Compared to a true Nic albo:

Last edited by a moderator:

The Spider House

Arachnobaron

Thank you all.
Here is a pic. I did have a link but cos it went to a website that had them for sale, it was removed but this is just a screen shot so should give you an idea.

They are likely to be a locale variance of the nicuraguan form but the thought of a blue tinged femur was something I just didnt want to pass on so bought a bunch anyway.

https://www.thespidershop.co.uk/images/Omtepe_island_tlitocatl_albopilosum.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
Well a quick Google search reveals that Ometepe island is a volcanic island in the middle of Lake Nicaragua. I have not yet found it's age, but it has been inhabited by humans since somewhere between 2000 and 500 BC.
It's certainly a possibility that T's have swum to the island at some point in the past. Probably not long enough to diverge into a separate species.
@AphonopelmaTX apparently those individuals were found in Nicaragua, then. Only in an island. Can we say, unnoficially, that they can be found in Nicaragua now?

Here is a pic. I did have a link but cos it went to a website that had them for sale, it was removed but this is just a screen shot so should give you an idea.

They are likely to be a locale variance of the nicuraguan form but the thought of a blue tinged femur was something I just didnt want to pass on so bought a bunch anyway.

https://www.thespidershop.co.uk/images/Omtepe_island_tlitocatl_albopilosum.jpg
Thanks man. And also thanks to all of you guys helping here. :)

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
@AphonopelmaTX apparently those individuals were found in Nicaragua, then. Only in an island. Can we say, unnoficially, that they can be found in Nicaragua now?
It is not my business what people say or don't say. For me personally, pet seller price lists don't count as an authoritative source of a species distribution record. We have had our discussions on keeping pet hobby matters and science matters separate, and this is a good example of that.

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
TSS have them listed for sale but there have been a few suspect listings on that site (misidentified spp./using outdated nomenclature/etc.) so I wouldn't take it as gospel.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I did post a link to a UK dealer who has this form on their current list, as it had some photos showing the bluish femurs. I stupidly didn't realise that this was against the forum rules. You learn something every day!
Compared to a true Nic albo:
Those are not an accurate portrayal of colour - the white balance is completely non-existent on the second photo and black often comes up blue on photos that use flash like the first one. I nearly always have to tone down the blue on my Grammostola pulchra photos because of that.

Ian14

Arachnobaron
Those are not an accurate portrayal of colour - the white balance is completely non-existent on the second photo and black often comes up blue on photos that use flash like the first one. I nearly always have to tone down the blue on my Grammostola pulchra photos because of that.
Perhaps you could provide a link to an accurate image then? Because going on this thread, nobody has seen one before. Theybar described as having bluish femurs, which is shown in that photo.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Perhaps you could provide a link to an accurate image then? Because going on this thread, nobody has seen one before. Theybar described as having bluish femurs, which is shown in that photo.
Considering how heavily people alter photos, maybe an accurate photo doesn't exist?
All I am saying is that people cannot rely on photographs to be an accurate portrayal of colour and I have provided a perfectly good explanation for why that is. How can anyone look at that second photo and think that yellow/orange tint is accurate?
Seeing it with your very own eyes is the only way to guarantee colour.
Exact same Nhandu tripepii, different camera. And YES that is a Nhandu tripepii and not coloratovillosus/chromatus. This is the same spider - top photo is freshly moulted, taken with my DSLR and the bottom is a few weeks later taken with my iPhone.
Do not assume that photos are an accurate portrayal of the colour of these animals. That is why most photographs make it almost impossible to properly identity many species.

IMG_3530-1.jpg
IMG_3505.JPG

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
Speaking from myself as a photographer, I tend to provide the id that was given to me, no matter if the color of the spider is inhanced, edited, changed or whatever.

That said, I believe one of Vanessa's point is about sellers/dealers/traders, we all know that colorful tarantulas are the most desire by most keepers so, to called atention, these dealers/sellers/traders can inhanced or even alter an image on their behalf.

Side note, I'm not generalizing and I'm not a seller (in case you find my pictures too altered 😂).

Ian14

Arachnobaron
Considering how heavily people alter photos, maybe an accurate photo doesn't exist?
All I am saying is that people cannot rely on photographs to be an accurate portrayal of colour and I have provided a perfectly good explanation for why that is. How can anyone look at that second photo and think that yellow/orange tint is accurate?
Seeing it with your very own eyes is the only way to guarantee colour.
Exact same Nhandu tripepii, different camera. And YES that is a Nhandu tripepii and not coloratovillosus/chromatus. This is the same spider - top photo is freshly moulted, taken with my DSLR and the bottom is a few weeks later taken with my iPhone.
Do not assume that photos are an accurate portrayal of the colour of these animals. That is why most photographs make it almost impossible to properly identity many species.

View attachment 356589
View attachment 356588
I'm well aware of that. However the photos I posted links to are not the same spider, hence why they look different. The first is the Ometepe Island form, with those bluish femurs. The second is a true Nicaraguan curly hair.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
All I am saying is that people cannot rely on photographs to be an accurate portrayal of colour and I have provided a perfectly good explanation for why that is.
Why I completely agree with you about the whole photo shop thing. I think we should pause before we scream fraud and scam at the top of our lungs over a picture posted in dealer from the uk. A dealer that has some pretty good reviews.

There is zero reason for us not to accept that there is a blue femur tarantula running around Nicaragua. We can also accept that a person that is selling them to public, a species that is relativity quick growing, that this will sort it self out sooner more then later. And given that Curly's are almost always blue right after a molt, it is not insane to consider they could over time keep that coloring.