Tityus Thread

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So is what your saying is I can never hold one of my buthids again?

Ok, fine:liar:
unless youre Draipon.;)

Brian S said:
As far as I'm concerned, dont touch ANY scorpion. Thats what forceps are made for
Idealy, yes. but i'll admit the temptation is substantial.:8o

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok,Thanks!!! My B.jacksonii love to be handled..They cuddle up in my palm and just soak up the heat

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
NO,I dont pick them up I just let them walk onto my hand..But don't get me wrong!!! I would never go passed a B.jacksonii..I have a few B.jacksonii I wont handle because they are just to aggressive..I would never hold a Tityus or other strong venomed scorpion.Yet I have been stung but it wasn't because I was handling the scorp.It was because I was a lot younger and stupid to the fact that the scorp is faster than I.But normally if I feel the urge to handle a scorp I pick a Heterometrus or a Hadogenes and never a (3) or above on the venom scale..

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Tityus bahiensis 2nd instar young
The Tityus King! Beautiful scorpions!

As far picking up scorpions, NEVER!

Especially the more venomous one, have you ever seen what Androctonus or Leiurus does when you do not completely grasp their tails in a proper manner with the foreceps and they roll back with the pedipalps, now imagine that tool is your finger and thumb. Now, I am not saying anyone would be stupid or foolish enough but the same principal applies on the less toxic species.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As far picking up scorpions, NEVER!
I never pick them up either not with my hand anyway.

Especially the more venomous one, have you ever seen what Androctonus or Leiurus does when you do not completely grasp their tails in a proper manner with the foreceps and they roll back with the pedipalps, now imagine that tool is your finger and thumb. Now, I am not saying anyone would be stupid or foolish enough but the same principal applies on the less toxic species.
Yep I have seen what they do with a forcep LOL. When Tityus are resting underneath some bark you can pick up the bark (carefully) and they will usually not move unless you breathe on them or get them in direct light.

Tityus are just phenominal aren't they!? Thanks for sharing, Brian.
Yeah, this is my favorite Genus now. It used to be Androctonus but I have seen the light now. I really enjoy working with these. They are super easy to breed and interesting to watch.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I never pick them up either not with my hand anyway.

Yep I have seen what they do with a forcep LOL. When Tityus are resting underneath some bark you can pick up the bark (carefully) and they will usually not move unless you breathe on them or get them in direct light.

Yeah, this is my favorite Genus now. It used to be Androctonus but I have seen the light now. I really enjoy working with these. They are super easy to breed and interesting to watch.
Yeah, I wrote it as a disclaimer of sorts not to be condescending. A warning against any that has delusions of being the scorpion hunter that figure they can hand catch an Androctonus or Leiurus like some snake wranglers do cobras.

Now I am going to share with all what me and Brian are insinuating, these species take the "you let go first, no you let go first" dilemna a step further. Every time I have given them opportunity to recoil and grab my forceps with the peds, once I release the tail these guys actually clung on and gave my forceps a nasty sting with venom visibly dripping down the tool. I once had an Androctonus australis cling to my forcep for what seemed upwards of a shocking minute.

Just to clue everyone in, there's no wrangling any of these guys with bare hands.

;)