Tityus Thread

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Please Brian, blow up that pic and frame it. :)

That picture is beyond words.

Charlie_Scorp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Lovely pic Brian! Id love to be able to go over to my shelves, open a lid, turn over a piece of bark and be presented with that. Awesome.

Quick question: Im under the impression that T.serrulatus is a very hot Brazillian (and I mean toxic, not like other well known Brazillians..lol) so how safe is it to have your thumb less than an inch away from them? Its just a question and I know that you're incredibly experienced......just asking.

Charlie

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Im so jealous :) and wasn't it a T.serraltus that gave you a little tag just a while back Brian?

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A T.bahiensis gave Brian a tag a while back..I don't think Brian has any thing to worry about with his thumb being that close to them!!! They are only second instar and he's not doing any thing to them..But if they did start scattering the only thing I think they would do is try and run onto Brian's hand or try to hide under his thumb..

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Quick question: Im under the impression that T.serrulatus is a very hot Brazillian (and I mean toxic, not like other well known Brazillians..lol) so how safe is it to have your thumb less than an inch away from them? Its just a question and I know that you're incredibly experienced......just asking.

Charlie
Howdy Charlie,
Tityus spp are really pretty docile. They usually sit still when disturbed and will only sting if mashed. Yeah, T serrulatus is probably the most toxic species in the New World.

Im so jealous :) and wasn't it a T.serraltus that gave you a little tag just a while back Brian?
That was a T bahiensis that got me. I did a sting report both here and VL so if you want to dig it up go for it ;). Not really much happened, got lucky I guess :)

Here are a couple more.........Tityus costatus

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow those legs sit in an interesting position. Such a photogenic scorpion, are they normally climbers or is thay wood on the floor of the tub? Keep up the good work.

Ed

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah about all Tityus seem to be climbers although some seem to prefer resting on the substrate.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
correct me if i'm wrong on this, but i believe that most, or at least many wild tityus live in leaf litter and around the base of trees in the forest floor.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
John, you are probably correct. Some species even thrive in old urban neighborhoods down in South America living under houses and such.
Seems like there are a few true tree dwellers but someone else needs to shed some light on that.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
John, you are probably correct. Some species even thrive in old urban neighborhoods down in South America living under houses and such.
Seems like there are a few true tree dwellers but someone else needs to shed some light on that.
the highest i've ever seen a scorpion was a C. exilicauda at eye level on a 15-20 foot palm tree.

in brazil, T serrulatus are found most predominantly in urban areas, and they seem to enjoy cemetaries the most.

pokermon919

Arachnopeon
are all the Tityus species hot species? I like keeping communal scorps but I've seen some websites saying all of them are 5

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
are all the Tityus species hot species? I like keeping communal scorps but I've seen some websites saying all of them are 5
they are all very hot(at least any of the ones we can get our hands on), they are absolutely NOT novice scorpions.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
T falconensis might be an exception. I dont think they are as "hot" as the others however treat all of them with respect.

SOAD

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
T.stigmurus(unifasciata) also occur in urban areas. I found some here in my hause. When i found stigmurus in the jungle they were always in the ground. under rocks and wood.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
T.stigmurus(unifasciata) also occur in urban areas. I found some here in my hause. When i found stigmurus in the jungle they were always in the ground. under rocks and wood.
youre so freakn lucky:(

pokermon919

Arachnopeon
thats not good. thats dangerous.

But i treat all scorps with respect and try to keep a fair distance with a pair of tongs

Tityus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Scorpions what belong to the genus Tityus are very dangerous !! and no beginners species.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Scorpions what belong to the genus Tityus are very dangerous !! and no beginners species.
Tom is exactly right! Tityus are all buthids. Buthids are as a rule the hottest of all scorpions. Even though few are dangerous, all have hot stings and should be given the up most respect. Since i know a lot of you seem to enjoy the 1-5 scale rather than LD50, i'll put it this way buthids that are just a level 3 pack serious heat! In fact, why dont we just make a blanket rule here:
if it's a buthid... DON'T TOUCH IT!!!

enforcing is easy, for example:
"Come on john, not all--" NO!! DONT TOUCH IT!!!
"But I just--" DONT TOUCH IT! EVER!!
"Can I ju--" NO! *slap* NO TOUCHING!!
"Oww! All i'm saying is--" NO! SHUT UP! NOT EVER!"
"Okay, fine!... geeze."
*slap*
"Ouch! What was that for?!"
To spread buthid safety awareness.

So remember kids, if it's a buthid... DONT TOUCH IT!! EVER!!

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So is what your saying is I can never hold one of my buthids again?

Ok, fine:liar: