Tityus Thread

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I recently said that Tityus falconensis would be my next to give birth and I was actually correct. I have one other gravid female that will also be dropping anytime now. Gestation was relatively short, even less than T serrulatus. I believe it only took about 2-3 months.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My latest to drop is Tityus bahiensis (different female this time)

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Awesome!

Brian, how many species of Tityus do you have and how many have you actually bred?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hmmm I have 6 species and have bred 5 successfully so far. I will breed the 6th spec later this year

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Fantastic, I was just visiting the ATS board and you have posted alot great pics over there including gravid females, mothers and their scorplings, and juveniles.

I am definitely interesting in the breeding aspect of the hobby but not til I am set up with the materials for nurseries and packing/shipping for online trades/sales. It's going to be slow going initially but letting this thing grow on it's own accord is probably best.

SOAD

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Brian

The 6th species is T.costatus, isn't it?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Brian

The 6th species is T.costatus, isn't it?
Actually its T trinitatis. I bred T costatus once and got some babies but sadly I havent been able to do it again. This so far is the most difficult Tityus sp to culture. Actually the only one I have had any trouble with.

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
More likely incorrect conditions. I've started raising Tityus sp. at room temperature which seems to really help with survival rates.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi Oliver,
Mine have been at room temp, warmer than room temp and even cooler than room temp. Humid, not so humid etc. I am sure you are correct however I am running out of ideas to keep them.

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Most of the Tityus spp need cool temperatures (I mean not to warm, 25°C is more than enough) and an extremely well ventilated tank (or not too much humid). I've lost a lot of specimens in the past keeping them too much warm and humid, but in the forest, temperature is moderate, and as they leave in the trees, the air is humid but very well ventilated. I recently tried to keep a group of stigmurus in very humid and bad ventilated tanks (some small holes), and another one on totally dry peat (only one pulverization in a corner per week), in very well ventilated tanks (wire netting): 50% of (unexplained) deaths in the 1st group, all alive in the 2nd one. I've also keep too gravid females in different conditions : the 1st one quite warm (30°C L, 27°C D), the other one cooler (23°C L, 20°C D), the 1st one had a gestation of 2 months and gave birth to 6 babies, the second one gave birth to 28 babies after 4 months.
Well, just some observations, if it can help..

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I hope you can get that species going someday.
I'm starting to understand the needs of this species and I think the few juveniles I have now will be able to reach adult instar.

Vincent

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Most of the Tityus spp need cool temperatures (I mean not to warm, 25°C is more than enough) and an extremely well ventilated tank (or not too much humid). I've lost a lot of specimens in the past keeping them too much warm and humid, but in the forest, temperature is moderate, and as they leave in the trees, the air is humid but very well ventilated. I recently tried to keep a group of stigmurus in very humid and bad ventilated tanks (some small holes), and another one on totally dry peat (only one pulverization in a corner per week), in very well ventilated tanks (wire netting): 50% of (unexplained) deaths in the 1st group, all alive in the 2nd one. I've also keep too gravid females in different conditions : the 1st one quite warm (30°C L, 27°C D), the other one cooler (23°C L, 20°C D), the 1st one had a gestation of 2 months and gave birth to 6 babies, the second one gave birth to 28 babies after 4 months.
Well, just some observations, if it can help..
I have the same experience. I used to keep tityus scorplings warm and I always made sure the substrate stayed moist. I lost a lot of scorplings this way, especially T. serrulatus. Now I keep them at room temperature in well ventilated containers. I only spray a little water once a week and the substrate is dry most of the week. I'm using this method for about a month now (with serrulatus, stigmurus, trinitatis, falconensis and bahiensis) and so far not one scorpling died.

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Interesting observations everyone, I've certainly had much better success with T.trinitatis since I switched to cooler temps (though its strange since I raised my initial adults at about 30C with no mortality:? ), better ventilation sounds like a good idea.

Tityus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have the same experience as Eric and Vincent, good ventilated tanks work better then (some small holes).

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
For what its worth, I keep mine at around 80F in a plastic box with small holes just like the one shown below.

It been working for me rather well (except for T costatus) as I have been having many newborn Tityus spp lately. In fact I found a Tityus serrulatus just tonight with a new brood.