Tityus Stigmurus

Fire Starter

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i had 2 adult tityus stigmurus that never gave birth in my care until they died. i had them for more than a year as an adult.

whats your opinion on this guys?

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i had 2 adult tityus stigmurus that never gave birth in my care until they died. i had them for more than a year as an adult.

I had somthing similar happen with T Serrulatus. Two broods is all she produced in her lifetime (2+ years as an adult). I think she was dropping and eating her babies, probably undeveloped babies, while I wasn't watching.

John

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer

The only thing that I could think of besides what AZJohn mentioned, is that they were waiting for seasonal changes that never happened in your house. Maybe the lights not shortening their duration, or the heat not getting hot enough, or there not being enough "rain".

I'm going to go read around and see if I can get some weather details...

p.s. I'm hoping my three start popping in the next couple of months, cross your fingers. :)

This isn't weather info, but it is interesting nonetheless! There is no T. serrulatus according to this. *edit-see below*

http://www.americanarachnology.org/JoA_Congress/JoA_v27_n1/arac_27_01_0154.pdf

ABSTRACT. Tityus serrulatus Lutz & Mello 1922 (in fact, the form confluenciata within the Tityus stigmurus complex) is an extremely toxic scorpion of considerable medical importance in Brazil. Its rapid
spread is partially due to parthenogenesis. Speculation regarding the occurrence of sexual individuals has been resolved by the discover y of a population, described here, having a male-female sex ratio of 1/2.5.
Four color morphs of the T. stigmurus complex are described, and it is concluded that T. serrulatus and Tityus lamottei Lourenc ̧ o 1981 are junior synonyms of T. stigmurus (Thorell 1877).

*edit* Well, after reading the whole thing, there is apparently still debate whether to consider T. stigmurus and T. serrulatus as a single or separate species. There are actually 4 color forms in the T. stigmurus complex. Interesting article.... hmmm..

Last edited by a moderator:

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, I'm done reading for now. As for weather changes, I haven't found anything definitive. T. stigmurus seem to inhabit a large variety of ecosystems, and I don't have the time to do much research right now. I do think some seasonal variation wouldn't hurt. But they should do well and birth with a little humidity and ventilation.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, I'm done reading for now. As for weather changes, I haven't found anything definitive. T. stigmurus seem to inhabit a large variety of ecosystems, and I don't have the time to do much research right now. I do think some seasonal variation wouldn't hurt. But they should do well and birth with a little humidity and ventilation.
T.stigmurus and T.serullatus are still valid species, only the so called sexual populations of i.e. T.serrulatus, are actually other valid species. In simple terms, the species complex is being unraveled ans some morphs where redescribed as species. A bit confusing, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

rd_07

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Okay,

I asked, because two strange and doubtfull reports where made by other Fillipino's a) parthenogenetic Heterometrus longimanus b) Male H.hottentotta giving birth. Report b) is of course, completely rediculous.....report a) needs to be studied more..............

OT:
i think someone needs to study heterometrus longimanus deeper
we've been having huge scarcity of males... and there's been few cases of females giving birth without getting mated. yes, not a single male got even near the house,specimen molted and couple of months it gave birth. :)

even my friend had one of this, he is keeping the small ones just in-case they do the same like mom ;)

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
OT:
i think someone needs to study heterometrus longimanus deeper
we've been having huge scarcity of males... and there's been few cases of females giving birth without getting mated. yes, not a single male got even near the house,specimen molted and couple of months it gave birth. :)

even my friend had one of this, he is keeping the small ones just in-case they do the same like mom ;)
We should stop talking about it and start documenting. It seems like every one has a friend who had this happen. Until it is documented and proven beyond hear say, people are likely to discount this as a rummor.

John

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
T.stigmurus and T.serullatus are still valid species, only the so called sexual populations of i.e. T.serrulatus, are actually other valid species. In simple terms, the species complex is being unraveled ans some morphs where redescribed as species. A bit confusing, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.
I believe you Michiel. You blow me away with your knowledge of systematics and the like. The best I could tell though, is that this is not the case currently. If you run across the most recent writings clarifying the speciesization (is this a word?) of T. serrulatus would post or send it to me? Thanks! :)

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I believe you Michiel. You blow me away with your knowledge of systematics and the like. The best I could tell though, is that this is not the case currently. If you run across the most recent writings clarifying the speciesization (is this a word?) of T. serrulatus would post or send it to me? Thanks! :)

Hi,

I was at work yesterday, so I could not look into it properly or give proper references. I'll see what I can come up with.... Tityus genus is a nightmare sometimes, because first we had the nominal species, then it became a species complex with morphs, and now this decision is slowly reversed.
Getting back at this.

Cheers, Michiel

Hi Nomad,

That paper you are citing is 11 years old.;)

The Tityus stigmurus complex (Lourenco 1999, 2002 etc)

T.stigmurus = form unifasciata (parthenogenetic, facultative)
T.serrulatus= form confluenciata (parthenogenetic, facultative)
T.lamottei = form confluenciata/ maculata (sexual)
T.martinpaechi = form trifasciata (sexual)
T.acutidens (species related to T.stigmurus). (sexual)

The specimens of the "sexual population" of T.serrulatus proved to be the closely related T.melici (Souza et al 2009).

In the recent literature, the species names are more widely used than the forms, so rather T.serrulatus, than T.serrulatus confluenciata.....Although Lourenco system proved to be very usefull for the meantime, I myself like to use the species names, but that is personal. I should have said that some species where redecribed, this was only the case in T.serullatus "males".

See Lourenco, 1981, 1999, 2002, 2007. Francke, 2008, LK Ross, 2010

Cheers, Michiel

Last edited by a moderator: