Tityus Stigmurus

BradPitbull

Arachnopeon
Hi guys,

Does anybody know the pectine counts for this species? I tried counting mine last night but I wasn't able to find the pectine counts for tityus stigmurus can anybody help me pls.

TIA:?

I am curious because I happen to read that male tityus stigmurus can not reproduce pathernogenetically. Correct me if what I've read was wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Unless your scorpion was wild collected, it is more than likely a female. There are very few males even in wild populations. So it is nearly a 100% chance it's female. Despite what you may have heard, male scorpions can not have babies.(I know there is a rummor going around about male H hottentotta scorpions having babies, I don't know of this is related.). Parthenogenic reproduction happens when no male is around to fertilize the eggs. Basically the female produces clones of herself. If a male was involved it would be sexual reproduction as apposed to parthenogenic.

John

BradPitbull

Arachnopeon
I was able to do a pectine count for the my tityus stigmurus. I counted both sides got 20 teeth

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was able to do a pectine count for the my tityus stigmurus. I counted both sides got 20 teeth
Good for you! Do you understand what John said? (pectine counts are irrelevant since all T.stigmurus in the hobby are parthenogenetic females)....

BradPitbull

Arachnopeon
Good for you! Do you understand what John said? (pectine counts are irrelevant since all T.stigmurus in the hobby are parthenogenetic females)....
Yup I do understand, I'm just a little worried that if it is true that male doesn't reproduce pathernogenetically then thats bad because I spend too much for this specie. :(

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yup I do understand, I'm just a little worried that if it is true that male doesn't reproduce pathernogenetically then thats bad because I spend too much for this specie. :(
Where do these rediculous stories come from? I believe one of your countrymen is the culprit. Males do not give birth, never, nada, not possible, not in a million years. We males make kids, we don't give birth to them....Sorry to disappoint you, but that is the case.

Roy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I might be starting a war here but male seahorses give birth, LOL :p

(And yes, I do understand all that jazz about males not having the reproductive equipment to produce young by themselves, they cannot breed asexually, etc.)

Just trying to have some fun

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, from what they're saying, I wouldn't be worried. You likely have a female that can reproduce.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer

(And yes, I do understand all that jazz about males not having the reproductive equipment to produce young by themselves, they cannot breed asexually, etc.)

Just trying to have some fun
Yeah man, that's right, I forgot about that :) :eek: :D LOL

BradPitbull

Arachnopeon
Where do these rediculous stories come from? I believe one of your countrymen is the culprit. Males do not give birth, never, nada, not possible, not in a million years. We males make kids, we don't give birth to them....Sorry to disappoint you, but that is the case.
Nope not my countrymen but I happened to read it from one of the exotic boards.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nope not my countrymen but I happened to read it from one of the exotic boards.
Okay,

I asked, because two strange and doubtfull reports where made by other Fillipino's a) parthenogenetic Heterometrus longimanus b) Male H.hottentotta giving birth. Report b) is of course, completely rediculous.....report a) needs to be studied more..............

ArachnoYak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They may store the eggs for the female in their pouch and eventually expel them from the pouch, but they do not get pregnant. They do not have ovaries. You're confusing the op with this misinfo.

As far as T. stigmurus goes, they are all females. If you have a male Brad then you have something new to science.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
They may store the eggs for the female in their pouch and eventually expel them from the pouch, but they do not get pregnant. They do not have ovaries. You're confusing the op with this misinfo.
You're right. If only he had said something to that effect. Perhaps he could have said something like .....

Cheers,
Dave

Roy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I ABSOLUTELY knew someone was not going to read my whole post (short as it was) and say something about it not being a true pregnancy in male seahorses, etc.......It was kind of predictable so I made sure I put the disclaimer in brackets.

Whatever it is Tityus stigmurus is a really beautiful scorpion, and the whole parthenogenesis and self reproducing just makes it even cooler. How I wish Androctonus could do the same, they would be cheaper then.

ArachnoYak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I ABSOLUTELY knew someone was not going to read my whole post (short as it was) and say something about it not being a true pregnancy in male seahorses, etc.......It was kind of predictable so I made sure I put the disclaimer in brackets.
I read your disclaimer, lol, I just thought clarification was in order as the op seemed confused already so no need to add to it.

BradPitbull

Arachnopeon
Okay,

I asked, because two strange and doubtfull reports where made by other Fillipino's a) parthenogenetic Heterometrus longimanus b) Male H.hottentotta giving birth. Report b) is of course, completely rediculous.....report a) needs to be studied more..............
with the a) i'm also trying to study it right now i have 5pcs 3i, 1pc 4i, 1pc 6i longimanus house in separate containers.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You're welcome, thanks for the sarcasm and condescension.
For what it is worth to you, I wasn't being sarcastic ;) I am many times, but this wasn't one of them and I was definetly not condescending:D Maybe you are a bit vulnerable or fragile, that you draw such premature conclusions....