Tityus Stigmurus toxicity?

Abu Bakr

Arachnopeon
On a scale of 1 to 5 how toxic are they?
In a healthy adult, Would you require any medical attention if you get stung? I do plan on keeping some but I don't know whether I should or not. Even with my not so venomous scorpions I almost never handle them because you never know if you might have an allergic reaction. What's keeping me from keeping them is that I find it unsettling to keep something that can kill me in my room.

If you compare them to bark scorpions or H. hottentotta, are they more toxic or less?
What would I need to take care of if I intend to keep some.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
On a scale of 1 to 5 how toxic are they?
In a healthy adult, Would you require any medical attention if you get stung? I do plan on keeping some but I don't know whether I should or not. Even with my not so venomous scorpions I almost never handle them because you never know if you might have an allergic reaction. What's keeping me from keeping them is that I find it unsettling to keep something that can kill me in my room.

If you compare them to bark scorpions or H. hottentotta, are they more toxic or less?
What would I need to take care of if I intend to keep some.
If you google the wiki page for this species that information is right there....

Abu Bakr

Arachnopeon
Yes but I've heard a lot of conflicting information regarding this species and how it varies even within the population because some say that it's more venomous then what the LD50 values say. I want to hear opinions of people who actually kept this species or have been stung by them.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Not sure but if you plan on keeping them or any venomous animal in general, use common sense and exercise caution always

Abu Bakr

Arachnopeon
Not sure but if you plan on keeping them or any venomous animal in general, use common sense and exercise caution always
Indeed. That's why I'm afraid just by imagining these "what if it escapes " scenarios. Trust me if I get em, my hands are not getting anywhere near their enclosure, will be using tongs only to do everything. And that enclosure will be placed inside another enclosure and so on. XD

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Here is what clinical research found:

Background
Scorpion morphology has changed little over the last four hundred million years. In the other hand, they naturally developed venom glands as a special weapon used in prey and defense. Tityus stigmurusbelongs to the Buthidae family, widely distributed around the world and comprising all the species considered of medical interest [1]. In Brazil, scorpions from the genus Tityus are responsible for most reported envenomation accidents, primarily Tityus serrulatus, Tityus stigmurus and Tityus bahiensis[2]. T. stigmurus is the main causal agent of scorpionism in the Northeast; its envenomation is often characterized by local symptoms, such as: pain (94.4%), hyposthesia (30%), edema (17.8%), erythema (17.8%) and paresthesia (15.6%) [3]. Nishikawa [4] reported that T. stigmurus venom is the most toxic (DL50 = 0.773mg/kg) when compared to T. serrulatus and T. bahiensis. Nevertheless, T. serrulatus is the only species that has been significantly studied.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3444934/#!po=60.5932

ABSTRACT:
The present investigation is a descriptive study regarding the clinical aspects of accidents caused by the scorpion
Tityus stigmurus in Bahia, Brazil. We analyzed 237 confirmed cases treated by the Antivenom Information Centre (CIAVE) from 1982 to 1995. Envenomation by T. stigmurus was mainly characterized by local symptoms: pain (94.4%), dormancy (30.0%), edema (17.8%), erythema (17.8), paresthesia (15.6%) and general manifestations such as headache (4.4%), vomiting (4.4%) and sudoresis (3.3%). Most of the envenomation cases were mild (94%) and all were successfully cured. Although T. stigmurus venom is not in the pool of anti-venom serum (SAE), the absence of lethality and benign nature of the cases suggest the efficiency of SAE. With the exception of deaths and systemic complications, envenoming gravity was similar to those of Tityus serrulatus.
Key-words: Tityus stigmurus. Scorpion sting. Scorpionism. Bahia. Brazil.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/10967591/

From 237 confirmed T.stigmurus envenomations that occurred between 1982-1995, 94% were mild compromising of local symptons and successfully treated. However, T.stigmurus has a relatively high LD50 of 0.773mg/kg. So basically it is scorpion that requires respect but a significant amount of envenomations have shown to be mild. If a healthy adult is stung by T.stigmurus there is a great likelihood they would only experience a mild sting (mild in the sense only localized symptoms) but this is a hot species nonetheless.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Pediatric epidemiological aspects of scorpionism and report on fatal cases from Tityus stigmurus stings (Scorpiones: Buthidae) in State of Pernambuco, Brazil

INTRODUCTION

Envenomation by scorpion stings is a major public health problem in numerous tropical countries because of its frequent incidence and potential severity. Of approximately 1,900 known scorpion species in the world1, approximately 30 are recognized as potentially dangerous to humans2. In South America, scorpions that are dangerous to humans belong to the Buthidae family, particularly those from the genus Tityus CL Koch, 183627. Among more than 130 scorpion species described in Brazil8, at least 11 harm humans, specifically the species Tityus serrulatus Lutz & Mello, 1922), T. bahiensis (Perty, 1833), T. stigmurus (Thorell 1876) and T. obscurus (Lourenço, 2008), which are responsible for serious envenomation or death, particularly in children9. Other scorpion species in this country from the Tityus genera reported to cause mild reactions include T. costatus (Karsch 1879), T. brazilae (Lourenço & Eickstedt, 1984), T. fasciolatus (Pessoa, 1935), T. metuendus (Pocock, 1897), T. neglectus (Mello-Leitão, 1932), T. mattogrossensis(Borelli, 1901), T. adrianoi Lourenço 2003)10 and T. pussilus11.

From 2007 to 2010, an alarming increase in the occurrence of scorpion poisoning has been noted in Brazil. The number of registered cases increased from 37,441 notifications in 2007 to 51,457 in 201012. In 2012, the incidence was 26,3/100,000 inhabitants, with a mortality rate of approximately 0.2%13. Differences in the severity of scorpion poisoning have been associated worldwide with variations in the venom composition, the amount of venom inoculated, the individual body mass, the sensitivity of the injured patient to the poison and the time elapsed between the sting and administration of the antidote14,15.

In urban areas of northeastern Brazil, T. stigmurus is one of the most important health-threatening scorpion species. Originally described in Pernambuco (Brazil), this species is found in 8 of the 26 states in Brazil, including the island of Fernando de Noronha, State of Pernambuco, Brazil16. Tityus stigmurus formerly was found under roofs, among accumulated debris in the exterior areas of residences3,5 and in cesspits17. Control measures rely on chemical insecticides that are not markedly successful18.

Scorpion envenomation from T. stigmurus constitutes a frequent medical emergency and causes major health problems in children less than 15 years of age3,6,19. Since the first report of death attributed to T. stigmurus in Recife, State of Pernambuco3, several notifications have been reported by the local health services organization, without precise information. The epidemiological data are deficient and typically controversial, possibly because of the reduced severity of scorpion poisoning in adults and the scarcity of information from the health services organization, as observed for other scorpion species2. Understanding the severity of envenomation, primarily in children, is crucial for establishing the prognosis and developing adequate treatments15,20. This study from 2006 to 2010 evaluated the epidemiology and clinical findings of scorpion envenomation in children caused by T. stigmurus stings in State of Pernambuco, Brazil and reports 3 confirmed fatal cases.

DISCUSSION

Based on the cases treated in Ceatox-PE, scorpion stings were shown to be the most frequent type of envenomation accident in Pernambuco between 2006 and 2010. Taking into account the clinical symptoms and scorpion description and identification, 100% of the scorpion poisoning cases were attributed to T. stigmurus, which confirms this species as the only one causing severe public health problems in this state. Most of the envenomation cases were successfully cured, but 3 children under 5 years of age died from scorpion stings during the analyzed period. The record is most likely underestimated because data from the Ministério da Saúde indicated 23 deaths between 2007 and 201012. The record was supported by the data registered in the Ceatox-PE for these events. From a historical perspective, the first death associated with T. stigmurus in Pernambuco was suggested by Eickstedt in 1983, when a 4-year-old girl died after being stung by a scorpion. The specimen was not brought to the hospital, and Eickstedt inferred the results based on several clinical aspects identified in other studies with T. stigmurus. The present study describes the first confirmed cases, with verification of the specimen, of child death caused by T. stigmurus stings in Pernambuco, and it supports the suggestion of Eickstedt.

Tityus stigmurus is widespread in the northeastern region of Brazil8, but research based on epidemiological records, clinical aspects and case reports on this scorpion species is limited. Most information is from studies in Bahia, where T. serrulatus causes the most severe envenomation and death6. The high frequency of accidents and envenomation that can result in death in children and morbidity in adults justifies the classification of scorpionism from T. stigmurus stings as an important public health problem in Pernambuco. This designation is particularly important in high-density urban areas such as metropolitan Recife where there is a high risk of scorpion stings. Similar data were found in scorpionism studies in metropolitan São Paulo25, Belo Horizonte26, Salvador19 and Ceará27. In Africa, Asia and other South American countries, an estimated 2.3 billion people live in areas at risk of scorpion poisoning, resulting in over 3,250 deaths per year2.

The deaths of children under 5 years of age suggest a higher susceptibility of this group to severe envenomation relative to older children. These findings are in agreement with the correlation between young age and the severity of clinical manifestations after scorpion envenomation found in other studies2830. High morbidity and lethality rates in children have usually been associated with immune system vulnerability and the ratio of the dose of the venom to the body weight of the patient7,31. These factors contribute to a rapid progression from the mild to the severe phase in young children. In addition to patient age and susceptibility, other aspects reported to influence the signs and symptoms of scorpion envenomation include the species of scorpion, sex of the patient, site of the sting and period elapsed between the time of the sting and first medical aid14,15,29. In agreement with a previous study of T. stigmurus in Bahia6, pain at the sting site was the most common sign of envenomation registered in our analyses and appears to be a common symptom for scorpion envenomation cases7,32,34. Other local manifestations such as paresthesia, edema and erythema were less frequent in the accidents caused by T. stigmurus in Pernambuco than in the accidents registered in Bahia. Paresthesia (17.2%) was the most frequently described symptom in patients registered at Ceatox-PE, followed by edema and erythema (both 2.3%). Envenomation caused by the same scorpion species in Bahia was associated with dormancy as the predominant symptom (30%), followed by edema, erythema (both 17.8%) and paresthesia (15.6%)6. Digestive disturbance (vomiting) was the most frequent systematic symptom in accidents caused by T. stigmurus, and its prevalence was higher in Pernambuco than in Bahia6. Other systematic disorders were rarely reported, except for symptoms that manifested psychologically from fear and agitation.

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?scr...0037-86822013005000028&lng=en&nrm=iso&tlng=en

Brazil has classified T.stigmurus as medically important.

Last edited:

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
I don't like 1-5 scale much, I just separate them into:
Bee sting, no big deal
Hurts a lot, big deal if you are allergic
Hurts really badly, slight allergy will send you to the hospital
Send you to the hospital no matter what

I would say it's somewhere between two or three, but most of the time people seem to be fine after getting stung. There are recorded death with this specie though, so not something you want to be stung by.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
I don't like 1-5 scale much, I just separate them into:
Bee sting, no big deal
Hurts a lot, big deal if you are allergic
Hurts really badly, slight allergy will send you to the hospital
Send you to the hospital no matter what

I would say it's somewhere between two or three, but most of the time people seem to be fine after getting stung. There are recorded death with this specie though, so not something you want to be stung by.

I don't like any grading scale of any kind just identify scorpions as hot or medically important. That it poses a health risk in its native habitat.

NMWAPBT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
On the scale of 1-5 I'd say a 4+ respectively. They've caused deaths before. Also recently a guy posted being stung by one in a Facebook group. He was in excruciating pain nauseous plus he said he was urinating alot. The venom messes with your organs and as with any venom effects everyone differently. That being said he didn't die but had a hell of a few days that's for sure. Take caution when working with them and you wont have any issues. Respect them for what they are n always play it safe.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Any scorpion species that is responsible for multiple deaths should automatically be regarded as dangerous. T.stigmurus is a bark scorpion which means anything in their enclosure is strictly hands off until the scorpions are secured first ( that rule comes with every captive hot species but barks especially). Bark scorpions are adapted to squeeze themselves into narrow cracks and crevices. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to invest in a UV light either.

Anyways hot scorpions aren't any more difficult to manage than the "harmless" species but they demand our 110% respect always. Never be careless with them.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Deforestation and urban development has caused increased scorpionism in Brazil:

Scorpionism in Brazil: exponential growth of accidents and deaths from scorpion stings

Pasesa Pascuala Quispe Torrez1
http://orcid.org/0000-0002-2839-8466

Flávio Santos Dourado2

Rogério Bertani3

Palmira Cupo4

Francisco Oscar de Siqueira França1 5

The fatality rate in victims under the age of 10 and over 75 years is 0.32% and 0.13%, respectively, whereas it is usually less than 0.09% in the remaining age groups. However, in those aged between 1 and 5 years the fatality rate is 0.40%1.

In Brazil, there are about 160 species of scorpions, but stings of medical importance are caused by the genus Tityus, which has, among other characteristics, the presence of a subaculear tubercle under the sting. Of these, four Tityus species (T. serrulatus, T. bahiensis, T. stigmurus, and T. obscurus) are of medical concern, the most important being the yellow scorpion, Tityus serrulatus2.

The accelerated urbanization observed in Brazil in the last decades, without the adequate creation of basic infrastructure (such as water, light, sewage treatment, and regular collection of garbage), has provided conditions for the proliferation of opportunistic and invasive scorpions, such as T. serrulatus and T. stigmurus. These two species are parthenogenetic, which means the female can breed without being fertilized by males. Both are adapted to profoundly modified environments, which is the case with several cities of Brazil where the human population increased rapidly, and show great flexibility in adapting to human dwellings. This situation is characteristic of certain regions of Brazil, Mexico, and North Africa3-5.

The sting of Tityus serrulatus is responsible for most of the severe cases and deaths6,7. Its origin is not certain, but older records indicate towards the Brazilian state of Minas Gerais. However, today it can be found in 19 of the 27 Brazilian states.

Species identification is important, whether through capture or photography, particularly if it is one of the four Tityus species of major medical interest. In the Amazon region, Tityus obscurus requires highlighting because this species may cause acute cerebellar dysfunction6-8.

The severity of systemic effects caused by Tityus species depends upon the venom composition and clinical condition of the patient. In general, children under twelve and, less frequently, the elderly with comorbidities are more seriously affected. Most deaths have occurred in these age groups1,6,7.

The time between a sting and the patient’s arrival at hospital/adequate treatment is very important in determining the prognosis6,9. Classification of the severity of scorpionism is essentially clinical. About 87% of scorpionism cases are classified as mild and characterized by local manifestations: pain, erythema, paresthesia, and sweating6,9. Treatment in these cases is restricted to the control of local pain. Occasionally, because of the pain, there may be occurrences of nausea, agitation, and mild tachycardia, which will disappear after local treatment without the need for antivenom6. But even in these cases, the patient needs to be kept under observation for at least 6 hours to detect any possible worsening of symptoms. In this situation, hospitalization for clinical management is recommended6,10.

Patients with severe manifestations can experience innumerable episodes of vomiting, profuse sweating, tachypnea, increased blood pressure, tachycardia or bradycardia, and may manifest symptoms compatible with acute congestive heart failure due to increased vascular resistance and acute lung edema6,9,10. The identification and treatment of clinical complications, early intubation in cases of acute respiratory insufficiency whenever necessary, and administration of the specific antivenom should be commenced as soon as possible. This considerably improves patient prognosis, especially in children6,9,10.

In recent years, there has been an exponential increase in the number of cases and a significant increase in the number of deaths, reaching 90 in 2017 (Figure 1)1.

FIGURE 1: Number of envenomations and deaths caused by scorpionism, reported to SINAN (Brazil), from 2007 to 2017. The columns represent the number of envenomations reported per year. The continuous line represents the number of deaths reported per year. *Updated in December 2018.

Although the number of envenomations has increased in all regions of the country, deaths mainly occur in the original geographical distribution regions of T. serrulatus and T. stigmurus, which is the Southeast and Northeast, respectively. Nowadays it is likely that most deaths in the Northeast, mainly in the state of Bahia, are caused by these two species (T. stigmurus and T. serrulatus)3-6.

In relation to the number of envenomations, it was observed that in the regions where Tityus serrulatus does not or rarely occurs (North, Central-West, and South) there was a 49.5% increase in the number of cases between 2013 and 20171. In the regions where Tityus serrulatus has a noticeable presence (Southeast and Northeast), the increase was slightly higher (57.7%). However, the overall number of deaths in these two regions has increased, 61 of the 73 deaths (83.6%) in the country reported during 2013 and 73 of the 90 deaths (81.1%) reported during 20171.

Some states deserve greater attention: in Bahia 27 deaths occurred in 2013 and 15 in 2017, in Minas Gerais deaths increased from 11 to 25, and in São Paulo there was an increase from 5 to 111. As the native brown scorpion Tityus bahiensis is being replaced in the state of São Paulo by T. serrulatus, the exceptional increase in the number of deaths can be attributed to this last species3.

This conclusion is very likely because there is a clear overlap between the increase in the number of cases and deaths in the areas where T. serrulatus and T. stigmurus previously predominated and in urban areas where the dispersion of both has been observed more recently5.

There is a clear concern about the decrease in the production of antivenom, and subsequent decrease in the number of health units that have the antivenom, in Brazil during recent years. This underlines the importance of recognizing the severity of envenomation as soon as possible and transferring patients to a referral service with antivenom1,6.

The Brazilian Association of Information Centers and Toxicological Assistance (ABRACIT) consists of public institutions and provides countrywide free support by the telephone or internet on envenoming management, the nearest Reference Health Unit with antivenom, and the cities where the antivenom can be found in each state1,11.

Measures for the control and management of scorpions are based on scorpion removal/collection and modifying environmental conditions to become an unfavorable environment for the proliferation of these arachnids. This includes the active capture of scorpions where accidents are most frequent, indicated, for example, by geoprocessing or spontaneous population demand12. These measures can reduce the number of accidents and, consequently, the morbidity and mortality levels2.

Additionally, it is necessary to better understand and act against the well-known factors that are influencing the widening geographical distribution and establishment of new populations of scorpions in urban areas.

The education of health professionals and undergraduate students on the main management aspects for this neglected tropical disease is a measure that can contribute to the improvement of the control of this increasingly important public health problem.

http://portalms.saude.gov.br/saude-de-a-z/acidentes-por-animais-peconhentos [ Links ]

http://abracit.org.br/wp/centros/ [ Links ]

pasesa2@hotmail.com

Conflict of Interest: The authors declare that there is no conflict of interest.

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S0037-86822019000100904&script=sci_arttext

Last edited:

Redjunior

Arachnoknight
Pediatric epidemiological aspects of scorpionism and report on fatal cases from Tityus stigmurus stings (Scorpiones: Buthidae) in State of Pernambuco, Brazil

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?scr...0037-86822013005000028&lng=en&nrm=iso&tlng=en

Lol, that's probably because people stung in brazil arent as healthy as folk north of their borders. Just a thoug

That's probably because brazil doesnt have as healthy of folks or as advanced medical services, that are north of their borders. Anti venom availability could be a potential issue to if they arent stocking up on it.

T.stigs are relatively venomous. Just use precautions, be smart. And if you are unsure, do as most of us noobs do and ask the experts and experienced peeps here. But a cool species either way. Scorpions I find arent really good escape artists, unless you have loose lids, gaps in terrarium doors, or plants that reach the top of enclosures. :)

I've been keeping scorps for 10 years. Never had an escape... but crickets.. frick.. they seem to wind up everywhere. If anything get a cat. Cats will eat crickets and for some reason cats have been reported to have resistance to scorpion venom.. yes. I read that on google when my cats ate some of my jacksoni by knocking over and busting open delo cups.. I think its partly why Egyptians seen them as gods. Lol!

Last edited:

Abu Bakr

Arachnopeon
….. I've been keeping scorps for 10 years. Never had an escape... but crickets.. frick.. they seem to wind up everywhere. If anything get a cat.....
Crickets really are a pain in the ass but I managed to get a taller enclosure which makes it harder for them to escape. I don't know if dubia or red runners would be a good alternative because I never kept but I plan on getting them as feeder now cuz I'm almost out of crickets.

Abu Bakr

Arachnopeon
Also today I finally got my first hots. 3 of 2nd instar T. Stigmurus.

They really are beautiful looking and their small size makes it very easy to underestimate them.

Abu Bakr

Arachnopeon
…. Bark scorpions are adapted to squeeze themselves into narrow cracks and crevices. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to invest in a UV light either......
You weren't kidding about the narrow cracks part. They're pretty good at hiding in small cracks within a bark. Even with a UV light, it took me a while to find them in the enclosure.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
You weren't kidding about the narrow cracks part. They're pretty good at hiding in small cracks within a bark. Even with a UV light, it took me a while to find them in the enclosure.
Yeah, many sting reports I have read involving bark scorpions it's because the "no hands rule" was broken or never applied. It's so easy to accidentally threaten the life of these beauties with incidental finger contact.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
This article maybe of some interest in regards to this thread some of it has been rehashed from the medical papers.

Scorpion deaths on rise in Brazil as arachnid adapts to urban life
Deaths have more than doubled as specialists warn of increasing danger for city-dwellers

Dom Phillips in Rio de Janeiro
Sun 15 Jul 2018 04.00 EDT
1 year old
Specialists in Brazil have warned of the rising danger of deadly scorpions amid a spiraling number of reported deaths and stings by the hardy arachnids which are proliferating in the country’s urban centres.

The number of deaths from scorpion stings reported to the country’s public health system has more than doubled in the past four years, from 70 in 2013 to 184 in 2017, while cases of scorpion stings rose from 37,000 in 2007 to 126,000 last year.

Meanwhile, the death last week of a four-year old girl in São Paulo state has reinforced concerns that many small towns lack anti-venom to treat stings.

With deforestation and the increase in urban centres this scorpion is increasing its presence
Four dangerous species of scorpion are found in Brazil but the yellow scorpion, or Tityus serrulatus, has proved particularly deadly, having adapted from its traditional savannah habitat to survive in sewers, garbage and rubble in urban areas.

“With deforestation and the increase in urban centres this scorpion is increasing its presence,” said Rogério Bertani, a scientific researcher and scorpion specialist at the Butantan Institute, a São Paulo research institute attached to the state government. “Contact with human beings is very big. I believe personally this will tend to get worse.”

The yellow scorpion is parthenogenetic, which means the female can breed without being fertilised by males and it eats insects such as cockroaches.

“These scorpions have a low metabolism and can live various months without feeding,” Bertani said.

Small children are especially vulnerable. This week Yasmin de Campos, four, died after being stung by a scorpion in Calabria Paulista in the interior of São Paulo state, the Estado de S. Paulo newspaper reported.

A view of São Paulo. Experts say sewers and drains attract scorpions because of the abundance of cockroaches.Photograph: filipefrazao/Getty Images/iStockphoto
She was driven to a hospital in Duartina just 10km away but it had no anti-venom and she was only treated three hours later after being driven another 50km to Bauru – by which time it was too late. A receptionist at the hospital in Duartina said that it had no anti-venom stock.

José Brites Neto, a medical veterinarian, leads a four-man scorpion team in the city of Americana in São Paulo state which has captured nearly 8,000 scorpions this year, using ultra-violet light and hunting at night.

Risky business: China's snake farmers cash in on global venom market
Brites Neto said that the yellow scorpion has spread around sewage networks and rainwater drains because of the abundance of cockroaches. “This species is dominating, colonising and very adaptable,” he said.

A spokeswoman for the Ministry of Health said anti-venom is sent to state health authorities who distribute to towns.

“Deaths by scorpions are most strongly associated with the pediatric age group and poisoning by Tityus Serrulatus,” she said. “Light cases, which don’t need anti-venom, are 87% of cases.”

• This article was amended on 15 July 2018. An earlier version referred to scorpion bites rather than stings. This has been corrected.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...ths-rise-brazil-cities-urban-adaptation-risks

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Don't be this guy, he claimed to have been stung once already and only had local pain for five hours.