Tityus stigmurus (the community)

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have to check my adult enclosures from time to time to make sure someone doesnt have babies. As you all know I always move a Mom and her kids to a deli cup which makes collecting the youngsters much easier than if they disperse in the big enclosure. Here is a pic of the inside of my adult cage. Now keep in mind I have 13 adults in there so they should be scattered under the different pieces of bark, right???

Wrong!!! They are all congregated under the same piece of bark. Now is that communal living or what? LOL

Talk about piled on top of one another!!! LOL

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thats awesome Brian...talk about a T.stigmurus factory!!!

SOAD

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Under the leg of the first stigmurus from left, there is an "insect" , is it one of those "terrarium cleaners"?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Under the leg of the first stigmurus from left, there is an "insect" , is it one of those "terrarium cleaners"?
Good eye Jonas :). I keep Isopods in all my moist enclosures. They seem to help keep the cage clean. I collect them around the house and toss them in.

SOAD

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hahahahahhaha, the stigs don't care about this "things" walking around them?
I'm having some problems with mites, Isopods help to solve this problem?
Thanx!

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
hahahahahhaha, the stigs don't care about this "things" walking around them?
I'm having some problems with mites, Isopods help to solve this problem?
Thanx!
hahaha no they dont mind at all. In fact I actually see them hitching a ride on the backs of the scorps from time to time. They dont solve the mite problem 100% but they cetainly seem to help by eating some of the leftovers from scorp's messy eating habits.

SOAD

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do you need to remove part of the leftovers or they eat all?
Man there are hundreds of Isopods around my house, i will catch some!
Thanks for the info Brian!

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Isopods will eat pretty much anything there is to be had. They don't eat mold to my knowledge, but they do compete with mold for food bits. How many of those adults are home grown Brian?

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what beauties!

i think i'm going to have trouble convincing my fiance to start a t. stig community... but i can try! {D

mattyj

Arachnopeon
i wish we could get scorpions like that in my country..the scorpions look awesome..

envy!!

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just had one give birth a few days ago. Should be more in the not so distant future.

SOAD

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my females usually give birth to 15-18 scorplings, what about yours Brian?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
my females usually give birth to 15-18 scorplings, what about yours Brian?
So far from 4-20. The larger specimens give birth to larger numbers of smaller scorps while the smaller specimens give birth to smaller numbers of bigger scorps. Strange but true.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Awesome work Brian! see, that's the exact thing that goes on with my stigmurus confluenciatas! they have the entire enclosure to run around in, but they all stay huddled ontop of eachother in the same spot! Anyways, i love that setup, and of course the scorpions man! let me know if you ever decide to get rid of a litter.

John

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice color in that species; what size are those, around 2 inches?