Tityus species - basic questions

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Planning to pickup some Tityus species. Had a few questions I wanted to ask.

My temps. usually range from 70-85 during the summer and 67-72 during the winter. Would these temps be okay?

Whats the general lifespan for these scorpions?

Thanks!

ForTW

Arachnobaron
Hi

Tityus is pretty hardy. They do fine from 20-30°C.
67°F is a little low and will put it into Dia pause. Nothing negative there, just the growth and reproduction will slow down.

There are some documents saying up to 5 years (!), Very slow growers. On the other hand i saw specimen maturing much faster, constantly kept at 28-32°C within 2-3 years.

Regards

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
@ForTW pretty much covered it, but I would like to add that my Tityus stigmurus have gone from birth to mature and having babies of their own within one year exactly, so I would say they’re quite fast growing species, im not sure about other species in this genus though.

LeoExotic

Arachnopeon
Do you mind if i ask how you keep them? Mine have taken about 2 years to mature. They havent given birth yet, but is on instar 6 now.

LeoExotic

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
Do you mind if i ask how you keep them? Mine have taken about 2 years to mature. They havent given birth yet, but is on instar 6 now.

LeoExotic
Not at all! I keep mine in a pretty simple setup. Damp peat for substrate, cork bark pieces stacked & angled at various degrees, and a small water dish in the corner. Temps range depending on the season. During the winter months, temps in my room averaged around 72°F during the day and 65° at night. During the spring/summer months it averaged 80-85° during the day, and 72-75° at night.
Feeding was done 1-2 times a week, although during the winter they didn’t eat too much, due to the colder temps of course. That’s pretty much it as far as the care i’ve given them. I got them last May (2021) as 2i scorplings, and as of today, a few of them have got scorplings on their backs, and the ones that don’t, are probably going to in the next few days

LeoExotic

Arachnopeon
Not at all! I keep mine in a pretty simple setup. Damp peat for substrate, cork bark pieces stacked & angled at various degrees, and a small water dish in the corner. Temps range depending on the season. During the winter months, temps in my room averaged around 72°F during the day and 65° at night. During the spring/summer months it averaged 80-85° during the day, and 72-75° at night.
Feeding was done 1-2 times a week, although during the winter they didn’t eat too much, due to the colder temps of course. That’s pretty much it as far as the care i’ve given them. I got them last May (2021) as 2i scorplings, and as of today, a few of them have got scorplings on their backs, and the ones that don’t, are probably going to in the next few days
Awesome! Thanks :D