Tityus bahiensis mating

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have been keeping my T bahiensis in 2 boxes. Tonight I moved them all in the same box. One box had never produced young even though there was a male in there. It didnt take long and 2 were mating. This is actually one of the few times I have seen any Tityus mate although I know they have considering all the young I got recently.

Here is the spermataphore

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice shots Brian. Good to get the spermatophore shot. Its good when they are placed together and just go for it, unfortunately it has to be exactly the right time of year over here or they arent interested. This may not be the case with Buthids though, I'm talking Urodacus.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Its certainly not the case with Tityus spp. They breed year around it seems LOL. Interestingly, I bred 2 Parabuthus transvaalicus last year 4 months apart and they both give birth within 2 weeks of each other. The first one had a gestation for almost 11 months (actually she had mated in 2005). The other's gestation was 7 months so I am inclined to think they stalled birth until conditions were right. In this case in August when it was the hottest time of the year.

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The other's gestation was 7 months so I am inclined to think they stalled birth until conditions were right. In this case in August when it was the hottest time of the year.
Sounds logical....no chance of a prior insemination was there?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No chance at all on the first specimen. She was a subadult when I got her. Now the 2nd one its anyone's guess. She mated with my male I do know that though.