Tis A Pede! But Cinti or Mili?

Xomb13

Arachnopeon
I had a couple hours to kill so I took a hike. Started looking under rocks and was fascinated by this little guy. Luckily I keep a specimen collection kit in the car. I have no clue what it even is? Maybe someone here can help.

View attachment 20211127_141129.mp4

Attachments

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
Milli. Order polydesmida. Do you have a location of collection? I might be able to limit to a family or genus though no promises.

Xomb13

Arachnopeon
Thank you so much! It was found in the southern Appalachians, close to the Smokey Mountain Range. He was hanging out under some rocks and old pallet wood someone had dumped on the trail. There was a lot of life under there so i didn't know if he was eating the wood or hunting. I think I am going to keep him for a while.

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
No problem at all! So unfortunately there are about 60 species identified in the Smokeys alone, but there is a very high likelihood that this polydesmid would be in the family Xystodesmidae -- unquestionably the most common family in the southern Appalachians. I will warn you that polydesmids are notoriously tricky to keep in captivity, however a steady supply of local rotting wood certainly improves your rate of survival. Apologies I couldnt zero in further on a species!

Xomb13

Arachnopeon
I have some of the wood i found him in with some isopods i collected so luckily it won't be too much of a shock, I will go back tomorrow and hopefully find some more and keep an enclosure as close to a slice of wild paradise as possible for them. I appreciate the help, you have really pointed me in the right direction!