Tips on rehousing P. irminia

Iamconstantlyhappy

Arachnoknight
I am going to be rehousing my sub-adult/adult P irminia (DLS appx 4 inches) from the enclosure you see here.

As you can see its a front opening only enclosure with a tube cork. Any tips on how to go about this. I have ideas, but would like some tips on this one. It will be going into larger enclosure that opens from the top and front. A6EA06F2-4734-448E-8EAF-FDD0150DA105.jpeg

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I use put-two-enclosures-side-by-side-then-gently-nudge-the-tarantula-from-one-to-another method.

Iamconstantlyhappy

Arachnoknight
Why don't you cover both ends of the cork, and move it.
I did think about that. There are actually 3 holes: the top, bottom and the one in the front bottom. So I guess I could cover the front and one of the ends....then place an open end into the new enclosure, then place a clear lid with some holes in it for the brush and some how nudge it with the brush.

Something like this

image (3).jpg
Would that work?

Last edited:

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
I did think about that. There are actually 3 holes: the top, bottom and the one in the front bottom. So I guess I could cover the front and one of the ends....then place an open end into the new enclosure, then place a clear lid with some holes in it for the brush and some how nudge it with the brush.

Something like this

View attachment 384991
Would that work?
First of all, I love the diagram, it's hilarious. :rofl: It could work except you run into the problem of actually getting the T out of the tube, I'd think it would be more likely to bite at the item coaxing it and it'd try to run out of the tube rather than go in the new enclosure. Even if it did go in the new enclosure you don't want a P. irminia ready to run out of the enclosure and bite.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Something like this

View attachment 384991
Would that work?
Block all 3 holes- there is nothing easier than that. I do this, and its better than anything else I do. Don't over think this, it's not rocket science. ;)

Craig73

Arachnoangel

Something like this

View attachment 384991
Would that work?
Okay, honestly that image depicted a whole different subject. I’m trying to get my mind wholesome again.

You could put a sandwich baggy over the top part and maybe something to cover the other two openings. Then slowly tilt the top part out the enclosure opening so the only escape route is away from you. Then slowly pull the bark out and the bottom directly into the new enclosure. You’d then have the sand which bag side facing you and could use something to prod it out the open end.

MuddledMuticus

Arachnopeon
Based on that diagram I would start with a simple in and out procedure. This could cause the irminia to get excited and shoot into its new enclosure.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Thanks for all you help guys. Put a baggie over top, cleaned out the dirt webbing from the bottom. All done in bath tub. T stayed put in tube......placed the tube end in the new enclosure and gently nudged her out.
Now that you have it down pat you can fly to the states and rehouse mine.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Now that you have it down pat you can fly to the states and rehouse mine.
LOL truth be told out of everything my P. irminia have been the easiest rehouses of anything, just lackadaisically stroll out of one enclosure to the next with a paintbrush.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
Okay, honestly that image depicted a whole different subject. I’m trying to get my mind wholesome again.
After reading this comment, I looked at the picture again. I now see what you see.....and can't unsee it 😂

Craig73

Arachnoangel
After reading this comment, I looked at the picture again. I now see what you see.....and can't unsee it 😂
All I can say is at first glance that did not seem like a wise idea for the mens, but could be a good way to take a few off the market and save some of us some grief. 😜