tips on hunting scorps

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok i live in kentucky, and we have a scorpion here called the southern devil scorpion i was wanting to catch me a few and try to breed them any tips on hunting wild scorpions would be appreciated, and i allready have a batery opperated black light. i just mostly ned to know where would good places be and when would be a good time

Baphomet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yay...another scorpion hunter!

The Southern Devil Scorpion Vaejovis carolinianus, is quite abundant in Kentucky, especially in Adair, Bullitt, Casey, Estill, Fayette, Hardin, Madison, Marion, Metcalfe, Monroe, Pulaski, and Wayne counties …and if you know where to look.

(I found a couple outside Burkes Spring, Marion County a few years back) :)

They can usually be found around rocky hillsides, rock faces, brick walls, crawl spaces, leaf-covered areas, and log piles.

Of course, using a blacklight at night will produce the best results, but watch out…scorpions glow when exposed to black light…snakes don’t…and Kentucky has a few to watch out for (depending on your location):

Copperhead Agkistrodon contortrix
Western Cottonmouth Agkistrodon piscivorus
Timber Rattlesnake Crotalus horridus
Western Pygmy Rattlesnake Sistrutus miliarius

As you may have figured out, the best places to find Vaejovis carolinianus, is ALSO the best place to find rattlers.

Time, patience and obvious precautions will be your best reward.

Good luck!

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Snakes disrupt my collecting. Every time I go out looking for scorps, I come back with a few snakes and no scorps. They get annoying cause they always seem to be in my way. Most commonly, it's copperheads, next, cottonmouths, but often it includes black racers, black snakes, rattlers, etc.

adios,
edw. :?

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, try to think "If I were a scorpion where would I go hide"
I use a small jar, and a stick. I place the jar next to the scorpion and try to lead it in the jar with the stick. I guess having someone else with you would be a good idea.

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Snakes disrupt my collecting. Every time I go out looking for scorps, I come back with a few snakes and no scorps. They get annoying cause they always seem to be in my way. Most commonly, it's copperheads, next, cottonmouths, but often it includes black racers, black snakes, rattlers, etc.
Ya know, it's funny you said that. You go out looking for scorps, and snakes get in your way, while people go out looking for snakes, and find other animals. I guess this proves the saying to be true, "You never find what you're looking for until you're not looking for it."

Bry

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Bry,

I suppose being in "da souf" doesn't help much, considering there is so much animalia here. *lol* But I have quite a large number of people in search of scorpions for me...actually, everyone in the area that I know. Something should turn up soon, considering it is beginning to warm up lately. And this week is supposed to be very nice. I have already caught a few species of pedes. One of which glows under a blacklight. Very cool.

adios,
edw. :D