Tips on finding Vaejovis carolinianus?

hecklad

Arachnosquire
I live in Ooltewah, TN, where they should be plentiful. I have one tiny sling atm but would like to find more. I always have a very hard time finding them and only find maybe 1 per 60 rocks/logs. I live up against a ridge that goes up to about 1500 feet (and I usually search for them there), do they prefer lower elevations? Also what positioning of rocks/logs is more likely to have some underneath? Would I be more likely to find them at night? While it hasn't been that cold here recently (lows in the 40s, and highs in the 60s), will colder weather make them more likely to seek refuge under rocks and logs, hence easier to find, or will they burrow?

Any feedback and tips are appreciated

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
I've heard that peeling back the bark of fallen pine trees can help, but I'm not entirely sure if this'd work.

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

Arachnoknight
I live in Ooltewah, TN, where they should be plentiful. I have one tiny sling atm but would like to find more. I always have a very hard time finding them and only find maybe 1 per 60 rocks/logs. I live up against a ridge that goes up to about 1500 feet (and I usually search for them there), do they prefer lower elevations? Also what positioning of rocks/logs is more likely to have some underneath? Would I be more likely to find them at night? While it hasn't been that cold here recently (lows in the 40s, and highs in the 60s), will colder weather make them more likely to seek refuge under rocks and logs, hence easier to find, or will they burrow?

Any feedback and tips are appreciated
I used to do a ton of research on this particular species. Unfortunately they’re not in my part of Kentucky. They’re in Central. But that’s irrelevant. One key thing I remember is they prefer pine forests. Also if you find one you’re bound to find more

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I find them more often in drier upland areas usually on rocky hillsides with good drainage. I have found them under bark on downed pines as well. I typically find them March-October in central KY. Look for crumbly shale rock banks, road cuts, logging roads. I've had some luck at night with black lights... but in my area, there are a lot of copperheads out at night and a blacklight isn't the best for avoiding stepping on one.