Tips for Unpacking Cobalt Blue

spiderlady16

Arachnopeon
Anyone got any tips on the unpacking (I dread this part about owning T`s) of Cobalt Blue and Trapdoor spiders? Argh ive been dying to add these to my collection for years but never felt confident enough till now. Even though i feel confident to own them now they are both wild caught adults so unpacking is gonna be fun especially an unpredictable psycho ha ha. :eek:

presurcukr

Arachnolord
Old Timer
They really are not that bad :evil:;P:evil::D .No really I suggest that you transfer them in a bathtub. Or someplace that you will have room to get them if they bolt.Mine have never given me much of a fight unpacking. Just when rehousing or cleaning!

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would NOT do it in a bathtub. I much prefer to unpack in a large open area, so I am able to see where the T is going and bathrooms are not usually big enough for that. The last thing I want is to try and coax a T out of some hidey hole it has found in the bathroom. Plus, think about the cleaning chemicals, shampoo, conditioner, soap that will be present and could cause health problems for the T. Make sure you have a large catch cup handy, for if they do decide to bolt and also have their enclosure handy for the same reason. Make sure your open area is truly open, no chairs to hide under etc.... and try and remain calm. The calmer you are, the calmer they tend to be.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I've used the double-tank method with success on both of my H. lividums, and several other "darty" sp such as P. irminia and a pokey. Put their new home inside an empty 10-g tank (or 20, etc). Open the new home. Take the lid off the shipping cup and set it down in new home. Carefully lift off enough packing to locate T. Then gently pull the entire wad out and set in the home. Leave it until spider comes out on it's own.

Or use the bag method - Tarantula Relocation in search should find you the detailed thread.

I used it recently on two of my OBT slings. Works great for those darting little buggers!!!

Marga

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeap, shark tank it or bag method always works good.

jonnyquong

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
*Originally Posted by Hobo*
"You gotta search for "Plastic Tarantula Containment Pouch™" :D

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have used the afore-mentioned bag method for all of my Haps, OBT's, and flighty little fellas and it works great. Plus it gives you the rare oppurtunity to fully examine your jumpy T's.

Arachnos

Arachnopeon
I would NOT do it in a bathtub. I much prefer to unpack in a large open area, so I am able to see where the T is going and bathrooms are not usually big enough for that. The last thing I want is to try and coax a T out of some hidey hole it has found in the bathroom. Plus, think about the cleaning chemicals, shampoo, conditioner, soap that will be present and could cause health problems for the T. Make sure you have a large catch cup handy, for if they do decide to bolt and also have their enclosure handy for the same reason. Make sure your open area is truly open, no chairs to hide under etc.... and try and remain calm. The calmer you are, the calmer they tend to be.
+1

Another approach is to put them in the fridge for 5 mins or so to cool them off and drop the metabolism. Limits the abilities of even the quickest and most 'defensive' species. Makes them much more manageable after thier long shipping adventure.

spiderlady16

Arachnopeon
You guys are superstars :D Thank you all so much for the advice. I am a newbie to this site and wasnt expecting so much help. Wish id used this site before.
I think the bath tub idea would be great for my little ones as i doubt they would get far. Ive always transferred my slings and juvis just over white paper. I have new tubs coming to transfer 16 of those any day. I really dont have time to get hold of any of the transfer bags as they will be arriving tomorrow {D
That does sound a great idea though. I have always just put the pots they arrived in into their enclosure. Half in half out of what they are wrapped in. I have to say though i have heard so many stories of these running up arms and straight under clothing :eek: so shall be wearing tight top with very rolled up sleeves lol. Is there anything else i could use to bag them that i may find hanging round the house or be able to make? I cant think of anything :?

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
Its not that hard :D although transfering feisty T's is pretty nerve racking lol. When I first got my king baboon and transferd her I was so nervous lol. You'll do fine though :)

spiderlady16

Arachnopeon
Ha ha i hope so. I cleaned out my P. Regalis at the weekend and didnt even break a sweat plus he was a real gent not as i was expecting :cool:
I always get scared when it comes to unpacking a new type. Maybe i should get someone to come sit with me while i get them into their new enclosures lol

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ha ha i hope so. I cleaned out my P. Regalis at the weekend and didnt even break a sweat plus he was a real gent not as i was expecting :cool:
I always get scared when it comes to unpacking a new type. Maybe i should get someone to come sit with me while i get them into their new enclosures lol
No,just do it by yourself. you do not want the added distraction.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No,just do it by yourself. you do not want the added distraction.
but if the person isn't a distraction, an extra pair of hands can become very valuable, especially in a situation of say.... a spider running up you and on your back. (i've never had this happen personally, but i've seen it in a video and now prefer another party present when i rehouse more potent things.)

spiderlady16

Arachnopeon
Thats exactly why i want someone there tomorrow lol. Im so excited but also very nervous. Ive also got a red trapdoor to unpack and two flat rock scorps. Im not so fussed about the scorps and the worry is way more towards the H.L. Ive just made up their homes and rehomed some of my docile ones. Had a bit of a swap round to get the Cobalt in the most secure tank. Ive had a look at the bag method and although people have had lots of look i dont fancy trying it out on fast, angry adult T`s. I think im just going to put them into their enclosures inside the travelling tubs but partially take of the lids then unpack the rest through a small gap using my tongs. Its worked for me in the past but then again ive never had such aggressive ones before lol. Just hope the tubs they arrive in are going to fit through the smaller lids. If not then the bag method will be 2nd choice.

spiderlady16

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone for all the tips and advice. They are all in their new homes now settling in. No tags and no escapees phew lol. They were all very well behaved :D