Tips for raising a Discoid Roach colony?

WyrmSwarm

Arachnosquire
I bought a few Discoid roaches from my local pet store, and was wondering if anyone had any tips for starting a new colony? Are they fairly easy to breed and keep in room temps? This will be my first time attempting a roach colony, so any help will be appreciated.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Ample water availability is helpful. This can be achieved through frequent misting and provision of carrots and/or water crystals. They can survive but won't necessarily thrive at room temperature. An ambient temperature of around 80 F is best.
You also probably shouldn't attempt a colony with fewer than 8 founding individuals, so depending on what you mean by "a few," you may need more.

WyrmSwarm

Arachnosquire
Ample water availability is helpful. This can be achieved through frequent misting and provision of carrots and/or water crystals. They can survive but won't necessarily thrive at room temperature. An ambient temperature of around 80 F is best.
You also probably shouldn't attempt a colony with fewer than 8 founding individuals, so depending on what you mean by "a few," you may need more.
I don't necessarily want to mist a lot because I'm afraid of the cardboard and eggcrates molding. Right now I have them in a medium kritter keeper and I've heard that these don't really keep humidity well because of the ventilation. Any suggestions for a better enclosure, or is a kritter keeper fine? I do have some water crystals down for their source of water. I only have about 5 of them so far, but I should probably go get some more, you're right. I honestly might put them outside in my screened porch. I live in florida and I believe these guys can be found naturally here anyways, but in the winter I plan to bring them inside since it gets down to like 60ish and I don't want to take chances.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
I don't necessarily want to mist a lot because I'm afraid of the cardboard and eggcrates molding. Right now I have them in a medium kritter keeper and I've heard that these don't really keep humidity well because of the ventilation. Any suggestions for a better enclosure, or is a kritter keeper fine? I do have some water crystals down for their source of water. I only have about 5 of them so far, but I should probably go get some more, you're right. I honestly might put them outside in my screened porch. I live in florida and I believe these guys can be found naturally here anyways, but in the winter I plan to bring them inside since it gets down to like 60ish and I don't want to take chances.
Oh yeah, you probably shouldn't keep anything other than sand roaches (Arenivaga, Polyphaga, etc.) in a Kritter Keeper. B. discoidalis aren't terribly picky on humidity, but Kritter Keepers are terrible at moisture retention and I imagine they could kill discoids if kept there long term. I always keeps starter colonies of larger roaches (including the fairly similar B. giganteus) in plastic shoeboxes from the Container Store, which are super cheap, maintain humidity well, and are a good size. You'll have to scale up when the colony gets bigger, but they're useful to start with (you can then use their men's shoe box and later a tote). You don't necessarily have to mist frequently as long as there is plenty of water available through other sources, but do at least do it occasionally.
I'm not sure if keeping them outside is the best idea. Although they are found in Florida as an introduced species, climate control is pretty important and it's easier to do that indoors. There's also the issue of pesticides potentially being nearby.

WyrmSwarm

Arachnosquire
Oh yeah, you probably shouldn't keep anything other than sand roaches (Arenivaga, Polyphaga, etc.) in a Kritter Keeper. B. discoidalis aren't terribly picky on humidity, but Kritter Keepers are terrible at moisture retention and I imagine they could kill discoids if kept there long term. I always keeps starter colonies of larger roaches (including the fairly similar B. giganteus) in plastic shoeboxes from the Container Store, which are super cheap, maintain humidity well, and are a good size. You'll have to scale up when the colony gets bigger, but they're useful to start with (you can then use their men's shoe box and later a tote). You don't necessarily have to mist frequently as long as there is plenty of water available through other sources, but do at least do it occasionally.
I'm not sure if keeping them outside is the best idea. Although they are found in Florida as an introduced species, climate control is pretty important and it's easier to do that indoors. There's also the issue of pesticides potentially being nearby.
Next time I get paid I'll have to invest in a better container then haha. Thanks for the information! Any tips on what to gut load these with and what they feed on? Right now I've given them some cat food and fish flakes as well as some carrot. I mainly use these to feed my other inverts like my mantids and my whipscorpion.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Make sure to remove any leftover foods or else you'll get a mite infestation.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Next time I get paid I'll have to invest in a better container then haha. Thanks for the information! Any tips on what to gut load these with and what they feed on? Right now I've given them some cat food and fish flakes as well as some carrot. I mainly use these to feed my other inverts like my mantids and my whipscorpion.
I have no idea on that, sorry. I only keep roaches as pets, not feeders, so I'm not sure what's best to give them for feeding. I feed my pet roaches fish pellets, vegetables (celery and carrots, also lettuce for water only), occasional fruits, and leaf litter depending on the species. Discoids would eat all of those except maybe the last, but maybe that's not the best diet for feeding arachnids and mantids.

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
I have no idea on that, sorry. I only keep roaches as pets, not feeders, so I'm not sure what's best to give them for feeding. I feed my pet roaches fish pellets, vegetables (celery and carrots, also lettuce for water only), occasional fruits, and leaf litter depending on the species. Discoids would eat all of those except maybe the last, but maybe that's not the best diet for feeding arachnids and mantids.
I use my B. giganteus as both feeders and pets, and I use many of the foods you mentioned. I remember reading that there may be an issue with carrots, but the rest sounds fine.

richard22

Arachnosquire
I keep mine with good ventilation in a 90F (~32C) room on an ecoearth substrate. This keeps mold out, but makes everything dry out rapidly and I have had no success breeding them though I still have maybe 8 adults and one oddball nymph for some reason (started with 35 mixed roaches in march 2019 and I have not seen any nymphs 7 months later). Misting it would work if you also have springtails to eat the mold and maybe isopods to eat leftovers so flies and mites don’t infest everything. Discoids are the only roach I’ve bred and have had no success breeding whatsoever, I fed them fruit every other day and misted the substrate a bit, but of course with ventilation and a high temperature the container will dessicate in a few hours. I don’t have the time to mist the roaches every few hours so if moisture is the reason they’re not breeding then I’ll have to keep them in a moist enclosure with springtails and sowbugs, but mold still grows prolifically in a moist enclosure with barely any ventilation and mold covering everything is not a suitable condition for springtails or isopods. I’ll be forced to keep them in a moist and barely ventilated container if I expect the moisture to not evaporate rapidly, and this is the perfect environment for: mold, phorid flies, grain/flour mites, and other pests.