Tips and tricks??

anteaterlover05

Arachnopeon
I just recently purchased an avicularia avicularia. I had one in the past that was my first tarantula and it died, my suspicion, due to not eating. It didn’t eat the whole time I had it which was about 5months. I had tried just about everything to get it to eat. I have a 10gal tank, that is quite tall with good ventilation I also keep track of the humidity and temp to keep it about 70 for humidity and temp. I also have plenty of foliage in the top as well as cork and sticks for climbing. Anyways how can I avoid something like that happening again with my new tarantula?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I have a 10gal tank, that is quite tall with good ventilation
Where is the ventilation located on the enclosure? This is more important than how much ventilation.

I also keep track of the humidity and temp to keep it about 70 for humidity and temp.
As long as you don't live in a fridge then temps aren't an issue. Don't chase humidity percentages, this is one of the best ways to kill Aviculariinae, they should be kept mostly dry.

Research Avicularia husbandry on this site or look for a rehousing/husbandry vid on Tom Moran's YouTube channel

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
it probably didnt starve to death since a t can fast for 5 months not eating pretty easily.plus it could have been old/wild caught male etc.along with just bad husbandry on your part your best bet would be to use the search function here to read/learn about caring for it.would be good to post pics of your current set up best of luck to you

Last edited:

anteaterlover05

Arachnopeon
The not eating leading to death could have come because you were trying to maintain a specific humidity and temp %. Disregard both of those concepts and keep the Avicularia dry/mostly dry substrate with a water dish, do not mist or add humidity or think about humidity, and have active airflow!
I just recently purchased an avicularia avicularia. I had one in the past that was my first tarantula and it died, my suspicion, due to not eating. It didn’t eat the whole time I had it which was about 5months. I had tried just about everything to get it to eat. I have a 10gal tank, that is quite tall with good ventilation I also keep track of the humidity and temp to keep it about 70 for humidity and temp. I also have plenty of foliage in the top as well as cork and sticks for climbing. Anyways how can I avoid something like that happening again with my new tarantula?

Attachments

Manny

ArachnoAquarium
Arachnosupporter
@anteaterlover05 there is so much wrong with that enclosure. I suggest researching keeping avic’s. It will immediately become obvious with just a tiny bit of research.

anteaterlover05

Arachnopeon
@anteaterlover05 there is so much wrong with that enclosure. I suggest researching keeping avic’s. It will immediately become obvious with just a tiny bit of research.
I have done quite literally hours of research the first time I got a T, and again this time. I’ve done everything it has told me, just wanted to hear something from people with experience personally. Maybe instead of just bashing on me, you could give some tips like I’m asking.

Hi
your enclosure is way oversized for the size of your spider.Also while there is sufficient cover high up the enclosure is lacking a wide enough cork bark or branch(something stable that your tarantula can rest on).
While they are able to crawl on those fake leaves it doesn't give them stable foot hold. Also avoid any rocks on ground level as its a hazard in case tarantula falls on them from a height.
The enclosure example from @Smotzer is very good.
Here is one 4liter tub with mine 3-3.5 inch spider inside too to give you idea what im talking about
20220927_095715.jpg 20220927_095412.jpg
Regards Konstantin

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
I have done quite literally hours of research the first time I got a T, and again this time. I’ve done everything it has told me, just wanted to hear something from people with experience personally. Maybe instead of just bashing on me, you could give some tips like I’m asking.
nobody is bashing you these people have given you good advice you should note each pic a member has posted of their avic set up has a good chunk of cork wood inside it thats a pretty good visual tip when compared to how your current set up is. so dont take things so personally they want your avic to live with proper care. which only you can provide. good luck

anteaterlover05

Arachnopeon
Hi
your enclosure is way oversized for the size of your spider.Also while there is sufficient cover high up the enclosure is lacking a wide enough cork bark or branch(something stable that your tarantula can rest on).
While they are able to crawl on those fake leaves it doesn't give them stable foot hold. Also avoid any rocks on ground level as its a hazard in case tarantula falls on them from a height.
The enclosure example from @Smotzer is very good.
Here is one 4liter tub with mine 3-3.5 inch spider inside too to give you idea what im talking about
View attachment 429604 View attachment 429605
Regards Konstantin
beautiful spider! I wasn’t aware an enclosure could be too big. What do you recommend? I have removed the rocks, and I’ve found eith my last one that they mainly hangout in the corners in their webbing so I didn’t feel it was necessary to have some sort of large branch or cork, will invest in something.

cold blood

Staff member
It needs wood...large stable, flat pieces of wood that extent to the top...the plants should ne in contact with this wood and the floor should be clean and clear aside from a water dish.

Temps need to be between 65 and 90...a huge variant...nothing specific. Measuring and reaching for some magical humidity numbers is IMO the easiest way to kill an avic. They do not require humidity, literally ignore that term and you will be better off. Keep the enclosure predominantly dry. Ignore any and alll sources that claim required specific temps or humidity, their advice will once again, kill your avic.

example:

beautiful spider! I wasn’t aware an enclosure could be too big. What do you recommend? I have removed the rocks, and I’ve found eith my last one that they mainly hangout in the corners in their webbing so I didn’t feel it was necessary to have some sort of large branch or cork, will invest in something.
Hi
how big enclosure is dependent on the size of your spider.Most adult Avicularia sp will be content in enclosure with dimensions 20x20x30H or 30x30x30H in cm.They are not the largest of tarantulas maxing at 5-6 ish inch more or less
The branch has many uses in the enclosure. Apart from providing stable foot space for your tarantula( so it doesn't have to hang on the sides only ) also gives feeders way up so your tarantula can come across them....
Regards Konstantin

Last edited:

anteaterlover05

Arachnopeon
Hi
how big enclosure is dependent on the size of your spider.Most adult Avicularia sp will be content in enclosure with dimensions 20x20x30H or 30x30x30H in cm.They are not the largest of tarantulas maxing at 5-6 ish inch more or less
The branch has many uses in the enclosure. Apart from providing stable foot space for your tarantula( so it doesn't have to hang on the sides only ) also gives feeders way up so your tarantula can come across them....
Regards Konstantin
Will be investing in a nice tall cork or branch, but is it necessary for me to get a smaller enclosure? I had previously read that 10gal tanks were easily convertible for a tarantula habitat so that’s what I have.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Chasing humidity=someone who hasn’t done the research

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
Will be investing in a nice tall cork or branch, but is it necessary for me to get a smaller enclosure? I had previously read that 10gal tanks were easily convertible for a tarantula habitat so that’s what I have.
You can use 10 gallon converted tanks for adult Avicularia. I'm not sure what size or age your spider is, but typically a 10 gallon converted on its side is okay for an adult. A sling or juvenile it might be too large. It also looks like you have a screen mesh still. If I were you, I would ditch the rocks (like you already have done) ditch humidity and temp information, get cork bark and hot glue leaves to it or suction them to the wall, and also get a 10 gallon acrylic arboreal conversion kit lid from online (very cheap), mesh is a no-no. It may be better at first for a first time T owner to use a smaller cage. Larger cages are fine, but they do make it harder for a beginner to monitor eating, feeding, molting, and overall health, as well as the ability for the spider to actually catch it's prey. Smaller cages make those aforementioned easier, as well as easier cage maintenance. You could do smaller. You could keep it in that. It's up to you, ultimately of the size... But the other recommendations are firm.

Chasing humidity=someone who hasn’t done the research
At least not on here anyway 🙂

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
A properly set up 10 gallon can work provided you ensure it is feeding. Feeders can get lost in larger spaces.