Tip: How to get Typhochlaena seladonia to make a new trapdoor

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
Over the past couple of years I have seen several threads started by new keepers of Typhochlaena seladonia asking what can be done to trigger the spider to build a trapdoor. Some people suggested drilling a hole into the cork, others suggested to increase the humidity or add lichen flakes. While those suggestions might work (I have never done myself this so have no experience), I thought I'd share my own observations. I have been keeping T. seladonia for about 2.5 years now and it has been a learning experience. Maybe someone will find this post helpful - I have not seen it mentioned anywhere.

My suggestion works for spiders that require relocation to a bigger, upgraded bark slab, or for spiders that voluntarily left their nest in search for a new spot to build a trapdoor.

Most of us acquire T. seladonia as slings, and they usually come with a tiny piece of cork on which they built their trapdoor. Something like this:
T-seladonia-1.jpg

If you cannot see the trapdoor on this cork piece, let me help you out. This is a suspected male spider btw.
T-seladonia-2.jpg

By the way, if you are planning your T. seladonia purchase, AVOID any spider that does not come with its own trapdoor. Those take much longer to establish if the conditions are not right.

It is clear that this tiny cork piece cannot support this spider as it grows. What I noticed is that the spiders enlarge their trapdoor while growing, but when the area becomes too tight or too small for them they leave the nest and start walking around the top of the enclosure, and if not catered for they usually build a new trapdoor at the top of the container close to the lid, or in a top corner. For some people that isn't really an issue as they can observe the spider, but this makes feeding much more challenging.

At one point I had a spider that left its spot and didn't return to it for over a week. I decided to experiment and ripped off the old, now-deserted trapdoor from the small cork piece, and placed it on a larger piece of bark. This can be done with a tiny drop of glue or a pin, but I found that the silk itself has some adhesive properties and if placed firmly on the cork it doesn't fall off. It seems T. seladonia have very strong affinity to their own silken doors, because the spiders always find the old trapdoor in their searches. This species is extremely shy so normally they want to be hidden. When the spider discovered the old trapdoor it immediately went under it. Hard to see in the following photo, but the spider is in there, and it just spun thin strands of silk to connect the old trapdoor to the new bark:
T-seladonia-3.jpg

I can also tell this spider enlarged the trapdoor just a teensy bit by noticing new building materials from the lichen I glued on the bark.
As you can see, I do not drill any holes in the cork, and I use its curved side. I found that T. seladonia will adopt the curved side more readily, and it also makes it easier to feed them on that side of the bark.
The spider will keep enlarging the old trapdoor as it grows, and after some time it will be difficult to distinguish it from the entire cover. In this photo you can just barely see the outlines of the old trapdoor that I once attached to the bark, so I marked it for you to see.
T-seladonia-4.jpg

The spider that lives under the above trapdoor is an adult female. I can't end this post without a little bit of color, so here she is.
T-seladonia-5.jpg

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Thank you for your contribution to this species in captivity,

Im hoping for you that suspect male is a definite male to pair with your confirmed female! Would be great, even though for me your not in US, to still see these produced captively more!

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
@Smotzer several people keep them successfully in the US. I presume over the next few years the species will become more common. These spiders grow to maturity very fast, but the downside is that the clutches are very small.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
@Smotzer several people keep them successfully in the US. I presume over the next few years the species will become more common. These spiders grow to maturity very fast, but the downside is that the clutches are very small.
Yeah theres several people keeping them but I dont hear about a lot of people possibly trying to breed. And yeah I'm also sure they will be more common within the next 5yrs but Im sure they will still be priced gouged! lol

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Thank you so much for this! Mine was actually wandering around its enclosure yesterday for a few hours, and when I opened it to add a dribble of water it bolted out. I got the spider back in, and later offered some fruit flies which it ate and went back into its trapdoor. I have been wondering what to do, but I will emulate this. Mine is between 1/2-3/4" and it has only molted once in my care, about 5 months.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
thanks for there posting, and as I suspected they feel at home with some of their own, old webbing. I have found when I rehouse regular Ts, if i leave some of their old webbed substrate in the new enclosure it seems to help them settle in to new digs. My thought is they sense their own web and instantly recognize it as ;safe' or 'home'. Your trapdoor tutorial seems to follow this line of thinking as well. Great post, great info, great pics and lovely gal.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
These spiders grow to maturity very fast, but the downside is that the clutches are very small.
First, thank you very much for posting this, it's very helpful. How fast is fast? What sac sizes have you heard?

if i leave some of their old webbed substrate in the new enclosure it seems to help them settle in to new digs
Ive noticed this as well.

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
How fast is fast? What sac sizes have you heard?
My female matured in only 8 months, and I wasn't exactly pumping her with food.
As for the egg sac I heard numbers in the 20-25 range, but of course this changes from female to female.

I completely agree with @Matt Man - it is known that spiders incorporate chemical cues into their silk for intra-specific communication (to attract mates, territoriality) and sometimes even inter-specific communication (to attract prey). This can be a part of the reason why tarantulas recognize their own silk well and feel at home when given a piece of it in their new enclosure.

Marlana

Arachnoknight
I’ve done this too! I find it so stressful when they are wandering searching for a new home for over a week. Most of mine have no trouble building a new door and settling down. But I did have one that just wandered for over a week, so I put it’s old trapdoor on its new hole. It’s still there and has expanded the door.

I do drill holes but I’m going to try without next rehouse and see how it goes! Thanks for this post!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My female matured in only 8 months, and I wasn't exactly pumping her with food.
As for the egg sac I heard numbers in the 20-25 range, but of course this changes from female to female.

I completely agree with @Matt Man - it is known that spiders incorporate chemical cues into their silk for intra-specific communication (to attract mates, territoriality) and sometimes even inter-specific communication (to attract prey). This can be a part of the reason why tarantulas recognize their own silk well and feel at home when given a piece of it in their new enclosure.
Curious- why is it easier to feed them if their home is on the curved side?

Also, when hungry- do they keep their toes exposed from under the trap door? I mira does this, makes it easy to know if they are hungry without disturbing them.

@Marlana - above toe question for you as well

I had a feeling the sizes would be this small. I have A minatrix and they often have sac sizes of 40. Couldn’t imagine a smaller species having over 40 regularly.

Last edited:

Marlana

Arachnoknight

Also, when hungry- do they keep their toes exposed from under the trap door? I mira does this, makes it easy to know if they are hungry without disturbing them.

I had a feeling the sizes would be this small. I have A minatrix and they often have sac sizes of 40. Couldn’t imagine a smaller species having over 40 regularly.
I’m not sure! Mine always pick the front or side of cork, not the back. But I do drill holes for them. I have drilled the back (I make multiple holes all over the cork to give them options), they’ve always picked the front/side/top and always picked a hole instead of a crevice or flatter surface. So I’m curious too!

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +

Shot in the dark here, but its probably because the back is relatively flat and their are less nooks and crannies for prey to escape in as compared to the front. Love to hear OP weigh in with their reasoning though. My only regret is I can only give one award to this post OP. Thanks for sharing your experiences and allowing those of us to "stand on the shoulders of giants" when we take the dive into T. seladonia husbandry.

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
@viper69 that's a good question, and I'd say my answer is a mix of personal preference and what @l4nsky said. Continuing from the previous comment, it is a little easier for me to control prey's movement on the reverse side of the bark, because the negative curviness directs the prey towards the center for the spider to catch, whereas on the other side of the cork the prey goes wherever it wants and often falls off... As for my own personal preference, if the spider builds its nest on the protruding side of the cork then the surface area of the perch is small and the trapdoor cover is larger to account for the positive curviness (cork protruding outwards). But on the reverse side, the perch has more surface area (shaped like a bowl, not sure if it makes sense) and the trapdoor cover can be smaller - less building work for the spider, and I can sleep sound knowing that it has enough space in its nest for molting or just stretching legs if it wants to.

I should say that this isn't set in stone, I'm simply sharing what works for me. I know other keepers have different methods that work pretty well as well. As long as the spiders are happy and growing, I'm happy.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Hey, I took the advice and rehoused today. I did drill some holes through a piece of corkbark but I also just put some indentations and tried to pick an interesting piece. I took the old trapdoor off and placed it kind of in between the largest hole in the cork bark and near an indentation on the back side, using just the web as adhesive. My T is already constructing a new trapdoor and I’m really thankful. Previously it had been running around its enclosure a few times. Another note about these guys to anyone new to keeping them-they are fast! Behavior is more like my ybyrapora than avics or Versi

Attachments

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Very interesting. So since these dirt/ web constructs don't actually plug a hole in the cork bark, they essentially build blankets to hide under. :happy:

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
@Tarantuland This is great, thank you for posting your own experience! I am a scientist by profession, and one of the most important aspects in science is the ability to replicate results. Sounds like the old trapdoor method worked for you too, so this makes me very happy.

@AphonopelmaTX you are correct, it's not a plug they build but more of a blanket cover or a tent.

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
I hate to do it, but I might have to make my own thread...

Mine came without an established trap, & has shown absolutely no signs of even wanting to make one. She'll make little web "nests" on the side of the enclosure that she'll sometimes return to, but not consistently. She's (seemingly) healthy, eating regularly, & has molted twice despite being comically small. She's not lichen, nice airflow, moisture...she seems happy, but....no trap. I'll keep trying to figure it out on my own, but if she STILL hasn't made one by the time I find my damn camera, I'm making a thread....