Tiny Sling Mortality Rates

What is the survival rate of your smallest slings?

• I rarely lose a sling.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Average loss of 1 sling out of 50.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Average loss of 1 sling out of 25.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Average loss of 1 sling out of 10.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • I do not raise slings.

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Thought I'd post this poll / question since I only started raising tiny slings this March and would like to know if my experience is the norm. I haven't had a single mortality in the over 40 slings I am raising. I actually expected that there would be problems, especially with the tiniest ones. For instance - when I ordered some Pink Zebra Beauty slings I ordered twice as many as I would want in the long run because they were very tiny and very cheap so I therefore thought that they wouldn't all make it. Needless to say I now have 11 very healthy 1/2" slings.
What have all of you had as your experiences in this?

Gail

savian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Out of the 15 slings that I have, I have lost 2. Both within one week of each other. That was 2 or 3 months ago.

ps Think mine had bad molts and got stuck because there was no signs of anything being wrong.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I lost one itty bitty Flagstaff Orange sling for no apparent reason, and I lost my 3/4" B. emilia to what appeared to be the nematode/bacterial infection that has been a plague to many keepers. Other than I've never had any mortalities of any kind other than old age.

Out of slings less than an inch, that makes it about 2 out of 9 I think.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I lost 2 of 10 in their 2nd or 3rd instar during molts. Their legs were stuck in the molted skin. When I tryed to remove them, they lost the legs, and that was that. Their to small to try to doctor. I got them from the burrow. The rest are doing fine.:)

I,ve never lost a sling that I bought. Lucky I guess..

E

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I lost three slings this year while I was on my honeymoon. The petsitter shut the door to the spider room during a heatwave and cooked a few of them. Usually I've had pretty good luck with the little guys.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The spiderlings I have raised are always easy. I have never had a death.The only spider that has ever died on me was a Red Knee witha broken leg that couldnt molt and died later on.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I have not lost any slings that I have bought. So far, the only slings I've lost from my own eggsacs (well, not mine, YKWIM), are the ones that were deformed or had trouble molting out of 1st instar.
So, from 650 or so, I've lost maybe about 20.

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It wouldn't be fair for a newbie like myself to vote, as I have had only 4 slings, but ll of them are still alive and well a little over a month after receiving them! I hope they stay that way. I'm sure I dote on them more than some of you who have hundreds of the critters.

Bryan

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Haplopelma lividum
recieved from reptile outlet: 4/24/02 spiderling unsexed
molt: 5/16/02 new Ls: 3/4"
died: week of 6/8/02 ruptured molt

Avicularia versicolor "Acacia II"
recieved from Swift's Invertebrates 5/30/02 spiderling unsexed Ls:3/4"
molt: 6/18/02 new ls:1"
Died: 6/30/02 mysterious ruptured abdomen?

only two slings ive lost. or...had died I should say. Ive lost two others, but i dont think their dead ^_^

-V