tiny flies

silkenbullet

Arachnopeon
i guys over the last few days when i have gone to check on my b.smithi i have noticed a small fly in its enclosure i remove the fly ,but a couple days later there is another one i have checked the enclosure and it is not too damp or too dry and there are no prey remains.im hoping that the fly is harmless to the spider and has just come in through the mesh vents as the fly itself is roughly the size of a midge/knatt,but thought id ask anyway

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
I think they are called phorid flies (spelling?).I'am fairly certain that they are harmless,just let your tanks dry out and keep them clean and you should have no problems.I get them from time to time in my dubia colony,but so far they have left my T's alone.good luck.

webbedone

Arachnobaron
arent those just regular fruit flies, and yea what offkillter said they are harmless i once watched one get into one of my G. Pulchra enclosures and the sling ate the sucker!

AprilH

Petridish
Old Timer
I wouldn't jump to the worst conclusion first. It could just be a fungus gnat from the substrate...

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Fungus gnat, or phorid flies. There pretty much a staple in larger collections. I keep fly strips(non toxic) in my room. I get them in my roach colonies. Though they are said to be able to transport nematodes. They are pretty much harmless.