Tiny flies in T cages?

MD92

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So I once noticed a little bug, very tiny, fly from the airhole in my LP's container a few weeks ago. Today I noticed a BUNCH in my H. gigas enclosure. They're very small, most definitely flies (or something like that since I clearly can make out wings). My T's appear OK (aside from LP's butt being sort of bare though I believe that could be from a cricket that was in his cage for awhile as well. Should I be worried? I clearned out and moved five of my T's last night with complete substrate changes although I did not rinse their stuff out with bleach or anything. H. gigas was not one of these and appears to be the source of these little bugs. One was spotted in LP's new enclosure but I believe that's it. What do you think these are? (I am on Long Island, NY if that's relevant...)

THANK YOU

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Probably phorid flies from dead crickets. Did you try to search the forums? I've even made a topic on this.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They are probably phorid flies. Watch them, if they tend to run around on a surface a bit before flying away they are phorids. If they take off as soon as they see you they are some other kind of fly, like a fungus gnat.

Assuming they're phorids, take the following steps.

1) Clean absolutely all dead feeders out of the cage. They're laying eggs in the carcasses and that's what is attracting them.

2) Let the cages dry out some, theT's can take it for a couple of weeks but the flies can't.

3) Get a couple of glue traps and bait them by putting a couple of dead crickets in the middle. Set them out near or on top of your T cages and/or feeder bin. The flies will land on the sticky when they are attracted to the decaying crickets. They'll be stuck before they can lay eggs. Eventually the population will die off because all the gravid females are dying before they can lay.

4) Be meticulous about cleanliness in nearby parts of the house. Sanitize sink drains with bleach. Clean the toilets well under the rim. The phorid flies will also lay eggs in these places along with scummy dishes or whatever.

4) Continue this regimen until you haven't seen a phorid fly for at least several days.

6) Enjoy a happy fly free funtime!

Also you could search for phorid and get lots of good reading on the subject.

MD92

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Probably phorid flies from dead crickets. Did you try to search the forums? I've even made a topic on this.
They are probably phorid flies. Watch them, if they tend to run around on a surface a bit before flying away they are phorids. If they take off as soon as they see you they are some other kind of fly, like a fungus gnat.

Assuming they're phorids, take the following steps.

1) Clean absolutely all dead feeders out of the cage. They're laying eggs in the carcasses and that's what is attracting them.

2) Let the cages dry out some, theT's can take it for a couple of weeks but the flies can't.

3) Get a couple of glue traps and bait them by putting a couple of dead crickets in the middle. Set them out near or on top of your T cages and/or feeder bin. The flies will land on the sticky when they are attracted to the decaying crickets. They'll be stuck before they can lay eggs. Eventually the population will die off because all the gravid females are dying before they can lay.

4) Be meticulous about cleanliness in nearby parts of the house. Sanitize sink drains with bleach. Clean the toilets well under the rim. The phorid flies will also lay eggs in these places along with scummy dishes or whatever.

4) Continue this regimen until you haven't seen a phorid fly for at least several days.

6) Enjoy a happy fly free funtime!

Also you could search for phorid and get lots of good reading on the subject.
I didn't search flies, I actually feared the worst so I searched mites lol. These don't seem so bad now from what I first thought. I moved the source (H. gigas) enclosure into the garage and will let it dry since it's very wet. After that I might well start my own culture of roaches so that I'll have feeders. Thanks alot everyone.

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I didn't search flies, I actually feared the worst so I searched mites lol. These don't seem so bad now from what I first thought.
I feel like scaring you. There have been a few reports of phorid flies opportunistically causing human myiasis. Look up myiasis in google images.

MuahahHAHHAHAHhahhHAhahHAhahAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, Okay, There's probably only a tiny tiny rare bizarre chance that it'll happen to you.

"Thanks alot everyone."

Welcome. ;P