Time to rehouse?

Kieffer

Arachnopeon
Hi all. Looking for opinions here. Is it time to rehouse my GBB? I'm concerned it has outgrown the enclosure. Last molt was July 31st. I suspect by the end of this month it will molt again and I want to be prepared. Haven't decided on enclosure yet. Thinking the 8x8x8 exo terra as a juvie setup.

Current sling enclosure is from Jamie's tarantulas.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Jeff23

Arachnolord
C. cyaneopubescens (Green Bottle Blue) is a terrestrial T. It almost looks like you have an arboreal setup right now but maybe this is because your spider was much smaller than now. This is a spider that is really fun to watch attacking prey. I would give it plenty of space to best enjoy it webbing up and going after the prey. Make sure it has some points in the enclosure to attach web. On mine I placed some small pieces of cork bark and sphagnum moss away from the water bowl so that it would have items for attaching web easily in addition to its hide.

For your upgrade, the width of the enclosure should be at least twice the extended length of the spider. The length of the enclosure should ideally be at least twice the width. The height should ideally be 1.5x the length of the spider, but do not exceed 2x. You can add enough substrate to make this work. You can choose a round or square enclosure but I would try to give it similar square inches of space as the rectangular recommendations to maximize your time without having to upgrade again.

Jamie has some terrestrial enclosures that are nice if that is what you like.

Good luck and enjoy.

EDIT* I correct my self on the appearance of the arboreal setup. Apparently this is a popular way to do GBB's by many people. I did not do mine this way, but gave it plenty of space and objects to attach web. Perhaps others can provide the idea maximum height for a GBB.
EDIT* The dimensions provided above are minimum requirements for any terrestrial T.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It can use a bigger home indeed.
I keep mine in slightly bigger enclosures than what I would use for other terrestrials. I fill half the enclosure with branches/leaves for webbing, the other half is more bare, save for the waterdish.
A bigger enclosure is also helpful with this species being a bit skittish and jumpy, they have more room to bolt in the enclosure, instead of racing out.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
From my understanding, a GBB will use vertical space, but as terrestrials, they can still more likely hurt or killed in a fall than arboreals. Is that correct?

Jeff23

Arachnolord
From my understanding, a GBB will use vertical space, but as terrestrials, they can still more likely hurt or killed in a fall than arboreals. Is that correct?
That is my fear too which is why I chose not to do this. Currently I have my slings in round containers that give them about 5X their length in all directions. As a newbie I was worried about them bolting out of the enclosure. Mine seem to be happy with this extra space and have coated the full container in web. I have to uncover the web on the water dish every couple days. Mine never use the hide. I love this species.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
They are indeed terrestrials, still they are hands down more agile than the average NW terrestrial 'chubby' T's. Whit that said I don't suggest at all a classic arboreal set up for those of course but a bit of "height" wouldn't harm either if there's anchor points etc

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
many people think of GBB's as "semi arboreal". I don't know about that but I know mine enjoy a little more vertical space then the average terrestrial. In their natural habitat they are found in exposed root systems and low branches in shrubbery. Some several inches above the ground where they make web tunnel burrows. If you choose to give it a bit of vertical space, just make sure there are LOTS of anchor points between the ground and the top. They will web all that vertical space in a jiffy, they web A LOT. Once they web it up, there is almost no danger of them falling to their deaths because their webs go from the ground to the top of the enclosure. Not as high as you would give a true arboreal for sure, but a little more height is fine with this species. :) Maybe 4 times the DLS as opposed to 2x for most terrestrials.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Yea that definitely needs a new home and you have to set up in a terrestrial way....Dry substrate, water dish, and a place to hide.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Yea that definitely needs a new home and you have to set up in a terrestrial way....Dry substrate, water dish, and a place to hide.
Mine have never used a hide, preferring to build their own, using lots and lots of webbing to provided anchorpoints.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
Cute! I've only had my teeny one for a few days, but he doesn't use his hide either. He webbed it over right away. Love him!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I agree that it needs rehoused.

It needs more floor space and anchor points up high around the enclosure so it can web.

Last edited:

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
The trees are rarely higher than 12 feet and either cracks in the tree or natural tree cavities are never above 6 feet.
Exactly. .. up to 6 feet. I've never seen a 6 ft high enclosure for a T. ;)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Exactly. .. up to 6 feet. I've never seen a 6 ft high enclosure for a T. ;)
But that's because there are no enclosures in the wild and 99.999% of GBBs owners didn't know they have been observed living in trees ;) If I had the space, I'd make one w/such a height or greater if the Ts in the wild utilized such space. Many pressures factor play a role in determining where an animal lives.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
@viper69 lol I think we are saying the same things in different ways and misunderstanding each other. :)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I got ripped to shreds once for suggesting Chromatopelma cyaneopubesens was a semi-arboreal species. :bag:

Kieffer

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone! I rehoused immediately with some fresh dry coco fiber. Easy transfer. I just took the cork bark out w/ on it and moved. It kicked a few hairs at me but overall I think we're good for awhile. Here is its new home.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg