Time to rehouse?

cold blood

Staff member
I love it, but its still just a terrestrial that's being adaptable IMO.

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
My GGB sling digs around the sides of the tub i have it in. piling the dirt up in the middle and webbing that up.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Yeah it will be making some safe spots for it to retreat to. Spiderling instinct is awesome :D

Kieffer

Arachnopeon
That is quite a bit of space between the substrate and the top you have there @Kieffer.
I thought so too, but I did not want to add too much only to have to remove some once it gets bigger. So far, so good. GBB seems a little stressed, which from what I understand is normal.

The last two days it has spent on the upper left corner. Just today I noticed it has started to web this corner.

Kieffer

Arachnopeon
IMG_2517.JPG My GBB has finally settled in and made the cork hide its home. I like this pic because you can see it's beady little eyes :)

Kieffer

Arachnopeon
Been awhile since I posted, my apologies!
How time flies! Just a little update for anyone who might see this.

So, not long after this, my 2 year old managed to get to the enclosure and push it off its shelf which destroyed it. I know, I know, bad placement on my part! It was certainty up & away, and I won’t get into the details.

Long story short, GBB survived. She (yup, figured out she is a female) took the ride in her cork bark. How do I know? Well, it gets better!

When this occurred, I was away from home working in another state for the day. My wife frantically called me at the end of my work day explaining that the tarantula cage is in pieces on the ground and she’s minutes away from booking a hotel because there is tarantula loose in the house.

I talked her down over the phone and told her the best thing to do was to see if the tarantula was within the ‘mess’ all over the floor. She sent me a picture and the only way I can describe it is… half an enclosure, shards of plastic and coco fiber everywhere in a pile on the floor.

I had to come up with a plan quickly, set an expectation and get my wife to agree. This included a temporary home and locating the T. She ultimately agreed.

First, the home. I directed new to grab a Rubbermaid tote, that I knew was empty, from the garage, and to grab the bag of coco fiber that was in the garage as well. Dump the coco fiber in the tote.

After she did this, it was step 2… find the T. From the picture, I could see no tracks away from the mess and, because the GBB spent so much time in its hide, I had a feeling that it was inside it. So, I asked if my wife could spot the cork bark tube and she did. Then I told her to grab a pen, pencil, anything to use as a stick because she needs to use it to poke through one of the ends to see if the tarantula is inside. She agreed and then… silence.

Her silence was followed by a scream of “it’s in there!”. I told her to place that into the tote, close the top and I’ll deal with it when I get home tomorrow. So, she did, and here we are 7 years later. My GBB has been in a large kritter keeper, much, much higher than any of my kids can reach ,ever since. She has since grown out of her cork bark log and instead sits in the center of her massive webbing directly in the center (& above) everything else in the enclosure.

Just wanted to share. God bless my wife, lol. Thanks for reading if you got this far.