Time to rehouse p Miranda?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
my adult female won’t eat she is in a 10 gallon , anything I can do to get her to eat or give her smaller container? Could large 10gal sideways stress her out ?

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Honestly dude you have more issues in the last 2 month's than i have had with over a decade of keeping and starting out with old world tarantulas. If i was you i would take a step back and consider getting rid of your tarantulas and come back to them later when better prepared.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
We need photos (definitely not just because I want to see your P. miranda female lol). I'd put an adult in something the size of a 10 gallon vertical though it would be pretty much the perfect size.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
I'm sure the issue isn't the size of the enclosure, but more likely everything in and around it.

Honestly dude you have more issues in the last 2 month's than i have had with over a decade of keeping and starting out with old world tarantulas. If i was you i would take a step back and consider getting rid of your tarantulas and come back to them later when better prepared.
Not only do I agree, I agree vehemently.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
my adult female won’t eat she is in a 10 gallon , anything I can do to get her to eat or give her smaller container? Could large 10gal sideways stress her out ?
An adult female Poecilotheria (so assuming she's 5"+ in DLS) should be absolutely fine in an enclosure that size, so it's unlikely that the size of the enclosure is the issue. If she feels stressed/insecure, she may not have enough coverage or be set up wrong. Either that or she's just not hungry.

The information you've given us is not enough for us to help find the problem. We need pictures of the T and her setup if we're to be of any assistance.

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
Why do u have a Poecilotheria set up like a terrestrial? You know it’s an arboreal species right??
Is that a piece of foam in there???
You really REALLY need to look up pokie care...for u AND the spider unless you want a dead T or to get bit.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Why do u have a Poecilotheria set up like a terrestrial? You know it’s an arboreal species right??
Is that a piece of foam in there???
You really REALLY need to look up pokie care...for u AND the spider unless you want a dead T or to get bit.
The tank is vertical flipped 10 gal you got any proper examples of yours haha . 4E2AB0A4-B81E-4E09-8A8F-4CD40B0F05D1.jpeg

Both of those spiders look quite underweight.
Yeah I know I posted previous threads about them refusing to eat but they finally started eating again .
What can I use to give them more climbing space ??? I cannot afford bulk cork bark yet , it’s real expensive. Should had bought some years ago when I had the money .
Even if I wash and cure outdoor bark , it will still mold.
What do you use to sift threw top soil? And filter our anything that is too big ???

Last edited by a moderator:

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
C4EE861F-C4FF-4300-8B50-DEC7D1E32373.jpeg 902BA9B1-BEBA-42D0-8494-66A4D89EF1A2.jpeg 58F410CF-2333-429B-8950-E48F5B603200.jpeg

It’s not a pokie but the same care. If you can’t afford corkbark just use lots of fake leaves, I’ve had to do it before.
They need anchor points to web up and something to get behind to feel covered up. I don’t believe pokies are super defensive, by that I mean that in my experience they would much rather hid or run than fight, but with no proper cover to help them feel secure they would be more likely to stand and fight.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
View attachment 321130 View attachment 321129 View attachment 321128

It’s not a pokie but the same care. If you can’t afford corkbark just use lots of fake leaves, I’ve had to do it before.
They need anchor points to web up and something to get behind to feel covered up. I don’t believe pokies are super defensive, by that I mean that in my experience they would much rather hid or run than fight, but with no proper cover to help them feel secure they would be more likely to stand and fight.
Anywhere you can buy a bulk bag of fake leaves. ? Mines already in a tank or some somewhere . Man I need a job soon , what do you filter top soil with to get all the coarse stuff out????
Should I make another substrate thread?

I stay not trusting outdoor wood even if you cook it In oven no way to prevent molding . And pesticides risk they could be sprayed by aircraft , hosing them off could remove it .

Last edited:

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
Anywhere you can buy a bulk bag of fake leaves. ? Mines already in a tank or some somewhere . Man I need a job soon , what do you filter top soil with to get all the coarse stuff out????
Should I make another substrate thread?
I buy the plastic ones from like petsmart.
If you have a hobby lobby close by they should have like silk plants, I got some for like 2$. Marshals carry’s fake plants, some dollar stores.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I buy the plastic ones from like petsmart.
If you have a hobby lobby close by they should have like silk plants, I got some for like 2$. Marshals carry’s fake plants, some dollar stores.
Your saying you can use fake plants from a craft store also if you wash them well In Soap??
What about soil

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Your saying you can use fake plants from a craft store also if you wash them well In Soap??
What about soil
Soil is literally anything that is less than $1.50 and sold as either 'topsoil' or 'for filling in holes', the brand I like and use is called Timberline. I'm also in Ohio so it 'should' be where you are too. To sift it sometimes I use like a cheap metal or plastic colander from Target or Walmart or something.

Now when I bought my bag, it was decently wet inside. Not sopping wet or anything but definitely ready for moisture dependent species, now if your using it for a pokie, you could leave it a bit damp or you could put it in like a Rubbermade tub and then turn it over and aerate it over several days/one week or so to dry it out. I don't recommend baking it. Too much of a hassle and too dangerous. Besides it does more harm than good by 'sterilising' the substrate, allowing more micro-organisms to get a foothold and 'explode' in the enclosure. This generally is almost always harmless but it can be a pain.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
What about soil
Your telling me you have been a member on arachnoboards for over 8 years now and your just now hearing about fake plants? Your trolling hard dude. Another post about substrate really? What could be so hard about filtering substrate before using it?

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Yeah, based on those pics I'm going to guess that the lack of cover is making the T stressed and thus why they're not eating so well.

You have that half-log that's partially buried, it'd probably be more useful if you took it and set it upright against the side or a corner of the tank and fixed some fake leaves to the top with a hot glue gun. Still not optimal but it'd work better than how it's being utilized now.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Your telling me you have been a member on arachnoboards for over 8 years now and your just now hearing about fake plants? Your trolling hard dude. Another post about substrate really? What could be so hard about filtering substrate before using it?
No I just didn’t know you could use ones from craft store one on pet shops don’t give you enough. I’ve got big bags of moss in petsmart but pet supplies plus never has anything good .

Last edited:

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
What about soil
I wouldn't use fake plants from craft stores. It would just be one more thing you could blame for the death of your tarantulas. Poor things.

I use silk plants for aquariums.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Make that spider a proper vertical hide that it can feel comfortable in along the back wall. Figure it out.. Ditch all that soil and go down to lowes/home depot and get a block of peat moss for 12$. No need to sift anything out, add a bit of vermiculite to the mix. You might even pick up a tarantula book to read on proper care and husbandry. And for god sakes get a job or you're going to end up in a van down by the river washing your socks with a dead salmons rib cage.