Time to rehome T. Vagans sling ?

andwhale

Arachnopeon
This is maybe their third or fourth molt since I got him/her about six months ago. Wondering if based on size people think it's time to move them up to a larger enclosure.

Also, after this last molt they've definitely grown noticeably in size, particularly leg span - wondering if people think this indicates a male as males tend to be longer and leggier where females tend to be stockier and more compact AFAIK.

Thank you!

260783921_1238150416697261_7433423712288445201_n.jpg

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
No idea about the sex, but I would definitely upgrade the enclosure size. About how big/old is it?

magouilles

Arachnoknight
yes a larger enclosure is needed, usually around 3 to 5x the legspan is appropriate
about the sex, a molt is required to CONFIRM but a leggier t can SUGGEST that it could be a male

andwhale

Arachnopeon
No idea about the sex, but I would definitely upgrade the enclosure size. About how big/old is it?
About 1.5" maybe 2" leg to leg? The little Poland Spring water bottle cap in the enclosure can give you a sense of scale. I got her as about a half-inch sling in early May, so a bit more than 7 months.

Any reccomendations on next size up enclosures?

Yep it can barely move, it's like a prison cell.
Oof okay, I will rehouse as soon as possible. Fwiw, it grew considerably with this last molt, I'd say it's close to 50% bigger now.

yes a larger enclosure is needed, usually around 3 to 5x the legspan is appropriate
about the sex, a molt is required to CONFIRM but a leggier t can SUGGEST that it could be a male
Okay good to know. I had read 2X legspan somewhere but I suppose that was a minimum.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
That thing ain’t moving much without some back up alert and some 3 point turning skills.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yes it it time for a rehouse for sure

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
If there is one tarantula of mine I absolutely hate rehousing it's the T. vagans. It was easy when it was under 2 inches.

Every rehouse after up to it's permanent enclosure was a nightmare.

When it was 3.5 inches it actually wedged itself between the inside of the catch cup and the board I had closing the opening of the catch cup and squeezed itself free and then shot like a bullet out and into it's burrow in the new enclosure. I didn't even see where it went. I was looking all around until I spotted it in the burrow.

Believe me when I tell you they are strong. I'm so glad it's in it's permanent enclosure and it's 5 inches now. Thick bodied, strong and psycho that's my T. vagans.

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
If there is one tarantula of mine I absolutely hate rehousing it's the T. vagans. It was easy when it was under 2 inches.

Every rehouse after up to it's permanent enclosure was a nightmare.

When it was 3.5 inches it actually wedged itself between the inside of the catch cup and the board I had closing the opening of the catch cup and squeezed itself free and then shot like a bullet out and into it's burrow in the new enclosure. I didn't even see where it went. I was looking all around until I spotted it in the burrow.

Believe me when I tell you they are strong. I'm so glad it's in it's permanent enclosure and it's 5 inches now. Thick bodied, strong and psycho that's my T. vagans.
That's interesting. Mine is actually relatively calm. Just goes to show, it just depends on the individual!

About 1.5" maybe 2" leg to leg? The little Poland Spring water bottle cap in the enclosure can give you a sense of scale. I got her as about a half-inch sling in early May, so a bit more than 7 months.

Any reccomendations on next size up enclosures?
Hobby Lobby has some model car display cases in various sizes that I really like. Just a personal preference.

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I have never tried these, what is the price range on them?
Not gonna lie, a little more than I like paying for a plastic box. 15-20 bucks depending on the size. But, the lids fit pretty snug, crystal clear viewing, and pretty easy to drill through.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Not gonna lie, a little more than I like paying for a plastic box. 15-20 bucks depending on the size. But, the lids fit pretty snug, crystal clear viewing, and pretty easy to drill through.
Hahah I get that! Ive been using the containers store deep heel shoe boxes that work for some species about $12 but are on the smaller size. 15-20 isnt that bad unless they are smaller. Might have to check them out sometime. Thanks!

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
That's interesting. Mine is actually relatively calm. Just goes to show, it just depends on the individual!
Oh yes they all have their own temperament.

Don't get me wrong it's always entertaining at water refill and feeding time.

One time I refilled the water dish, as soon as the water hit the dish it instantly grabbed the water dish pulling right to him.

In the photo, this is every water refilling time with it literally completely over the dish.

Sometimes it's a feeding response other times I believe it is guarding it's territory when it senses the vibrations from the water pouring.

Attachments

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Hahah I get that! Ive been using the containers store deep heel shoe boxes that work for some species about $12 but are on the smaller size. 15-20 isnt that bad unless they are smaller. Might have to check them out sometime. Thanks!
No problem. Here's 2 different sizes 20211208_203702.jpg

pongdict

Arachnosquire
Hobby lobby has 50% off right now. I just bought 3 of the mini-helmet display cases for $7.49. Dimensions are: Length: 8 3/8" x Width: 6 7/16" x Height: 5 1/2". I would say a good juvenile enclosure for terrestrials. Go to their website and search up display cases.