Time to Hunt another Animal

jc55

Arachnoknight
I understand it is disgusting, but it is normal for them. Number 10. balut is a normal Filipino dish too. I have eaten sheep penis, bird's nest soup, tuna eyeballs, century eggs and chicken testicles too! Like I said, a lot of it stems from culture, lack of resources, superstition and etc. And as I mentioned earlier normal is a relative term. Remember China has 1 billion+ people vs 300 million+ in the USA, and 1 billion+ people think it is normal.
My daughter in law is Filipino and my son is in the Air Force and they have both eaten balut but i can honestly say the visual is enough to make me go the other way,lol.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Hate to break it to you but even beef you get in the US comes with a carbon cost. Now that's not to say it's not worth it, but unless you have more money than god or are a farmer yourself, a lot of the food you consume is gonna be environmentally destructive. PARTICULARLY cattle. I try to source beef from two farmer friends in Lancaster when I can, but even the most sustainable cattle still burps and farts so I don't eat it often. Cattle is a climate nightmare in case you are unaware. Though there are some pretty cool emission reduction ideas coming out of, wait for it, seaweed.
I'm not saying don't eat beef, but don't try to deny it's environmental impact either, regardless of your source.
Let's address the real problem...the over-population of humans. This is the real problem not cattle.

Everybody trying to dance around the real issue and that is us.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
🤮

So it's ok if cannibals eat humans like in some countries?

This is the logic you're using.

All I'm saying there's fish in the water, mammals for meat on land and birds in the trees. It's choice and if people live where these things cannot be found then they need to move where the food is 🤣

You do know I'm just playing with you? I do respect other cultures and the difference in what people eat.....but there is a line no one should cross.
What's inherently wrong with consensual cannibalism?

What makes other animals more gross to eat than others?

The real answer is that sustainability-wise the whole world needs to go vegan eventually.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I gave up eating beef when I got a dose of botulism from a McD burger. Think acute Covid that hits the stomach and intestines instead of the lungs.
Then I noticed a few changes and did a little research.
-About half the chronic acid reflux in the US coincidentally involves eating breads combined with primarily beef.
-Beef protein consumes more resources than the next 10 protein sources combined.
-The US eats 50 lbs of beef per year per capita.
-Nose to the tip of the tail. When they say 'all beef' hot dogs... At the slaughter house there is some person with a flat shovel getting everything except the bones into the grinder. The USDA allows no more than 6% filth in processed foods.
-Switching from beef to other protein sources in the US would provide enough surplus food to feed everyone on the planet several times over.
-Cattle production for US consumption requires over 80,000,000,000 (Eighty billion) gallons of water per year
-Plus deforestation for cattle feed plus a lot of global warming gasses.

But the most interesting thing I noticed is people who eat beef regularly have nasty body odor. If you don't eat beef at all and haven't for a couple of years, being in a closed in area with beef eaters is really rank. Breath, farts and body odor. When a load of US tourists gets in a public transport vehicle here, the locals often move away or get out and catch another ride. Most people don't eat beef in Asia. You can feed a family of four for a week for the price of a quality steak.
That's not from eating beef that's just those particular people that smell of funk. That's the first time I've ever heard someone trying to pin that eating beef makes your body stink. That actually made me laugh. Farts yes, natural body odor no.

We have vegetarians and vegans here and not one of them claimed what you have.

I will not deny however the other issues of cattle. I encourage people to watch Food, Inc.

Last edited:

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
What's inherently wrong with consensual cannibalism?

What makes other animals more gross to eat than others?

The real answer is that sustainability-wise the whole world needs to go vegan eventually.
I always say when the food runs out I'm eating people. What's the population now, is it like 7 billion? Yeah I'll never starve.

Watch the movie 'Soylent Green' it's a solid solution.

Last edited:

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
Let's address the real problem...the over-population of humans. This is the real problem not cattle.

Everybody trying to dance around the real issue and that is us.
Is overpopulation an issue? Of course. Is it the sole issue which overshadows all other environmental issues? No. Hate to break it to you but even if we eliminated the entire human species tomorrow it still wouldn't get rid of the environmental issues we created yesterday.
Also on the off chance you think reproductive control is the best method for reducing population growth, I highly encourage you to look up the effects of investment in women's education and access to birth control/contraception on population trends. There are ways to address overpopulation that don't infringe on people's rights to reproductive choice. Investing in human rights and sustainable development can, in fact, help the environment. Just as environmental destruction can, and does, bring conflict. We are at a point in time where the future of humanity and the future of the environment are more closely tied than ever before. A point in time where overfishing and biodiversity loss can indirectly bring about piracy and one of the most infamous terrorist organizations of this century.
This is why I'm bizzarely pursuing a joint degree in animal behavior and environmental studies with a focus in human rights. The issues our world faces are more intrinsically tied together than they ever appear at first glance. Environmentalism is nothing without environmental justice.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Is it the sole issue which overshadows all other environmental issues?
People are always trying to narrow the problem, and solution, down to the simplistic. Preferably one issue. Spectacular, even mind boggling. It's like the pre-frontal cortex and analytical thinking has been stuffed in a closet to be ignored.
In the case of the environment start with the dawn of the industrial age and every non sustainable action taken from then on. Trillions of causes.

On the topic of this thread, individual inhumane affronts on particular animals. The extreme of tunnel vision. Every person who tends to simplify and examine particular actions should start by spending a day up close and personal in the slaughtering pens of the beef and pork processing plants. More or less the ultimate ugly. Then work on down the ladder to the exotic food sources and inhumane animal treatment.

On a side note, the former King of Thailand, Bhumibol, set an example for his country the entire world could use as a road map. He moved the country and economy away from opium to numerous crop species, established hundreds of nurseries making sustainable crops and land management available to all, and made self reliance and sustainable life styles and development the primary focus of his entire 60 year+ reign.
During the rains and flooding of about half of Bangkok the very first directive he gave to the country wasn't how to cope with the floods. His first words were "Plant more deciduous forests." Address the principal causes first and foremost, looking towards the future.

Last edited:

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
People are always trying to narrow the problem, and solution, down to the simplistic. Preferably one issue. Spectacular, even mind boggling. It's like the pre-frontal cortex and analytical thinking has been stuffed in a closet to be ignored.
Is overpopulation an issue? Of course. Is it the sole issue which overshadows all other environmental issues? No. Hate to break it to you but even if we eliminated the entire human species tomorrow it still wouldn't get rid of the environmental issues we created yesterday.
Also on the off chance you think reproductive control is the best method for reducing population growth, I highly encourage you to look up the effects of investment in women's education and access to birth control/contraception on population trends. There are ways to address overpopulation that don't infringe on people's rights to reproductive choice. Investing in human rights and sustainable development can, in fact, help the environment. Just as environmental destruction can, and does, bring conflict. We are at a point in time where the future of humanity and the future of the environment are more closely tied than ever before. A point in time where overfishing and biodiversity loss can indirectly bring about piracy and one of the most infamous terrorist organizations of this century.
This is why I'm bizzarely pursuing a joint degree in animal behavior and environmental studies with a focus in human rights. The issues our world faces are more intrinsically tied together than they ever appear at first glance. Environmentalism is nothing without environmental justice.
It is as simple as that, yes...humans are the problem and is the majority of the problem to Earth's environmental issues.

We have destroyed the oceans, rivers, lakes, land and sky. No degree is going to fix the issues at hand period.

We have overpopulated the planet and our civilization is still primitive. We are basically still flying the same type of planes, living in the same type of housing and driving the same type of vehicles, sorry electric doesn't cut it. People living in 'green' housing is an extreme minority.

Archaeology teaches that every great civilization comes to an end proven throughout history. This is a fact and based on that we have as a whole reached our peak on this planet.

Every space program still hasn't put colonization as a reality yet. So at 7.7 billion on this planet we in essence will eventually extinguish ourselves on the path we are set on.

Human rights??? Yeah I think we're past that. Humans are the only animal on this planet that can't stop having sex. It's time to get making babies under control or we'll be at 9 billion in not so many more years.

Besides.....the majority of people I see having kids nowadays have no business having kids to begin with.

Would I like a better solution??? Of course I do I'm not that ignorant. I have a better chance at winning the lotto than there ever being a solution in my lifetime however.

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
It is as simple as that, yes...humans are the problem and is the majority of the problem to Earth's environmental issues.

We have destroyed the oceans, rivers, lakes, land and sky. No degree is going to fix the issues at hand period.

We have overpopulated the planet and our civilization is still primitive. We are basically still flying the same type of planes, living in the same type of housing and driving the same type of vehicles, sorry electric doesn't cut it. People living in 'green' housing is an extreme minority.

Archaeology teaches that every great civilization comes to an end proven throughout history. This is a fact and based on that we have as a whole reached our peak on this planet.

Every space program still hasn't put colonization as a reality yet. So at 7.7 billion on this planet we in essence will eventually extinguish ourselves on the path we are set on.

Human rights??? Yeah I think we're past that. Humans are the only animal on this planet that can't stop having sex. It's time to get making babies under control or we'll be at 9 billion in not so many more years.

Besides.....the majority of people I see having kids nowadays have no business having kids to begin with.

Would I like a better solution??? Of course I do I'm not that ignorant. I have a better chance at winning the lotto than there ever being a solution in my lifetime however.
Really just missed the part about investment in women's education, health justice, birth control (including male birth control which is barely even on the market), and contraception reducing population growth didn't we :rofl: . And yes, humans are the problem, but it's our actions as a species more than our simple existence that has endangered this planet-- overpopulation is only part of a very large picture. Fun article here about that. A good quote: "Treating people as the problem isn’t just misguided — it’s dangerous. When concern about population becomes central to environmental policy, said researcher Betsy Hartman, 'racism and xenophobia are always waiting in the wings.'"

The vast majority of the worlds carbon emmisions, of the world's deforestation, overfishing, etc, rest at the feet of corporations, not individuals. Overpopulation is an issue, but to pretend it is the sole issue is dangerously simplistic. The reason I often joke about our species being an evolutionary mistake and enjoy @viper69's posts so much is less about Homo sapiens themselves and more about the dangerously toxic relationship with our world that we have developed. A toxic relationship that is not unique to any one culture. It doesn't have to be like this, and solutions to many of the world's environmental issues exist-- we just dont feel like doing them, and are too busy stuck in international games of prisoner's dilemma.

The world cannot be reduced to a single issue. Truth, perspective, and understanding, all lie at the intersection of a million different issues.

Also, "humans are the only animal on this planet that can't stop having sex"??? Are you aware that overpopulation occurs in other species? Like a lot? It's just generally on a smaller scale and nature has more effective checks and balances against it, but it's not in any way unique to humans.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
In the case of th
Really just missed the part about investment in women's education, health justice, birth control (including male birth control which is barely even on the market), and contraception reducing population growth didn't we :rofl: . And yes, humans are the problem, but it's our actions as a species more than our simple existence that has endangered this planet-- overpopulation is only part of a very large picture. Fun article here about that. A good quote: "Treating people as the problem isn’t just misguided — it’s dangerous. When concern about population becomes central to environmental policy, said researcher Betsy Hartman, 'racism and xenophobia are always waiting in the wings.'"

The vast majority of the worlds carbon emmisions, of the world's deforestation, overfishing, etc, rest at the feet of corporations, not individuals. Overpopulation is an issue, but to pretend it is the sole issue is dangerously simplistic. The reason I often joke about our species being an evolutionary mistake and enjoy @viper69's posts so much is less about Homo sapiens themselves and more about the dangerously toxic relationship with our world that we have developed. A toxic relationship that is not unique to any one culture. It doesn't have to be like this, and solutions to many of the world's environmental issues exist-- we just dont feel like doing them, and are too busy stuck in international games of prisoner's dilemma.

The world cannot be reduced to a single issue. Truth, perspective, and understanding, all lie at the intersection of a million different issues.

Also, "humans are the only animal on this planet that can't stop having sex"??? Are you aware that overpopulation occurs in other species? Like a lot? It's just generally on a smaller scale and nature has more effective checks and balances against it, but it's not in any way unique to humans.
No we didn't and take a look around....that's right no one is really using birth control on a mass scale. Does 7.7 billion people on the planet sound like birth control is working? Not to mention the sheer amount of stds that is plaguing the big cities. No manner of what education is offered all people simply are not going to do it.

Humans ARE the problem. When I majored in biology back in the day one class and one instructor stuck in my memory. One of those topics was humans and the fact that we are one of the only species that cannot stop having sex. Of course the class was laughing yet it is true. So now you know too. I agree racism and xenophobia which is really people being ethnocentric is and will always be an issue as proven throughout history.

No we as citizens have no control this is true. People in power of every country and in corporations mainly are interested in two things, power and money. The people in power have the ability to put a stop to many of things but because of money they look the other way. So the dilemma persist and will continue until the powers to be no longer seeks and crave them. Unfortunately I never see that happening.

If the population was decreased by half all of these environmental issues would start to get resolved.

So how do we get there? Well obviously at this point there's only two ways with the first one not being an option. The second one could be an option but we are looking at much farther into the future. It will be the private sector I believe that will advance more into space. Once colonization of Mars for example becomes a success then and only then can solutions to overpopulation and environmental issues start seeing progress. This is not an opinion it is actual fact.

Let's say that will never happen and then we are back to square one. So how long can we keep on going this way as population is constantly increasing and demand for food increases along with it? By the time solid, realistic solutions are concocted then how long until those solutions get put in place?

You and I don't have those answers nor timetables. In the meantime things keep progressing as they are. On top of all that we have countries preparing for war just another thing the world doesn't need stacked on top of everything else. Yet we wind up right back at the beginning that humans are the problem.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
When concern about population becomes central to environmental policy, said researcher Betsy Hartman, 'racism and xenophobia are always waiting in the wings.'"
Nailed it dead on. And racism and xenophobia are the principal tools of virtually every autocrat, dictator despot and tyrant since the dawn of civilization.

It bears mentioning China has come the closest of any civilization in history in coping with the over population problem. But to live there you have to put up with an uber fuhrer and his cronies little whims. Come vacation time the stampede of the general population to get out from under the government boot heel for a few days has to be seen to be believed. The Chicago stock yards have nothing on the airports of China. Lines form all over the nearby cities to get transportation to the airports. Then the fun begins.

Last edited:

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I gave up eating beef when I got a dose of botulism from a McD burger. Think acute Covid that hits the stomach and intestines instead of the lungs.
Then I noticed a few changes and did a little research.
-About half the chronic acid reflux in the US coincidentally involves eating breads combined with primarily beef.
-Beef protein consumes more resources than the next 10 protein sources combined.
-The US eats 50 lbs of beef per year per capita.
-Nose to the tip of the tail. When they say 'all beef' hot dogs... At the slaughter house there is some person with a flat shovel getting everything except the bones into the grinder. The USDA allows no more than 6% filth in processed foods.
-Switching from beef to other protein sources in the US would provide enough surplus food to feed everyone on the planet several times over.
-Cattle production for US consumption requires over 80,000,000,000 (Eighty billion) gallons of water per year
-Plus deforestation for cattle feed plus a lot of global warming gasses.

But the most interesting thing I noticed is people who eat beef regularly have nasty body odor. If you don't eat beef at all and haven't for a couple of years, being in a closed in area with beef eaters is really rank. Breath, farts and body odor. When a load of US tourists gets in a public transport vehicle here, the locals often move away or get out and catch another ride. Most people don't eat beef in Asia. You can feed a family of four for a week for the price of a quality steak.
You've ruined my appetite for the foreseeable future!

mickiem

Arachnoprince
How sad........I don't care what type of animal it is, even cats, there is no reason to do this to any animal......I'm looking at you too China and the screwed up markets you have. Eat like normal people.
What is normal food? Pink slime McD's passes off for "meat"? We all have out own brand of "normal".

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Normal people based on western standards? I am a nurse and at one point in my career I worked at a small town hospital here in Texas. They thought I was disgusting for bringing/eating shrimp for lunch!
Your Texas coworkers were **** kickers. :rolleyes: