Time to feed after a molt?

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How long should you wait after a spiderling molts to feed it. It has been a three days now since my B. smithi molted and I thought about waiting a week before feeding it again so that its fangs and exoskeleton can develope entirely. I would like to hear some others fews on this subject so let me know.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The only exact answer is "when its fangs have turned black again."

I always wait a week with slings. It takes a VERY long time for a spider to starve to death, so just make sure they have water and it can't hurt to play it safe.

Pyst

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I usually wait 4-7 days on slings and about 7-10 days for juvies or adults. Personally I don't know that a spider would attempt to eat without being hardened up. If anyone knows or has first hand experience then please post it.

scjones22 where in TN are you located? Jackson here.

-Mike

anderstd

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I usually wait one week for slings and two week with adults just to be safe.

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Im locacted in cookeville, directly between nashville and knoxville. Where do you you purchase your tarantulas, I have gotten all mine from the Aquatic Critter in Nashville.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Personally I don't know that a spider would attempt to eat without being hardened up.
I don't think they would, but the issue for me is that I've never once succeeded at recapturing an unwanted cricket. So I prefer to be SURE it will get eaten, instead of having a cricket running loose with a T that's still too weak. :)

Im locacted in cookeville, directly between nashville and knoxville. Where do you you purchase your tarantulas, I have gotten all mine from the Aquatic Critter in Nashville.
Haha, that's crazy, I'm in Cookeville too! But ugh, as good a place as Aquatic Critter is, they're SO OVERPRICED. I've seen Ts there for a hundred bucks that I got for $4 or less from excellent online dealers. (AC also tends to leave tons of crickets loose in their scorp/T/lizard enclosures, which just angers me in general.)

I'd suggest http://www.swiftinverts.com/ , no question. Exotic Tropicals here in Cookeville is...only so-so with their herps and inverts, but I did give in and buy my big G. rosea there earlier this year. :8o What can I say, I wanted one and it looked sad. They have Avics sometimes, but they're kept terribly dry and miserable and would probably die on you. (I did get a guy to say he'd correct the terrible scorp enclosures, though, so you never know.)

Pyst

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Where do you you purchase your tarantulas, I have gotten all mine from the Aquatic Critter in Nashville.
I've heard good things about Aquatic Critter but I've never been there. Of course there's nothing here except for a Petco. I buy my stuff mostly from a few individuals here on the boards. If you want to buy online you might want to check the review links below:

Online Seller/Breeder Reviews

Online Dealer Reviews